C200 vs R200

docwatson

Adventurer
So I am on the fence about a R51 Pathfinder. Personally I want a Frontier, but the wife is really pushing for the R51. What I would like to know is if anyone has any experience fitting the ARB air locker for the C200 (RD106/RD201) in the R200 rear diff of the R51.

I have emailed ARB and they have yet to receive any feedback on whether it works. Both the C200 and R200 have the 200mm ring gear (hence the designation) but I can't find enough technical data on the differential to even begin to know if it would fit. I have posted the question on a pathfinder specific forum with no replies. Anyone here have any thoughts/ideas? Thanks.

skibum315

Explorer
Give Steven at Rugged Rocks a call ... I'm not sure I've seen anyone try what you're talking about, but I'm not as big into the R51 aftermarket as the Xterra (to know the intricacies of compatibility on the model ... just enough to be dangerous). I would think if you can get someone to check on the cross compatibility of the OEM gears (which is why I suggested reaching out to Steven), then you'd at least have some more info ... I'd have pretty high confidence that if the OEM ring gears were compatible, that the carriers would be as well ... but maybe that's just wishful thinking - you'd have to also have the carrier bearings cross over as well. It'd sure be nice if the R200 were just an IRS version of the C200 ... but Nissan's wonky enough I'd have trouble getting my hopes up for it.

As far as forums, did you post to TheNissanPath or NPORA? Seems like TheNissanPath might have more R51 info, but NPORA has a bit more fab/custom focus ... but, again, I'm not active on either one; just occasionally peruse ...

docwatson

Adventurer
Will do. Thanks for the info. I tried doing a little cross checking on my own as far as part numbers but didn't get far. ARB has the C200/R200A 29 spline as cross compatible, which has me hopeful but I am sure the front vs rear plays into that.

I posted on TheNissanPath but I will try NPORA as well. Seems like Stateside not many people are building the R51 (due to the IRS I am sure) which is why my searches always end up in Aussie forums. If only we had gotten the turbo diesel like the rest of the world, then I would have a locker!

stioc

Expedition Leader
Get the Frontier you won't regret it over the R51 when it comes to offroading. If you really want an SUV I'd suggest looking at the LC100 or a 4th+ gen 4Runner instead. Heck I'd even consider a Tahoe/Sequoia if you need the room.

R51s can be built (if you already bought one for other reasons- usually price) but if you have the choice get a platform that's well supported by the aftermarket. I'm saying this as a R50 Pathfinder owner.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I'm with stioc. The Frontier is a much better platform. The only advantage to the R51 is more interior space, and I think it's got a 3rd row seat. Put a cap on the Frontier and you've beaten the Pathy for space. The Frontier is tougher and more capable, has more storage space, and has way more aftermarket support. Plus the suspension is simpler, and it can carry more weight. The Frontier can be had with a nicer leather interior if that's your wife's hang up.

Yes the R51 can be built, but it will be more difficult and more expensive. In the end you'll have something less capable and less heavy duty. If you got that and wanted to explore and wheel a bit, I feel like you'd be disappointed.

If you need an SUV, look at the Xterra. Very similar underpinnings to the Fronty, super capable, good aftermarket support. If you want more space and\or more luxury, then go with the LC100. Hard to beat its all around goodness.

docwatson

Adventurer
So here is the situation. I had a 1998 Jeep Cherokee (talk about simple but capable) and my wife a 1997 CRV. My job is taking me to Honduras for a year while the significant other stays Stateside. So we sold both and bought a 2015 Nissan Rogue (warranty while I am gone). That Jeep (while in Colorado) soaked up a lot of my time so this time around I wanted something with minimal time effort needed. Anyway, I won't be buying until I am back but I figure I want to do my research now so I know what I want when I get back.

I far and away prefer the Frontier for the reasons you all have mentioned. My dream is a 2010 (no timing chain/radiator issues) Pro4x with canopy. My wife hates the idea of me getting a truck because she wants kids (why I haven't figured out yet) and loves the 3rd row. So I have some time to convince that 5 seats plus a truck bed is more than enough space, but in the mean time I wanted to explore the options with the R51 (happy wife happy life right?).

Not sure if that all makes sense but basically I want a Frontier but I am trying to figure out if the R51 can work if needed. Also I enjoy a challenge, which is drawing me to the pathy as we speak lol

skibum315

Explorer
Sounds like it's the 3rd row that's drawing your wife into the R51 ... so in that case, as these guys have suggested, I'd have her look at the LC100 when you get to the point of really digging into it. As far as space for kids goes, we've got one that's 2+ (Oct.) currently, and one on the way. I'm in an '08 Xterra, and planning to build it ... wife's in an R50 ... we've no plans to swap either, right now, and no concerns for space. That may change as we use them, once #2 gets here ... or down the line (in fact, I'm sure it will once they're bigger); but that's a ways off yet ... and who knows where our heads will be by then.

I get your point about being unique and enjoying the challenge ... so I'll just put this out there: R51 V8, Titan front end (google: "Nissan Titan Swap" if you aren't already aware) and then sus out the rear to match ... there's some thought that the Armada/QX56 IRS would swap over, but I haven't seen confirmation. The V8s got the R230 IRS rear diff, which has a 3.54 and up ARB available (for the overseas crowd) and I've spoken to Steven about it, he's pretty confident about being able to get 4.10 gears for that carrier ... or build it with the Rugged Rocks 4-link rear and 3-link front, with their custom Diamond axles to match (D60 outers and Nissan H233b center sections) ... either of those setups on an R51 V8 would be near the top of my current "I've got space, cash, and time for an awesome build" choices. But not if you're looking to avoid sinking a ton of time in ... ;)

Honestly, as was suggested, if you're looking to stay with a Nissan, look at the Xterra if you want an SUV and the Frontier if you want the truck.

docwatson

Adventurer
The V8 Pathy has the M205/R230 combo, so it may be the better option should I go that route. There is at least one guy on thenissanpath that ground out the ring gear and fit a ARB in the R230 with 3.36 gears. So the V8 could do front and rear lockers and both differentials are fairly strong (so I've heard). The V8 Pathy front axle shafts would be a way to do the Titan Swap on the X/Frontier and keep the track width the same.

But more importantly, I just got off the phone with Steve at Rugged Rocks and he said the R&P match as well as the shaft diameter and splines on the C200K vs R200. So it seems the ARB RD196 may fit. So R51 V6 Pathy owners keep your fingers crossed.

skibum315

Explorer
That's pretty rad ... thanks for the update!

In spite of suggestions to the contrary (my own included) I really do think it would be pretty cool to see more R51 builds; maybe I should get on tracking down that unicorn (low mile, low cost, good condition) V8.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
That's pretty rad ... thanks for the update!

In spite of suggestions to the contrary (my own included) I really do think it would be pretty cool to see more R51 builds; maybe I should get on tracking down that unicorn (low mile, low cost, good condition) V8.

See what you did docwatson? You've talked him into a Pathy! :D

skibum315

Explorer
Wouldn't (exactly) say I'm talked into it ... but it's something I do flirt with, probably far more often than I should really admit. Certainly wouldn't take much at this point.

I know the ins and outs of SearchTempest, Craigslist, and the Nissan CPO search tool far better than any one person should (if that tells you anything about how often I go digging) ... they're out there, but I used unicorn above for a reason.
:snorkel::costumed-smiley-007:friday:

docwatson

Adventurer
I guess it depends on what you consider low mileage. Seems to me with that growing family its time to get a bigger vehicle. I mean after all you have to get a dog and 4 people plus a dog won't fit in the X. Right? This guy took a 2" lifted Pathy up to Wheeler Lake. Imagine what you could do with the F/R locked V8...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU3QDGSiAQU

njtacoma

Explorer
As far as kids fitting in a pathy vs crew cab frontier. It will be years before you won't fit in a crew cab frontier and need the extra seats.

My experience (kids now 11 and 13) with a tacoma double cab was that when they are really little, you're not sending them off with someone else, it is usually parents meeting at the park that sort of thing, so the limited seating isn't a big deal. Even as they get bigger and are using just the booster seats, those are easy to move over to the friends minivan, so your truck doesn't take the beating.

We went 7 years before my wife decided she wanted a minivan instead of the tacoma, and we kept the tacoma for camping trips, etc.
If you don't have kids yet, you could be a decade away from needing the third row!

DesertFront

CONFUSED!
I hauled 3 grandkids and the wife around in my Frontier . . . No crowding no problems. I would go Frontier with a cap the pro-4x is AWESOME too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94