C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
A little more progress today. The fun part will be tomorrow, most likely.

14452781104_ec064c529b_c.jpg

vonguido

Adventurer
Nice work. Where you live do you have any frame rust at all? Im in Ohio and I have some on the rear passenger side....have a feeling another XJ is in my future that has no rust on it and lower miles.

overlandxj

so there was a service bulletin for the #3 fuel injector..... it needs to have a sleeve or insulator zip tied around it (7 dollars a mopar plus 2 zip ties)...... easy fix...... What happens is... the #3 fuel injector is above a hole in the intake, which lets the rising heat from the exaust manifold rise up and boil the fuel when you shut it off. Literally, no issue after that. best 7 dollars from the dealer ever.

overlandxj

Embarrassingly, no. How'd you fix it?
If this happens only when HOT and not when you start the engine cold, it really does sound like "heat soak".

Jeep came up with a TSB and a lame fix of wrapping the #3 fuel injector, but it doesn't truly fix the problem for most. Helps a little for a mild case. Here you go..........
-------------------------------------------------------

TSB 1803103 - 4.0L ROUGH ENGINE IDLE AFTER RESTART FOLLOWING A HOT SOAK
Date: 09/05/03 (supercedes 1802702 dated 09/06/02)
Model Year(s): 1999-2004

Description: NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine. This bulletin involves the installation of a fuel injector insulator sleeve.

Details: Customers may describe a 20 to 30 second rough idle following the restart of a heat soaked engine. This condition may be most noticeable when the engine is restarted following a prior 10 to 20 minute heat soak in hot ambient conditions of approximately 32 C (90ºF) or higher. This condition may be consistent with short city stop-and-go driving trips and can be aggravated by the use of fuel with a high ethanol content. Depending upon various conditions a MIL may occur due to DTC P0303 - Cylinder #3 Misfire.

This condition may be caused by heat from the exhaust manifold that following engine shut down migrates to the area around injector #3 and causes fuel vapor to form within the injector. This in turn may cause a momentary misfire of cylinder #3 until the fuel vapor is cleared of injector #3. The insulator sleeve lowers the injector #3 temperature to a point below which the fuel will not normally vaporize.

If vehicle exhibits a rough idle, and if a misfire of cylinder #3 is observed following a 10 to 20 minute hot soak, perform the Repair Procedure.

Parts required:
56028371AA Ignition Wire Shield

Repair procedure:
1. Cut insulator sleeve, p/n 56028371AA, to make two (2) insulator sleeves about 25-30 mm (1 in.) in length. See diagram.
2. Install one sleeve around injector #3, with the slit on the upward facing side of the injector. Install the other sleeve with the slit on the downward facing side of the injector.
3. Confirm sleeve is flush to intake manifold surface around injector.
4. Check injector #3 wire and ensure that the injector is rotated to a 2 o'clock position.

TSB for the cold start rough idle and P0303 code: TSB 18-010-01

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
All done. Now the Cherokee can support the payload of the tire carrier MUCH more effectively. Ride height is back to "just right" and it feels like it can support a bit more cargo, too. When I got this suspension nearly 10 years ago, I wasn't into overland-style off-roading, so I bought the light duty leaf springs. They still provided good ride height, and were nice and supple on the trail. However, the new tire carrier was definitely too much for these springs, and the AAL seems to be the ticket.

I'm happy.

14482416673_28794a6945_c.jpg

jeepinspence

Hello! Just read this entire thread and it may well have been the God send I needed to save my relationship with my XJ! I have an 01 identical to yours that I bought in Feb of this year and have been modding it to be an Overland vehicle. It's been a labor of love and hate and also lots of $$!

Like you I'm no mechanic anymore. Although I know enough about Jeeps to fill several journals I'm pushing 50 and have various health issues that keep from serious wrenching. I've been farming out the work to trusted individuals locally it has really impacted my budget.

My first mod was of course a lift. I jumped in too soon without adequate research and was talked into a 3" kit from Rough Country. The name ,however is somberly appropriate because my beloved Jeep now rides like a log wagon! I also had purchased a used set of 265/75/17 Goodyear Authority tires used only to find that they were 1) too large and 2) E rated so that only compounded the problem. It almost rattled my fillings out on the first few shakedown cruises! I have since replaced them with a set of BFGs new Rugged Terrains in a 235/75/16 along with longer lower control arms, an adjustable track bar, tfer case drop kit and other doodads that have improved road ability greatly.

This brings is back to the springs I think I'm going to have to swap out the front coils for something much softer. I also still have a little vibe under moderate acceleration. I'm either going with the OME 2.5" like you did or I'm going back to a stockish 1" UPcountry spring.

My question is which would you do in my position? I'm almost fed up to go back stock ,but I wasn't happy with that look. You seem to have had no regrets with the ride quality of your springs so I'm leaning that way.
Funny that I found this today as I was seriously considering selling/trading my moneypit (and dream) for something more sensible today. Thanks for the thread. You've built a handsome, capable, and tasteful XJ that anyone would be proud of! 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
License plate bracket. Built, not bought. Maybe I should stop making the Internet and pursue a career in fabrication.

14288328290_b25949225f_c.jpg

14288309769_22a6750142_c.jpg

14288308849_618fa75c1a_c.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Here it is all done. So much better in this position. I wasn't a fan of the thru-spare-wheel-hub.

14290586478_645e115c8c_z.jpg

The LED casts an eerie glow on my number plate.

14475971824_89fd36eed1_z.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Are you going to be at the mid Atlantic overland festival this July?

Nope. I'm bummed because that looks like a great time, but I committed to a Vermont Overland day trip on that same weekend well before the MLO guys announced the event.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
My question is which would you do in my position? I'm almost fed up to go back stock ,but I wasn't happy with that look. You seem to have had no regrets with the ride quality of your springs so I'm leaning that way.

Funny that I found this today as I was seriously considering selling/trading my moneypit (and dream) for something more sensible today. Thanks for the thread. You've built a handsome, capable, and tasteful XJ that anyone would be proud of!

Thanks for the compliment!

Our Cherokees are getting a little old. It can be done, but it's hard work to modify them for off-road travel AND coax a comfortable, quiet ride out of them. In my opinion, it's marginally more practical to thoughtfully modify a Cherokee that you already own than it is to buy... let's say... a four-door Wrangler Rubicon. The new Wrangler will likely be more reliable, more capable off the dealer lot, and more comfortable, but at an often inhibitive monthly cost.

On the other hand, I try to spare no expense on modifications, on a vehicle with a very low price of admission. When it comes to 4x4 modifications and equipment, it is very true that you get what you pay for. If I can't afford exactly what I want, I will simply wait 10 years until I can... or until the CEL isn't on, and I'm not saving money to just keep it mechanically sound.

I'm not sure which is the lesser evil, really. Despite the wear and tear, it feels like I have more freedom by keeping the inexpensive base platform that I already own. Whether that's truth, or just my perception, I don't know.

My advice? Follow your heart.

I've been running Old Man Emu suspensions for over a dozen years now, and I have never regretted them once. Your ride quality after installing an aftermarket suspension is rarely going to be as comfortable as stock. However, very few brands come closer to stock than OME, and on the trail, the OME suspension will impress. It cycles harmoniously with the terrain, smoothly ensuring positive contact under each of your four tires while minimizing bouncing, pitching, and rolling. It's graceful, and cat-like, but is only a part of the overall equation that determines a vehicle's off-road prowess.

If this sounds like what you want, and you aren't too concerned about fitting oversized tires, run, don't walk, to your nearest OME dealer.

Good luck with whatever you go with. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles