C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
This is the progress thread for my 2001 Jeep Cherokee, for the purpose of sharing the gradual evolution of the vehicle with others. At this point in time (2/22/05), the plan is to outfit the Cherokee for short-duration off-pavement touring, and medium-duration cross-country trips.

The vehicle was purchased on 8/26/05 at 22,000 miles.

57563133_ce6ed63c60.jpg

All cshontz photos tagged "01xj" on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cshontz/search/tags:01xj/

My goal is to improve trail preparedness and off-road functionality, with minimal compromise to on-road driving characteristics and appearance.

I hope to update this thread as I make changes or improvements to the Cherokee, but it will probably take quite some time. Hopefully these threads don't expire anytime soon. Thanks for reading! :)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I started with swaybar quick disconnects. I consider this to be the single most important modification, as a disconnected front swaybar greatly improves off-pavement performance and comfort.

76645303_36d605e925.jpg

Unfortunately, although they're "quick" disconnects, there is still a good bit of tugging, banging, and cussing involved when operating them. :)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Next on the agenda is an Old Man Emu suspension with 930/JC1B springs. This is a performance suspension from Australia that offers a 2-3" increase in ride height. A 3/4" polyurethane coil spacer will also be added to the front to level out the vehicle.

15623780_02ea880aef.jpg

This suspension was briefly installed on my previous Cherokee (pictured), and I removed it to reinstall on my current Cherokee. I swear by Old Man Emu over any other suspension manufacturer for all-around driving.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Next to install is a fixed yoke transfer case conversion from Advance Adapters, in addition to a double-cardan rear driveshaft from Tom Wood, and degree shims to adjust the pinion angle.

76645228_d9e81eb9a4.jpg

Late 1996 Cherokees and newer are much more prone to incurring driveline vibrations than earlier models mostly due to a really long slip-yoke transfer case output. The above modifications accommodate a longer, cv-style driveshaft, which helps to minimize working angle for lifted applications, thereby reducing the likelihood of vibrations.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
After the modifications I posted above, I'll be ready to install new tires. I chose to go with 245/75R16 BFGoodrich All-Terrain for their all-around good performance. Realisticly, this Cherokee will be driven on-pavement most of the time, therefore I didn't want a more aggressive off-road tire.

97920710_815df5b458.jpg

I'm just a little bit concerned about this tire size being too big. I know it will definately fit, and it will probably look great, but I want the suspension to be able to cycle and articulate with minimal interference from the tires.

UncleChris

Adventurer
I had 31s on my 1998 XJ that had the OME lift with a 1.5" spacer. I had issues with the 31s rubbing on the swaybar at lock.

Also check your bumpstops at stuff, at one point when I was running 30's with a 1.5" lift, at stuff it would pull in the fender. Make sure that you check ouor bumpstops(I used a hockey puck).

Looks like you have a pretty nice XJ and have good plans for it. Also note that 30X9.5 is probably the biggest tire you can fit in the stock spare space. Look into a rear bumper with a spare carrier.

Attached is a pic of my old XJ.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0105_50.JPG
    IMG_0105_50.JPG
    324.5 KB · Views: 547

CLynn85

Explorer
Looks like you've got a good bit on your plate. Can't wait to see how it looks with the new lift and tires on.

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
After owning several XJ's with any where between 30.5's to 38's. You shouldn't have any rubbing with that lift if you take out the inner fender linners and trim the front bumper. You might end up pulling off the fender flares under full stuff.

Looks like a very nice XJ your starting off with and your putting in some quality parts. I really like the decision of going with advance adapters SYE over an RE Hack n' tap.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Several years ago, I purchased an 34qt ARB Freezer/Fridge (MT35), which is the single best accessory I've ever purchased for my vehicles. It comes in handy for everything from trips to the grocery store, to weekend camping trips. It has been used and abused, and it doesn't miss a beat.

103080727_aab84fccc3.jpg

I would like to get a transit bag for much needed protection, and establish a better means of securing the unit. The bungee cords only serve to keep it upright, but it is by no means secure. I'm not quite sure how I'd bolt anything to the floor of the cargo area without dropping the gas tank.

103080609_0651cd87eb_m.jpg

The size of the MT35 is usually more than adequate for my weekend adventures, and fits well in the back of the Cherokee, however an MT45 or larger would be much better suited for longer duration outings.

Last edited:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
UncleChris said:
I had 31s on my 1998 XJ that had the OME lift with a 1.5" spacer. I had issues with the 31s rubbing on the swaybar at lock.

Also check your bumpstops at stuff, at one point when I was running 30's with a 1.5" lift, at stuff it would pull in the fender. Make sure that you check ouor bumpstops(I used a hockey puck).

Thanks for the good info, Chris. My 245's are maginally shorter, and just a little bit narrower than 31x10.50's, which should hopefully be to my advantage.

I have a pair of OME bump stop spacers leftover from a previous Jeep that I plan to install with the suspension on the front bump stop towers. This will hopefully prevent the fenders from being eaten by the tires, although I still expect some light grazing.

m-omebumpstopspacers-orig.jpg

In addition, I plan to make an adjustment to the steering stops to prevent rubbing against the control arms and hopefully minimize rubbing against the swaybar assembly at full lock.

96608172_c91849cfd7.jpg

Thanks for the fantastic feedback everyone! Your comments and advice are greatly appreciated. :)

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Chris, consider swapping the front axle for a High Pinion Dana 30 from an earlier XJ if/when you plan to regear it.

Drop me a line if you need any assistance putting this together. We'll have to do a day trip somewhere when it's done.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
computeruser said:
Have you considered making a false floor?

That sounds like a good idea, computeruser ... if that is your real name. :p I will take that into consideration.

Welp, I have all of my ducks in a row, and I'm heading over to my friends' house tommorrow morning for some garage time. More to follow!

107375958_adb2cfe99b.jpg

I've also been strongly considering roof top tents when funds allow. First, I don't want that kind of weight on my roof. Second, if I had a tent on my roof, I'm pretty sure it would get a good amount of use. Needless to say, I'm somewhat torn on the subject. It doesn't help that I've never seen one of these tents in person.

The AutoHome Overland seems like one of the best options of the canvas fold-out style due to its supposedly good availability and presumably lighter weight.

Scott Brady

Founder
cshontz said:
Welp, I have all of my ducks in a row, and I'm heading over to my friends' house tommorrow morning for some garage time. More to follow!

Look at all that cool stuff :bowdown:

Cant wait to see the progress

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
John B said:
Alright Chris! Lets see those completed shots.

You betcha, John. I haven't seen the new setup in daylight yet, but I'll go snap some pics as soon as I'm finished with my Eggos. :)

I'm very pleased with the new setup. The ride quality wasn't compromised except by the new tires which are noticably harder at load range E, but I could probably improve this by dropping the psi a little. I'm thrilled that the Cherokee is still very pleasant to drive, and the fixed yoke conversion really went a long way in making this possible. There wasn't a vibe, a shudder, or a rumble at any speed. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne