C.A.R.B. fuel can spout modification

cowboy4x4

Explorer
So I dont know about anyone else but I dislike the carb can spouts on fuel cans. So here is a modification that can be done in 5 min.

NOTE; Disclaimer
If you do the modification your spout will no longer be carb compliant and you cannot put the pieces back in. I take no responsibility if you do this mod.
The spout will look like a carb spout but will perform like a non carb spout. No one will know except you.

first remove the little spring on the white piece. Then pull off the little white piece.

IMG_0165Medium.jpg

This next part can be a little stubborn. You need to remove the long white part that is inside the spout. To do this I used needle nose vise grips and clamped the white piece, I then put the vice grips in a vise and tapped the black part of the spout to separate the two. It is held in there by that little white nub you see that will break off and the nub piece will come out.

IMG_0167Medium.jpg

next separate the red and black piece, they will just pull apart at this point.

IMG_0168Medium.jpg

Look inside the red part and remove the spring you see inside.

IMG_0169Medium.jpg

slide the black and red piece back together. Make sure you slide them together in the right position, the round black tube on the black part goes up, it will match where the spring was. Slide them all the way together. At this point you are done, the spout will not leak as there is an "O" ring on the black part. Dont worry it is a snug fit between the two pieces.

Enjoy a nice can that empties out great.

Last edited:

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Ver good. There are a variety of different CARB spout designs. I have done something similar to this to several of my can spouts that have a different internal design. The only downside is that they no longer keep fuel from spilling out if you tip them over, and the fuel will evaporate out of the open nozzle. I found some water bottle caps cover them fairly tightly to prevent evaoporation, but are not robust enough to prevent accidental spills.

86tuning

Adventurer
I use a supersiphon to transfer fluids. Works great, as long as you have a spot that's higher than your filler neck to put your jerrycan.

If you've never used one, you're missing out. The 'super' portion of the siphon is a valve that allows you to siphon by shaking it up and down in the fluid you're siphoning. 10 seconds of shaking the hose up and down, and the fuel will flow into your filler neck. Then just walk away for a few minutes, and it's done!

On my landcruiser, I can put the hose thru one of the rear sliding windows to reach my jerrycan (inside the cabin). In a pickup truck, put it in the bed.

No need to hold the heavy gas can at chest height for the amount of time it takes to transfer all that fuel.

Only downside is that you have a bit of fuel smell to contend with while the siphon hose is drying. And the hose is about 6' long. You can always use a longer hose, but then it takes longer for the fuel to drip dry...

No affiliation, YMMV, usual disclaimers apply

big_siphon.jpg

sj_at_work_anim%20(1).gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles