Buying or hiring someone to make a drawer system

ramonortiz55

Adventurer
Dan is right. I have made some drawer systems for myself and local members of the club. It all depends on what you want, and if you want a custom setup that is nice, built properly and with good materials your budget is not in line with reality. That said, if you just want something pieced together that will work I am sure you can make that happen. All depends on what you want and how much you're willing to spend.

There is a long thread on here somewhere with lots of photos of drawer setups. From mild to wild. From OSB to solid hardwood. From waxed wood on wood contact to heavy duty 500# Accuride drawer slides. It's an interesting thread because it compiles so many different solutions to the same "how do I store all my crap" question!

$900 wouldn't touch something like this that I built for someone, but if you came to me or some other builder with that budget we could help explain what you could (and couldn't) do with that budget.

20150509_121758-jpg.1074461

DAMN! this is awesome

Dan is right. I have made some drawer systems for myself and local members of the club. It all depends on what you want, and if you want a custom setup that is nice, built properly and with good materials your budget is not in line with reality. That said, if you just want something pieced together that will work I am sure you can make that happen. All depends on what you want and how much you're willing to spend.

There is a long thread on here somewhere with lots of photos of drawer setups. From mild to wild. From OSB to solid hardwood. From waxed wood on wood contact to heavy duty 500# Accuride drawer slides. It's an interesting thread because it compiles so many different solutions to the same "how do I store all my crap" question!

$900 wouldn't touch something like this that I built for someone, but if you came to me or some other builder with that budget we could help explain what you could (and couldn't) do with that budget.

20150509_121758-jpg.1074461

I love your reply and that build, holy crap! looks gorgeous. Too bad you are not close to the Bay, I'd be willing to go over budget for that...
I took pictures today and plan to sketch out a mock-up of what ive been thinking. Will post soon.

ripperj

Explorer
I believe it was mentioned above, but Baltic Birch is a great plywood for this type of thing. It had more plys(layers of alternating grain wood) and no voids. It looks great with just a rounded over edge like on a drawer side.
It's expensive(all wood is expensive), about $100 for 4x8' sheet of 1/2" in ct.

When you design, play with the layout a lot so that you don get stuck buying another sheet for a small piece. The bottom does not have to be fully covered.

Sent from my Passport

I believe it was mentioned above, but Baltic Birch is a great plywood for this type of thing. It had more plys(layers of alternating grain wood) and no voids. It looks great with just a rounded over edge like on a drawer side.
It's expensive(all wood is expensive), about $100 for 4x8' sheet of 1/2" in ct.

When you design, play with the layout a lot so that you don get stuck buying another sheet for a small piece. The bottom does not have to be fully covered.

Sent from my Passport

After looking further and further. This seems like a good base that I could then build around.

fireball

Explorer
Those should be clamped when they are glued so that the joint will seat properly. If you watch the assembly video pay attention to when he starts to sand the joint and you can see where he tears out a piece of the ply. That is a concern when doing that type of joinery in plywood.

I would be concerned that a 1/4" drawer bottom would not be sufficient if you are loading these with heavy tools and gear. Depends on what you want to put in them. I have my bag of recovery gear and all my tools in my right side drawer box and it is heavy! 1/4" would not be enough to support it.

You could glue and screw a simple box together for a good bit less, and all you'd need to find is a contractor with a jobsite tablesaw to make you a few quick cuts. Again, all depends on how nice you want it and how much you want to spend. IMHO, those boxes above aren't worth $190.

Those should be clamped when they are glued so that the joint will seat properly. If you watch the assembly video pay attention to when he starts to sand the joint and you can see where he tears out a piece of the ply. That is a concern when doing that type of joinery in plywood.

I would be concerned that a 1/4" drawer bottom would not be sufficient if you are loading these with heavy tools and gear. Depends on what you want to put in them. I have my bag of recovery gear and all my tools in my right side drawer box and it is heavy! 1/4" would not be enough to support it.

You could glue and screw a simple box together for a good bit less, and all you'd need to find is a contractor with a jobsite tablesaw to make you a few quick cuts. Again, all depends on how nice you want it and how much you want to spend. IMHO, those boxes above aren't worth $190.

looks like this guy with do 1/2" bottom and non-dovetail for even less!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
If you are interested in a DIY plus getting help from others, having a proper space to work, and not buying tools you might look into a makerspace... I'm sure there are several to choose from in SF.

Also to re-iterate. the best thing to do would be to call them (or the company above). Get 1/2" on the bottom, and then assemble it myself with clamps and wood glue.

slomatt

Adventurer
Are you just looking for two rectangular boxes with drawers? Or something more complicated?

For example, would two drawers such as this work for you?

IMG_2943.jpg

- Matt

Are you just looking for two rectangular boxes with drawers? Or something more complicated?

For example, would two drawers such as this work for you?

IMG_2943.jpg

- Matt

Hey matt, Something like that, but in a dual drawer system looks like a good base or start. It would just need to fufill my WxLxD requirements.

I have some ability, but if I can have someone make the basic drawers for me - in a very light efficient manner- then I can use my time to do the finishing touches to make it custom.

I plan to add a top fridge slider, foam for organization, and then a flat panel across the top with hinged access to the areas near the wheel wells.
There will also be a front panel the front with electric and usb outlets on one side, with a water tap on the other side.

slomatt

Adventurer
Ok, those drawers are pretty easy to make. For what it's worth I recommend building them as two completely separate enclosures so that you have more configuration options. As I mentioned before 1/2" cabinet grade plywood works well for the drawer and case, and you can use 1/4" on the bottom to save weight. The big material expenses are for the full extension sliders and the plywood. You'll also need a way to fasten the cases to your truck (turnbuckles work well), and latches.

I went with a single drawer so that I can store camping gear on the other side and keep the center of gravity low. The one drawer has more than enough room to store my tools, recovery gear, first aid kit, and fire extinguisher. I also built an extension platform that attaches to the front of the drawer creating a 6+ foot long sleeping platform. There is not a lot of headroom, but it's way quicker to setup than a tent when my wife doesn't go on a trip and I don't need room for 2.

http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/t4r_drawer

What are the specific dimensions you need for the cases (width between wheel wells, length from tailgate to back of seat, desired height)?

Normally I'd say come on over and we'll build you some drawers, but my wife and I have an 11 week old baby and my free time is extremely limited at the moment.

- Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles