Buying or hiring someone to make a drawer system

Sounds like you should do it yourself if you are not willing to pay a tradesman what they are worth.

if i had the proper tools, I would build it myself. I just think there's gotta be a craftsman out there who would love some money to spend 4 hours making a simple set of drawers.

I've worked with wood and made things myself, and know that i can go the arb route or DIY if necessary- but why do that if there is the ability to create a job for a hobbyist- also it would cost me a hell of a lot more in tools and supplies for things that I will only use once. -doesnt make economic sense.

'just two damn drawers' - Then build it. Learn a new skill. It isn't hard and doesn't take much time. And if you peruse the sticky topic all the design work has been done for you. $100 worth of used tools and built it yourself.

it isnt hard to make a heavy- mediocre, non-dust/water proof drawer system- i agree. But to make something of a higher quality- it is a rarity

kevin604

Observer
'just two damn drawers' - Then build it. Learn a new skill. It isn't hard and doesn't take much time. And if you peruse the sticky topic all the design work has been done for you. $100 worth of used tools and built it yourself.

As someone with little woodworking skill, I frequently underquote what it will take to get a job done when I'm doing work at home. 5 years of home reno's with multiple trades leads me with the thought that 4 hours does squat. I recommend drawing out the design freehand and counting the cuts. 1-2 hours to discuss. 1 hour to prep. 15 minutes a cut. Every cut. 1 board screwed every 15 minutes.

I'm in an expensive area, so my handyman rate is $40/hr. I think I would expect 2 days work assuming I was the design lead. 3 days if he had to figure it out. So 24 hours = $960 plus lumber / screws / carpet. That would be my rough budget. But it would be sliding wood on wood, no draws and assemblies or anything. As soon as I start to add slides then I would budget in measurement and redo times.

I know I could do it in 2-3 days. My trade won't be faster, he'll just do a much better finished job.

my .02

cwvandy

Adventurer
I have had several drawers/boxes (and custom water tank) built by Adventure Trailers. They built to my specs, did fantastic, very high quality work and the cost is within your ballpark. I would strongly recommend you contact Martyn or Mario and they will set you up. My build is found in this Storage section of the Portal (Tundra Storage project) and you can see some of what AT did for my rig.

rayra

Expedition Leader
if i had the proper tools, I would build it myself. I just think there's gotta be a craftsman out there who would love some money to spend 4 hours making a simple set of drawers.

I've worked with wood and made things myself, and know that i can go the arb route or DIY if necessary- but why do that if there is the ability to create a job for a hobbyist- also it would cost me a hell of a lot more in tools and supplies for things that I will only use once. -doesnt make economic sense.

The whole point is that it wouldn't be only once. You have a skill and tools to do all manner of similar projects for both the auto and the home. It doesn't have to be expensive at all, buy decent used tools to start with.
If you don't want to do it, that's fine. But your 'only once' is asinine.

cwvandy

Adventurer
The whole point is that it wouldn't be only once. You have a skill and tools to do all manner of similar projects for both the auto and the home. It doesn't have to be expensive at all, buy decent used tools to start with.
If you don't want to do it, that's fine. But your 'only once' is asinine.

"Asinine"??? Whoa rayra. Maybe a little New Year's chill resolution is in order. OP was just looking for a little advice. For whatever reason---time, inclination, resources, priorities different from yours---he wants to find someone to build these for him. He wasn't looking for a lack of civility or criticism from you. Someone isn't "stupid, foolish or unintelligent" because they don't approach something in the way you would.

98WhiteT4R

Adventurer
Hey Guys!
I've got a budget of about $900, and have been looking everywhere to see if I could find a wood worker or someone who already has the tools necessary to help me create what I have in mind.

I've posted on craigslist, reddit, and numerous other locations- but cannot seem to find someone. Just looking to see if anyone in the SF Bay Area knows someone willing to do custom work. or what systems I can buy (two drawer for my 4th gen 4runner) that I can then modify, into what I'd really like..

Thanks for any insight....
Adam

Not sure where you are in CA but there is an ARB drawer for sale on SD craigslist. Might be a good start (since the ARB's can be reconfigured for accessories) but its a decent price and you could buy another from Sierra Expeditions etc.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/for/5383897435.html

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Some thoughts and suggestions:

* You get what you pay for (especially when it comes to custom woodworking, plumbing, electrical, clothes, etc. - anything custom is expensive if done right)
* Wanting a set of custom drawers that will do what you want for the price you are willing to pay doesn't mean your price is realistic
* If you get a set of custom drawers for $900 don't be surprised if you're not happy with the quality and durability of them because
* You get what you pay for

Have you looked into IKEA products? You could buy some of their drawers and put them into a box. That could cost less than $900.

If you want to step up from IKEA check out the garage cabinet companies and online cabinet companies. I don't know what they sell a couple of drawers for but they may have what you need and you can then pay someone to make you a box for them.

fireball

Explorer
Dan is right. I have made some drawer systems for myself and local members of the club. It all depends on what you want, and if you want a custom setup that is nice, built properly and with good materials your budget is not in line with reality. That said, if you just want something pieced together that will work I am sure you can make that happen. All depends on what you want and how much you're willing to spend.

There is a long thread on here somewhere with lots of photos of drawer setups. From mild to wild. From OSB to solid hardwood. From waxed wood on wood contact to heavy duty 500# Accuride drawer slides. It's an interesting thread because it compiles so many different solutions to the same "how do I store all my crap" question!

$900 wouldn't touch something like this that I built for someone, but if you came to me or some other builder with that budget we could help explain what you could (and couldn't) do with that budget.

20150509_121758-jpg.1074461

slomatt

Adventurer
Hi Adam,

Are you just looking for two simple pull out drawers in rectangular enclosures, or are you looking for something more complicated that has curves to fit the cargo area of your truck, fridge/stove slides, work table, etc? Building basic rectangular enclosures with drawers is fairly easy, but the costs increase significantly when you start adding more complicated features. How do you plan to attach the drawers to your 4Runner?

You can ballpark the cost of materials by pricing out cabinet grade plywood, full extension slides, latches, and whatever else you want to include. Once you figure out your rough materials cost you then have an idea of how much budget is left for labor. I would recommend going with high quality 1/2" plywood as a good balance between cost and weight. My drawer is built using 1/2" and it has held up to many years of use with no issues.

- Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior