Buying Newer Tundra

Cletus26

Adventurer
Looking at getting a 2013 Double Cab 5.7, 4x4 TRD Offroad Tundra. Initial upgrades I'm pretty sure I want to do with the purchase:
MBRP Dual Exhaust
295/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs
Icon Stage 2 lift kit.

Already has a Truxedo box cover which I think should serve me well. I will be building some kind of rack for my RTT over the box but that will be limited use (and removable) as the tent will live most of its life on my 2002 Tundra.

Those of you with second gen Tundras, what mods would you recommend for and against. Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Re-think buying anything from ICON. I bought stage 4 for my Tacoma this summer. Front shock started leaking a month later and is currently at Icon's shop for rebuild. Calling their customer service atrocious would be giving them an undeserved compliment. Never again will I buy any components from them.

Interesting. My Icons are awesome (after five years of use). They've been responsive to me in the past. What was your issue? Are they charging you for the fix?

Auburn LSD is on my list. Stock "auto LSD" is a joke. I've been very happy with the BFG KOs on my truck. I can't speak for the KO2s, but others seem to like them. I'd consider them as an alternative to Duratracs.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Not to be rude, but you sound like a whiner. It sounds like you got a leaky shock, they agreed to fix, you shipped it, and they had for a couple days (but it would have been a WHOLE week, but for your 100th communication) - let us know when the drama unfolds....

I'm guessing here but did the OP ask about your bad experience with ICON? Post this BS elsewhere.

Yeah, you know, when I spend over $3000 USD on new suspension, I kinda/sorta expect it to work. And for the company to give a damn about their customers. I guess that's whining - silly old me.

Maybe if I had a dozen other vehicles, zero daily need for a truck, and endless free time to waste on this ordeal, it would be less of a big deal. As it happens, being without a vehicle is a huge damn problem, and why I was willing to drive six-seven hours (on my own dime) roundtrip to a shop to get this sorted in a day rather than two weeks.

Earlier this year, a five month old, $500 electronic device froze up on me. I called the company, explained the problem, and within five minutes they had a replacement device in the mail to me (overnight to Canada, I might add), and an email for how to temporarily fix (and thus continue to use) the device I already had. I had never spoken to this company before, and was/am nothing more than one consumer out of tens of thousands, and they didn't even ask for the original device back. This company cares about their clients.

Just a few weeks ago I ordered a Partner Steel stove through Element Outfitters, and sent a few requests to the manufacturer. Both the manufacturer and Element Outfitters promptly answered every email and addressed every concern I had. Two companies that care about their clients.

A few years ago I needed a custom cover made for the trunk area of my SUV. I called a company that made such things (for other vehicles), explained what I needed, sent them a few photos and diagrams with measurements, and had a perfect, custom made cover in my hands two weeks later, for the same price as all of their existing products. Again, a company that cares.

These are all examples of companies that went above and beyond what they had to do, without being asked to do so, for a customer that spent 6x-10x less $$ with them than what I paid ICON. These are companies that continue to not only get my business, but my recommendations any time I have the opportunity to talk about them.

ICON on the other hand - two weeks wasted without a vehicle, two weeks of endless frustration dealing with people who don't give the slightest crap about you. And again, when I spoke to them on Friday, I specifically asked for a call or email this Monday once they did what they were supposed to do. Again, the guy agreed and said he'd get in touch, and again, nothing - not a peep. That's close to a dozen times now. Empty promises, excuses, run-arounds. That's not how professionals handle business. That's not customer service. And that's why I'll never again purchase or recommend ICON.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Wow, seven paras on a leaky shock. Post of a picture of it, curious of how it put your truck out of commission for two weeks. How many days did icon have your shock?

Cletus26

Adventurer
So I purchased the truck. Getting the following.
-Stage 2 icon kit (I'll rebuild if I have to)
-Spray in box liner
-Tinted front windows to match the factory rear tint
-295/65/18 Duratracs on the factory rims
-picked up a set of barely used 275/65/18 Blizzac's on factory steel rims on kijiji for a steal
-ordered the 8" budget exhaust from BAMufflers
-found a set of Husky mats (the upgraded ones, forget the name) used for cheap as well.
All in all I can't wait to get it home and install the Icon kit and BAMUFFLER system.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
I love the Tundras but am not sure I could afford a newer one.
Looking forward to seeing what you put together.

Just remember through all this.....

ThisThreadIsWorthless.jpg

Runt

Adventurer
Cab mount chop / cab mount re-box so you can run bigger tires with that Icon Suspension. Diff breather mod.

Cletus26

Adventurer
Cab mount chop / cab mount re-box so you can run bigger tires with that Icon Suspension. Diff breather mod.

Ya one day I'll run giant tires but for now as my DD I'll stick around the 33" area. I'm planning on chopping my 2002 tundra this winter to clear 37's tho. Do you know if the diff breather threads are the same as the older diffs like in a 3rd gen 4Runner, first gen tundra?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles