Buying LX470 - What's Ahead?

Exeter

Greetings! Long time lurker, first time poster. I appreciate any advice and help that y'all can provide me in getting started

I am looking to purchase a Lexus LX470 in the next two weeks and have found most of them with about 150k miles for around 10k in good shape with no modifications/additions to it. I've found that LC's in the same mileage range are quite a bit more cost wise. Very transparently, I have never owned an older high mileage vehicle nor have I ever bought one. I am looking to learn but do not have much in the way of mechanical skills so I imagine my neighbor and Youtube will be good friends of mine.

I was initially looking at 4 Runners and Tacoma's but don't want to daily drive the offroad setups and don't want to have three full car payments!

I've looked at Slee's article in regards to buying a vehicle and will have a Lexus mechanic look it over prior to purchase. With that said though, what can I expect expense wise and maintenance wise on a vehicle that is roughly 15 years old with 150,000 on it? Most of these vehicles have timing belts replaced and maintenance records, but I'm not even sure what I'd be looking for in those. How long do these vehicles typically last when maintained? I also know the Lexus has the adjustable ride height. Can I swap that out once it fails relatively easily or remove/disable it? Can I swap to an upgraded suspension like Bilstein or Fox relatively easily and with reasonable cost with the adjustable ride height system?

I know that maintenance will of course be required and look to it as a learning opportunity, but am very interested in what the road ahead looks like for a vehicle like this. It will not be a daily driver, but more of a road trip and trail running/camping vehicle and I do not expect hardcore rock crawling, etc. I'd like to do some desert trails, mountain passes, etc and learn both basic mechanic skills and offroad driving with this.

I appreciate any insight you can provide me around this and advice in getting started! I want to make sure my initial investment is well worth it. Thank you in advance for the help in getting going!

Last edited:

RND1

Observer
Greetings Exeter - first off, are you looking to purchase an LX450 (80 series) or an LX470 (100 series)? The LX450 was only available in '96-'97 and is basically identical to the LC's of that era. The LX450 has a timing chain, but does not have AHC. The LX470 was available from '98 - '07. It has a timing belt and AHC. AHC in the 100 series has been problematic as it ages (especially in the rust belt). It's not a quick nor cheap rip out and replace scenario.

Both 80 and 100 series will run for a long, long time if well maintained. Each platform has it's strengths and weaknesses. 80's with solid axles seem to be preferred if you're doing a lot of offroad. 100 series is also very capable off road and eats up highway miles with ease. Both are lousy on gas, but 100 may be a bit better (even w the V8). You can find a lot more information on IH8MUD. If I was in your shoes, here's my search criteria by priority: 1. Non rusty undercarriage (and body) 2. Service records 3. PPI results (accident history/ upcoming repairs) 4. Mileage

Good luck in your search - let us know what you find.

Exeter

You are 100% correct, it was the LX470. Apologies on the confusion. I've edited my initial post.

Given the information that you shared around the AHC being problematic, I wonder if it wouldn't benefit me more to spend an extra thousand or two and get the Land Cruiser? The reality is this vehicle will see mostly highway miles as I am in central Texas and will need to travel quite a bit to make it to trails and the passes I want to run and camp at.

Thanks again for the insight!

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
AHC gets a bad rap mainly because most dont understand the system. I run and love AHC, our LX has been purpose built for travel and towing and does it with a quiet great ride. Having owned both LC and LX I will take the LX hands down. You will find overall the Lexus will have a better service record and most have been dealer service with documented records through Lexus.com. The Lexus offers a superior ride and handle on the along with a much quieter ride over the LC.

You best served to have any used LC or LX looked at your local dealership if you are not an expert. Im not saying to necessarily have it serviced there but an inspection can ID potential problems an uneducated eye would miss possibly saving you 1000's. I would stay away from any rust if possible no good ever comes out a rusted vehicle.

Nice maintained LC or LX do not last long so be funded in advance and be ready to jump.

@Exeter Welcome!. I'm going to echo what Phil said. I have a 96 LX and 2007. I planned on replacing the AHC but soon began to like the system. However, if it fails it can be replaced. It is pretty straight forward to do. Slee sells an over ride kit that will keep the AHC in High mode all the time. I've talked to folks who have had good results with this. Also, you can run "an upgraded suspension" AHC but I not familiar with that setup.

The 100 series/ LX's are considered very reliable and they are a great choice for what your stated purpose is. The 4.7L V8 is a world class engine and will go hundreds of thousands of miles when properly maintained. Prior service history is important and worth $ in my opinion. As Phil said, go here: https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/ and you can get the entire dealer service history for an LX. HOW LONG WILL THEY LAST? I feel safe to say you could pretty easily drive it to 350,000 miles. Maybe more, the million mile tundra had the 4.7...

RND1

Observer
Given the information that you shared around the AHC being problematic, I wonder if it wouldn't benefit me more to spend an extra thousand or two and get the Land Cruiser? The reality is this vehicle will see mostly highway miles as I am in central Texas and will need to travel quite a bit to make it to trails and the passes I want to run and camp at.

Being that I live in the salt belt of New England, I prefer to not have to deal with the additional maintenance and cost to keep the AHC performing properly. All you need is to see an LX470 going down the road in either stink bug position (rear AHC fail) or wheelie position (front AHC fail) and you'll know what I mean. Do a search on IH8MUD in the 100 series forum for "problems with AHC" and curl up with a bowl of popcorn because you'll be reading for a while.

Now having said that, if I lived in a dry state like you, I'd be less concerned about AHC if you buy a rig from a dry state. Personally, I think the sweet spot for the 100 is '03 - '05 LC. You get the updated interior, 5sp tranny, and traditional suspension that's easily lifted and upgraded. Problem is finding one for $10K.

nasko

Adventurer
IMO to choose a LC over a LX470 only because of the AHC is rather foolish. If you wish you can easily swap the AHC with a traditional coil, torsion bars and shocks suspension. The suspension of a 15 year old LC will most likely be tired and need replacing as well. Just my 2c.

RND1

Observer
If you wish you can easily swap the AHC with a traditional coil, torsion bars and shocks suspension.

I hear this comment often, but a few guys I met at Hundreds in the Hills with LX's last summer did not give me this impression. Can you elaborate on difficulty and cost? Do you have first hand knowledge of doing this yourself to your own rig?

Exeter

Hey - Still out here. I've been reading some FAQ's I found on the I8Mud forum someone recommended. I'm looking to buy in the next week or so. Going to look Saturday. Will share rig if/when I get it!

nasko

Adventurer
I hear this comment often, but a few guys I met at Hundreds in the Hills with LX's last summer did not give me this impression. Can you elaborate on difficulty and cost? Do you have first hand knowledge of doing this yourself to your own rig?

Yes, I have done this to my Lexus. I live in Eastern Canada, so everything that would take an hour down south it takes usually four here due to rust. That being said I finished it in a day or so ( maybe two). As mentioned above there is a number of threads on this topic. There is a very well made video posted on youtube as well. Cost wise - well depends what suspension you choose for the truck. It cost me roughly $1500 CAD for OME parts if I remember correctly. Just be careful, take your time, watch out for the ABS sensors in the back and you will be fine.

CSG

Explorer
Anecdotal reports are just that but I bought my '02 LX from a Lexus dealer down in SLC in December of '09 with mileage in the mid-60's. The vehicle has about 115k miles now and all I've done to it other than standard maintenance service (all at the local Toyo dealer) is replace the timing belt at 95k or so and replace the power antenna. The electric motor for the in-out travel of the steering wheel is broken and has been since shortly after getting the vehicle. Fortunately, the wheel was in the correct position for me when it happened. The up and down tilt works fine.

After I moved from C rated Big O AT tires (that were on the vehicle when I bought it) to KO2's, I lost about a MPG. I'm a steady driver that pays attention to how I drive, not only to be safe on the road but to maximize my MPG. I was getting an average of 15.5 MPG with the Big O tires and now get 14.5.

In eight and a half years, I've only put about 50k miles on it so gas is not an issue for me and the vehicle is my daily driver. The only mod was to remove the factory running boards. These vehicles are really well built and are very capable off road in stock form. I don't "run" trails or do a lot of the stupid stuff I see guys doing with their vehicles and I can tell you that I've never once had any drama off road including somewhat deep snow on back country roads here.

I suppose if my AHC fails I'll have to consider whether the Slee options are something to seriously consider. I doubt I'd have it rebuilt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94