Buying from an eBay add

I am just a bit concerned about buying a site unseen van a ford 4x4 2013 quickley with a 2014 body. But a “clean title”. What do you think? Has anyone done it how did it turn out?

zip

I prefer social distancing.
I bought a salvage title motorcycle on eBay once, but I had the opportunity to go view it. It was local. I’ve put 65,000 miles on it since then.
I would’ve never done it if I couldn’t see it first.

It is in Kentucky I am in California with covid I won’t go besides talking to the seller he won’t answer why running platform ids a 2013 and the body a 2014. Except to imply the older 5.4 is under powered. Getting the feeling it’s too good to be true. It probably is

kwill

Observer
I bought a Jeep JKU from ebay. I flew across a couple of states to pick it up and drive it home. It worked out well but I had lots of phone conversations with the seller before buying.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
I bought a 4wd van on the other side of the continent sight unseen.

A forum member volunteered to go confirm a few items for me and did a test drive.

There are vehicle inpection companies that will check it out for a fee. Cheaper than airfare.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
This forum is a very very large community. Post up a thread in the geographical area the van is in and see if anyone will check it out for you.

I did this for a scout I wanted to buy a few years back and someone went and gave me an honest opinion.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
People who buy something "Sight Unseen" are never UNABLE to go look at an item they are just UNWILLING to go look at that item.

Name your reason for not going to look and I will tell you it's all BS. Cost to travel, too much time involved, too far away, I have to work, Covid 19, my underwear is not dry on and on it's just an excuse to justify your inaction!

The reality is IF it's that important or special enough for you to consider buying a long distance purchase you Can make the time, leave work, find the money to travel, forget the Covid 19 BS, dry your underwear and go look at the item in person!

Having said all that BS above I have made many long distance across the country "Sight Unseen" vehicle purchases over the years and never had a problem. I have a procedure that I use that works for ME and one that I am comfortable doing the transaction. If the seller is not willing to accept my requirements for the long distance purchase that's fine. I'm out! It's that simple. No big deal good luck with your sale! There have been lot's of times for me that the cost of going to look at a long distance purchase was not justified based upon the vehicle location, condition or other factors that made buying "Sight Unseen" the best option IF I really wanted the vehicle.

Example:

My recent March 2020 purchased of the 1995 4WD Quigley Custom ASSTRO van in PA was purchased "Sight Unseen" with only pictures and telephone discussion with the seller. We made the deal, I paid the man, they sent the title/paperwork, I called my shipper, the van got picked up and delivered 2 days later. Easy transaction with an honorable seller. Saved me 26 hours of driving, fuel cost, wear and tear on my truck/trailer, hotel and food expense while travelling all of which amounted to the same amount I paid to have the vehicle shipped to my door without all the hassle.

Once again could not be happier with the purchase!

As always: Caveat Emptor!

Last edited:
As always Caveat Emptor. When I queried the guy on why the body was 2104 on a 2013 frame? The answer I got was have you ever driven a 5.4 ford? Which I assume meant that it ( the 5.4) was under powered and that is why they put he 2014 body on it. Doesn't make sense? He could have said rust, damage to a body panel and a dozen other legit reasons, but he didn't. His attitude was condenscending. and he never actually answered the question. He says cleantitle etc. BUt my bull ******** radar is pinging big time !! so in my view it just isn't worth it right now. AS for Covid, It is real I am 66 and don't need to expose my self to unreasonable risks. and flying across the country now is unreaonable inmy view.

kwill

Observer
I should add that on my JKU buy I let the auction end before I started negotiating. After satisfying myself that he was trustworthy and the Jeep was legit I flew to his town with a cashier's check in hand. He understood that if the vehicle was not as represented, I would tear up the check and buy a plane ticket home.

Super sketchy.. seller takes a V10 Quigley with unknown title status and slaps a new body (and hence vin tag) on it.

And that will be a nightmare to register in CA.

taylor3633

Observer
I have both bought and sold vehicles on Ebay sight unseen. I also recently bought an Earthroamer sight unseen off of craigslist. All transactions turned out well and I would do it again. That said, I wouldn't recommend it in general and I certainly wouldn't do it in this case.

Reactions: zip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior