Buying & Building a Medium Ambulance into an RV – The FAM-BULANCE

rlrenz

Explorer
I used my air bag jack to give a little more room for a creeper - supported the front end with stacked 2x10x18" lumber under the wheels so I wouldn't have to work between jack stands. I found that the jack lifted the load fairly easily when it was nearly collapsed (maximum air bag diameter). Three 2xs under each tire.

The lift really came in handy when I was backing into the garage. There is an unknown blind spot in the mirrors that kept me from seeing a railroad passenger car boarding step had tipped over, and I ran over it. It jammed under the side, so I grabbed the air jack, stuffed it under the differential, raised it a few inches, and pulled the step out. 10 minutes! Total damage was some scuffed paint on the step.

rlrenz

Explorer
Maybe I'm nuts, but I wanted to keep the exterior warning lights --but stealthy. I removed all the existing halogen lights, and replaced them with Tecniq K90 LED warning and scene lights. Clear lens, but amber lights. I was originally going to use the truck as a "Communications Facility" for the US Coast Guard Auxiliary where I would need amber lights, but that may change.

The old halogen lights were attached with self-tapping 10-32 machine screws, but the uears of vibration destroyed many of the threads in the body, with some being a PITA to remove. There were 8 screws on each of the old Whelen 900 lights, with the outside four being visible with the new lights. A dab of 3M 5200 marine caulk solved plugging the holes. The inner four holes were repaired with 10-32 Riv-Nuts where necessary.

The new Tecniq lights started as a PITA to install. Each had three parts - the light, a mounting frame, and a gasket. The first one needed 3-4 hands to position and hold in place. Then I got smarter, and I used some miracle glue to tack the gaskets to the frame corners. I used tape to hold all three together, and labeled each with UP and color (since Murphy is always on duty...). To simplify things even further, I stuck some long headless 10-32 screws in two of the body holes to simplify the installation process.

Attachments

• 370359122_7216930581654837_4423523064230267646_n-1.jpg
    370359122_7216930581654837_4423523064230267646_n-1.jpg
    635 KB · Views: 17
  • 372002116_7216931024988126_8640844374969079469_n-1.jpg
    372002116_7216931024988126_8640844374969079469_n-1.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 16

tbone1004

Observer
one advantage of keeping the exterior lights is if you want to put some time of "alarm" system in place you can either use something like HomeAssistant if you're making it "smart" or just wire in a panic button that turns everything on. Some ambulances will have this as "emergency master" and will turn everything on. The scene/flood lights on mine are more than enough so the only thing I would do with the flashers is blank them off so I'm going to put clear lenses on them and leave them for a panic button. My partner is going to take this thing on some solo trips so I would feel better if she had that ability to scare the piss out of someone if they look suspicious. Since mine has a v-mux as well it also lets her use the air horns as part of that....

rlrenz

Explorer
one advantage of keeping the exterior lights is if you want to put some time of "alarm" system in place you can either use something like HomeAssistant if you're making it "smart" or just wire in a panic button that turns everything on. Some ambulances will have this as "emergency master" and will turn everything on. The scene/flood lights on mine are more than enough so the only thing I would do with the flashers is blank them off so I'm going to put clear lenses on them and leave them for a panic button. My partner is going to take this thing on some solo trips so I would feel better if she had that ability to scare the piss out of someone if they look suspicious. Since mine has a v-mux as well it also lets her use the air horns as part of that....
That's an interesting idea -- but if I did that, and someone tripped the alarm, I could have 10 warning lights flashing at once. Probably would be pretty easy to see, particularly since my Tecniq lights are rated for emergency vehicle use, and definitely bright!

rlrenz

Explorer
I admit it -- I'm Hi-Shy. Heights and me do not get along well (ladders of any kind/height). Standing on a 10 ft ladder to change out side lights meant one hand on the ladder, one hand on the new light, one hand holding the new screw, and one hand turning the screwdriver meant that I was not a happy puppy. I did it, one or two lights per evening. Never again! I have a foot-pump Big Joe 1000# platform lift in my collection, and I'm thinking about re-working it into a battery operated lift with a fold-down man basket. If I can get up 4 ft, then I'm able to do my future projects without a ladder. I figure right about $700 to do the upgrade, but if I can stay off a ladder, it's woth it to me! Murphy's Law says that as soon as I get mine done, I'll find exactly what I want cheaper someplace. Such is life....

rlrenz

Explorer
I used my air bag jack to give a little more room for a creeper - supported the front end with stacked 2x10x18" lumber under the wheels so I wouldn't have to work between jack stands. I found that the jack lifted the load fairly easily when it was nearly collapsed (maximum air bag diameter). Three 2xs under each tire.

The lift really came in handy when I was backing into the garage. There is an unknown blind spot in the mirrors that kept me from seeing a railroad passenger car boarding step had tipped over, and I ran over it. It jammed under the side, so I grabbed the air jack, stuffed it under the differential, raised it a few inches, and pulled the step out. 10 minutes! Total damage was some scuffed paint on the step.
The air bag jack does a lot, but since its made from three stacked air bags, it does the most lifting with the largest air bag. Ligting the entire front end meant stopping to block things every 2 inches or so. Definitely faster than anything else I have, though. Even so, I'm thinking about selling the air lift and going to a 12 volt electric jack. Maybe....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier