buying an M416 next week, need help wiring lights

Snowrydr01

Observer
While looking for a cheap beater wheeler for a buddy i spot this gem in the background of a Craigslist post and get to talking with the owner. Its hasnt been on the road in years but it looks pretty solid and from what i can tell from lurking here for years is that the lower edges are usually the trouble spots on the tub.

So i have one day to get this ready for NJ Picture inspection. Ive read the threads how you can unhook the huge plug and wire it for 4 flat but no one really goes into detail. What bullet plugs get inserted into what locations to make this conversion work? I have the full m416 service manual but i cant figure this one out alone.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 33
  • trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 24
  • trailer3.jpg
    trailer3.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 27

sgv209

Observer
When I picked up my trailer, I just grabbed a set of magnetic towing lights from harbor freight for 20 bucks and stuck them on the fenders for the trip home. The wiring system, if it is still original, is 24 volts, so you wont be able to use it with your car system until you replace the bulbs.

Good luck and nice find!

Snowrydr01

Observer
Thats exactly what the plan is.

From what ive read you can still use the 24volt lights, they will just be a little dim. I plan on replacing the bulbs to 12volt but that would not change where the 4 flat bullets needs to be plugged in. I just need to get the pictures working for registration so i can get plates on it to bring it to a buddies to work on it for real.

Snowrydr01

Observer
sqv, where between princeton and trenton are you? I grew up in Hamilton and thats exactly how i use to describe where i lived too.

sgv209

Observer
So I looked into the wiring a little more, and it shouldn't be that hard to connect a 4 pin connector.

Page 66 in the M416 manual or 4-26 has the wiring diagram for the trailer. If you take off the sheet metal cover on the right hand c-channel of the tongue, you will see 6 or so bullet connectors and a ground. Each of these is labeled with a number like 22-460 on a little metal band. This corresponds to the the numbers on the wiring diagram.

Wiring.jpg

I hope this helps, and if you are close by, I would be willing to give you a hand if you like.

-Simon

Last edited:

Detour

Observer
While looking for a cheap beater wheeler for a buddy i spot this gem in the background of a Craigslist post and get to talking with the owner. Its hasnt been on the road in years but it looks pretty solid and from what i can tell from lurking here for years is that the lower edges are usually the trouble spots on the tub.

So i have one day to get this ready for NJ Picture inspection. Ive read the threads how you can unhook the huge plug and wire it for 4 flat but no one really goes into detail. What bullet plugs get inserted into what locations to make this conversion work? I have the full m416 service manual but i cant figure this one out alone.

Thanks in advance

first thing i would do is take an ohm meter, a little cheapie will do, and find which line is the ground by putting one lead on a bare metal spot on the frame and test the contacts or wires to see which one shows connection.

if its not grounded, then you have to trace wires...

let's say the ohm meter works:

i would run a ground wire from the tow rig (or battery or battery charger) to the ground contact you identified.

now attatch a lead to another position and give it power (you might want some spare fuses if your aim is not straight and true)

repeat.... x2

now, the reason i would use the tow rig to test is to make sure it's plug will be wired the same as the trailer's in the end... sometimes the truck gets wired wrong depending on who did it...

get a buddy, and have them watch the lights, assuming the bulbs are working...

Snowrydr01

Observer
So according to the wiring diagram:

E = 21 = nighttime running lights
J = 22-460 = brake a turn signal
B = 22-460 = brake and turn signal
D = Ground

I will be dead ********** in the middle of Hamilton Square

sgv209

Observer
So according to the wiring diagram:

E = 21 = nighttime running lights
J = 22-460 = RH brake a turn signal
B = 22-461 = LH brake and turn signal
D = Ground

I will be dead ********** in the middle of Hamilton Square

Thats correct. J will be your right hand turnsignal and B will be the left one.

I'm only half an hour away from there so let me know if you want a hand.

Snowrydr01

Observer
Thats correct. J will be your right hand turnsignal and B will be the left one.

I'm only half an hour away from there so let me know if you want a hand.

Thanks a lot. PM me your number and if i hit any snags on friday ill make sure to give you a call.

Snowrydr01

Observer
bullet connectors

quick question? For the 4 flat harness im about to build do i need to add male of femaile connectors? I cant get the trailer untill this afternoon and need to have it ready for inspection tomorrow so i have to set up my harness today but i havent seen what the connection looks like. All the info i can find is.157 bullet connectors or 14-16g but it doesnt specify.

Last edited:

sgv209

Observer
quick question? For the 4 flat harness im about to build do i need to add male of femaile connectors? I cant get the trailer untill this afternoon and need to have it ready for inspection tomorrow so i have to set up my harness today but i havent seen what the connection looks like. All the info i can find is.157 bullet connectors or 14-16g but it doesnt specify.

I just checked and you need female bullet connectors for your harness. Good luck with the new trailer!

PS It turns out that I will be around today.

Snowrydr01

Observer
Picked up my trailer this weekend but i didnt get any pictures since the wife had the camera for a trip.

All and all its in pretty good condition, no rust holes only some surface rust on the frame and 50 years of flaking paint. The only possible thing i could complain about it missing was the drain plugs themselves but the retainers were still on there. I was able to wire up the 4 flat plug and get the 12v bulbs into it.

Now for the bad:
The previous owner never officially took title the had the original decomissioned title from 1994 with his name on it but i guess thought it was more collectable to keep a piece of paper with the government title on it? This means that since PA is anal and NJ just needs a bill of sale, that i will have to have my parents register it in their name then "sell" it to me in a couple months.

The US Gov title and the trailer vin dont seem to match up? The paper says 666 (creepy) and the trailer is 484? This isnt a problem for NJ since they dont need to see the US gov title to register but should i just get a new data plate and make it 666 for authenticity?

Ohh yeah, and the tires are shot. Anyone have any they took off for radials they want to get rid of :)

sgv209

Observer
Ohh yeah, and the tires are shot. Anyone have any they took off for radials they want to get rid of :)

Haha, I'll give you my old tires, but I'm afraid they are probably in worse shape than yours. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy two new reproduction tires from coker tire. The metric size for those tires is 215 85 16, in case you want any thing other than the military ones. Tire rack has a few all terrain tires in that size but they are about same price as the reproduction ones or more expensive.

Snowrydr01

Observer
Haha, I'll give you my old tires, but I'm afraid they are probably in worse shape than yours. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy two new reproduction tires from coker tire. The metric size for those tires is 215 85 16, in case you want any thing other than the military ones. Tire rack has a few all terrain tires in that size but they are about same price as the reproduction ones or more expensive.

Let me know what price you are getting for those tires. I found a guy on pirate who has 4 of them new for $85 each but doesnt want to split them up. If you get a high quote maybe we can just split them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles