Buying advice: Is this really a 1998 Land Cruiser?

hoser

Explorer
The Toyota-Japan rear axle will look.... "round/circular" while the Dana.... not round..... as such...

81CD9ED2-8685-4917-B748-679470DD8601.jpeg

rollandburn

The Toyota-Japan rear axle will look.... "round/circular" while the Dana.... not round..... as such...

81CD9ED2-8685-4917-B748-679470DD8601.jpeg

Hmmm ok., thanks for this. To confirm, which one is pictured here? This is the Dana 'not so round' correct? And if if has the Dana then it is a colombia/venezuela produced LC?

rollandburn

Correct, Dana is not round and produced in Columbia or Venezuela.

Got it.. cheers. Will report back on what i see! Gracias!

ps. not sure if you're canadian 'hoser' thought you might enjoy this (notice the cup =]) (ahhhh Bay area, =])

hoser

Explorer
Not Canadian but I get most of it!! =) On a side note, I've also owned a Canadian spec 70 series. :)

hoser

Explorer
No, they sold ~600 or so LHD BJ70's in Canada from 1985-87. They were legally importable into the US right off the bat. Unfortunately, most of them have rusted away.

rollandburn

No, they sold ~600 or so LHD BJ70's in Canada from 1985-87. They were legally importable into the US right off the bat. Unfortunately, most of them have rusted away.

Oh wow, that's a pretty small number. Hopefully yours didn't rust away too. Sad to say the salted roads are killers... unless you factor in planned obsolescence it's hard to imagine why we still use it to be honest. As far as i know it's only useful to keep precipitation during near zero temps from going to ice... think i'd prefer studded tires. Alas they have their own caveats too. That '02 Tacoma i had came from a place called Prince George, British Columbia... it was a complete rust bucket. Everything was fused together (ie. any bolt/nut/screw/metal) and i bet the guy that bought it off me kicked himself for thinking he could get on top of it. Seeing how classics down here in south america stay almost perfect with zero rust for decades sorta makes one wonder just how much positive effect salting roads has when all else is factored in...

rollandburn

Here's some pics of that old rustbucket after i bought and put a fancy green/goldflake paint job on it... looked nice, that was about it.

toyota-tacoma-green-winter.jpgtoyota-tacoma-green.jpg

Arktikos

Explorer
Oh wow, that's a pretty small number. Hopefully yours didn't rust away too. Sad to say the salted roads are killers...

I had one too. Came from Ontario, where they salt roads. Owned it three years before deciding the frame rust was more than I could deal with.
Even the examples from BC, the bodies mostly have rusted out already. Old Toyotas were just not built well for avoiding sheet metal rust.
40s are way cool. That one looks very good, however very difficult to determine by photos provided. I wouldn't advise buying one for an "investment". Rather, buy to enjoy.
I still think the 70 series is the way to go.
One big plus for an older Land Cruiser, 40 or 70, is that they're relatively easy for the home mechanic to maintain.

rollandburn

Just a quick report…. I ended up buying a 2008 4runner Limited with 130,000 kms for $28k usd. It is in absolute mint condition… quite a cherry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles