Buying a Van, planning stage, got some questions :)

cdcdplayer

Hey friends, first time posting here.

Hopping unemployed from sub lease to sub lease and decided I wanted to commit to building and living in a van. I'm interested in just insulating, putting in a bed, and then get on the road living externally meaning external stove and stuff like that, but I want it to be a work in progress. I'm going to be renting a campervan actually for the next three weeks and living out of it to figure out what exactly i'll need when living life in a van.it Been obsessively googling, watching videos, asking friends on which van to buy and then steps to build it out. A close friend of mine suggest I snoop around these forums to learn as much as I can and I totally have. So here are some of the questions i came to that I am still unsure of.

What are some things I should ask / look for when buying a van? What is good mileage what is bad mileage?

What are some good recommended van's for jumping into life on the road? ( was looking at GMC Vanduras) in addition whats a good year for the van? Ive heard a bonus about the cheverlot cars is that they are cars that you can find parts to anywhere, which is a huge bonus. I definitely want the van to be accessible in that sense.

What are some things I absolutely need when building out the van from the ground up? Like if I want solar later in the process should I set some of that up now?

Do I want an electrical system in the van? If so what are some systems or set ups i could read about and look up. Ive heard 'Dual Battery system' is one of them.

I know comfort is a top priority, but what can I get away with so i can move into the van sooner than later? ( sooner being like within two months hopefully )

What sort of things do I want to build in at first, that cant be built in on later stages?

Which cars get the best mileage? Is changing the cylinders a good idea so I get better mileage, an option?

I've read about switching the engine to diesel, is that better?

Do I want all wheel drive or four wheel drive or 2 wheel drive, does it make a huge difference?

Is it better to get a mini fridge, an electric cooler, or what are some great options for storing food?

and lastly, Whats an inverter why do I need one?

If anyone has any books or youtube channels (that i havent already found haha ive been really going in) id greatly appreciate that, im a huge book nerd.

I really appreciate anyone just taking the time to read this, it means a lot. TImes are hard right now and Ive noticed the coolest thing is how much everyone has been helping each other out.

A bit about me in relation to living in a van: (you can skip this part probably if you want) I'm an electronic music composer. I live in southern California. I work on and off as a music composer, scoring music to picture, when I'm not doing that I am just releasing my own albums with set ups that I try to push myself to make as portable as possible. When I'm working jobs I have a studio in my parents house (which was my old bedroom) which I converted so I would spend a few months there while working then go back on the road. (This is the plan).. I got a goal zero yeti 400 and have been using that to power my music equipment while camping out doors. I only run abou 30-40 watts at a time its been pretty nice. Would love to eventually get some small speakers in my van. I run a small DIY cassette tape label that means a lot to me, and generates some small bit of income on the side alongside my own music. So the campervan would contribute to the mental solitude i need in order to keep working.

marret

Renting first is a great idea to see what works for you.

What are some things I should ask / look for when buying a van? What is good mileage what is bad mileage?
A: Same questions one would ask when buying any vehicle. Maintenance including fluid changes. Mileage will depend on year of vehicle, generally lower the better, but excessively low mileage can be bad. Highway miles are better than city miles. Excessive engine hours for miles might mean lots of idle time. Too much idle time is not good.

What are some good recommended van's for jumping into life on the road? ( was looking at GMC Vanduras) in addition whats a good year for the van? Ive heard a bonus about the cheverlot cars is that they are cars that you can find parts to anywhere, which is a huge bonus. I definitely want the van to be accessible in that sense.
A: Vanduras are old. It is better to buy an OBDII vehicle, 1996 and later. 1996 was transition from OBDI to OBDII. GM (Chevy Express and GMC Savana) are everywhere and so are Ford Econoline/E-Series vans. Ford E-Series, buy 1997 and later. GM Express and Savana, both still in production. Latest year you can afford for any van. For building, get a 2500/3500 or E-250/E-350. Parts are readily available for both. I'd say a Vandura is too old for what you describe.

What are some things I absolutely need when building out the van from the ground up? Like if I want solar later in the process should I set some of that up now?
A: Nothing is absolutely necessary. Depends on the person, use, location, etc. Sleeping systems can be simple/portable or built in. Electric depends on use. If installing electric, try to plan for the future. Easier to do up front than modify later potentially and depending on build.

Do I want an electrical system in the van? If so what are some systems or set ups i could read about and look up. Ive heard 'Dual Battery system' is one of them.
A: Most people want some sort of power. 12V/DC only is great and better if you can swing it. Vehicles will either come with a dual battery system or not. Diesels often have dual batteries. Gas typically do not although some were built by the manufacturer to have dual batteries. Camper vans/Class B RVs typically have a starter battery or two, and a house/coach battery or more.

I know comfort is a top priority, but what can I get away with so i can move into the van sooner than later? ( sooner being like within two months hopefully )
A: If using to live, I'd think something to sleep on, maybe sit on if the seats don't swivel, food storage, clothes storage, etc. These can be built in or portable. Will you cook? Camping gear can be used for all of these things.

What sort of things do I want to build in at first, that cant be built in on later stages?
A: Insulating first before building anything is smart.

Which cars get the best mileage? Is changing the cylinders a good idea so I get better mileage, an option?
A: Full size vans don't get good gas mileage. You can't change the number of cylinders. Most likely an Express, Savana or Econoline will have 8 cylinders (V8) or 10 (V10 for some Econolines). New Transits will have a V6.

I've read about switching the engine to diesel, is that better?
A: You won't be able to just switch. Installing a diesel is possible, but will be hugely expensive. Diesel engine vehicles typically get better MPGs, but cost more to buy and maintain. 6.0 liter Ford diesels are not something for the light of wallet.

Do I want all wheel drive or four wheel drive or 2 wheel drive, does it make a huge difference?
A: Don’t know, do you? Four wheel drive is used in the dirt and snow. Your use determines the need.

Is it better to get a mini fridge, an electric cooler, or what are some great options for storing food?
A: 12V/DC compressor powered fridge. Many options.

and lastly, Whats an inverter why do I need one?
A: An inverter inverts power/electricity from DC to AC. Batteries are DC. House current is AC. Things you normally plug into a wall socket are 110 AC.

Another source of information is the Sportsmobile Forum: SMB Forum link

Might I suggest you read more before asking more questions? The SMB forum has specific subforums for various topics including a homebuilt area. You can also search this forum and SMB for topics you are asking, they have been asked before.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
If anyone has any books or youtube channels

If you haven't found the "Cheap RV Living" site, that's probably a good place to look.

Most of the questions you are asking are kinda naive. More important:

What is your budget? It seems that your budget is low, but...
How much space do you need, if you'll be working in your rig?
How much electrical capacity?
Do you need offroad capability?
Are you able to do basic maintenance and repairs on vehicles?
Will you need to camp in all sorts of weather?

MPG will suck in a fullsize normal van. Probably ~12 or so. Just don't drive gratuitously, and factor the expense into paying trips. You can do better with a mini-van if you don't need much room, but you won't be doing much offroad exploring in one of those. A small pickup with simple camper is another option.

I lived for 13 years in a '84 Toyota 2wd pickup. Started with a little camper shell, and later built a camper. Mostly camped in the wilderness (SW deserts in winter, mountains in summer), and never paid for camping. Didn't have heat, a toilet, fridge or cooler, running water, etc. I know you can do this cheap and have great time... but if you are in the central or eastern US it will be more difficult, and definitely if you need to camp in extreme cold, heat, weather, etc it will be tougher.

Last edited:

iggi

Ian
Try again after you've rented the van. Not trying to be mean but your questions sound like you've never owned a car.

The only useful advice I can likely give is to start small and simple.
The internet is full of sad stories of people spending most if not all their budget on a van and being sidelined shortly after due to large, expensive repairs.

In your shoes I'd buy a used Chrysler Minivan, put a bed in it, some camping stuff and go.
Like this: https://mybackpackerlife.com/canada/minivan-camper-conversion/

I spent years camping in the back of an old Landcruiser with nothing more than a bed platform and my camping stuff.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Do lots of research and hear opinions from all sides. There are so many variables and you seem very vague in your description of needs. Get a notebook and write down your ideas and things you may need and other stuff you may not understand. Try to narrow down your questions and ask more defined questions.

s.e.charles

vans don't go. vans don't stop. vans are a pain to park. vans give you less headroom than living under an overpass. vans make you plan your trips so you can afford to put gas in them. van manufacturers put a 30 gallon gas tank for a reason.

rent a studio apartment/ get a room mate/ get a second job/ buy a dependable (toyota, honda, subaru, mazda - read the reports) vehicle, and get your life in balance.

Rachel821

I mean, gas is certainly not more expensive than renting an apartment...and vans are not hard to park. I know how you feel, I got let go almost 3 weeks ago and the first thing I did was put in my 60 day notice at my apartment. Living in a $10,000 rig is safer for me right now.

I would suggest doing a bit more research. My plan started last August and I'll be finally buying my vehicle in the next month hopefully. These last 6 months I've been obsessively researching the lifestyle, technology, where you can and cannot park overnight, etc. And the research I've done STILL isn't enough. Trying to decide on my solar kit and refrigerator makes me want to pull my hair out. Start with a list of 'wants' and 'needs'. What are dealbreakers? How much is this going to cost you? Gotta have the basics down before taking the next step :)

Deshet

Adventurer
Research the reliability of what you buy.
The GMC Vanderas are very old at this point. Try and make sure that what you get is reliable. Too many van-life people buy the cheapest van with out any mechanical knowledge and end up in a worse situation. I would not get anything carbureted and get a good road side assistance policy.

Based on what you posted I would look for a Toyota Sienna Van. I have seen them with lots of miles and they rarely have problems. If you can find an awd drive one that will be better.

Don't get caught up on the fantasy of living in a van especially if you can't afford traditional living. Most of the people I know that are doing it and happy also have access to enough money to live a traditional life style. If you don't have 3-6 months of living expenses available and a min $1000 repair/maintenance fund van-life is less like Van life and more like being homeless.

Last edited:

cdcdplayer

Renting first is a great idea to see what works for you.

Hey! Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write this out, since you posted this its launched me into a bunch more research that I had not yet come across, so wanted to say thank you again. I have not owned a car prior to this. Previous cars were owned by my parents that I'd drive around temporarily but I never needed to know things like "does my honda civic have a timing belt or chain" etc. So I think the naivety was spawned from the comfort of not needing to know much about my car from the get go. Since writing my first post I've been doing more research into Toyota Previa's and soccer moms in general but mostly Toyota Previa's. Thats where I am at right now. I can say I know a ton more now than I did when I started the thread - after reading all of these comments when they were originally posted, as it sprung me in getting deeper with my research rather than just asking questions all the time. Thanks again everyone who has contributed to this thread, especially you - 'Michelle' guy. ;)

Try again after you've rented the van. Not trying to be mean but your questions sound like you've never owned a car.

The only useful advice I can likely give is to start small and simple.
The internet is full of sad stories of people spending most if not all their budget on a van and being sidelined shortly after due to large, expensive repairs.

In your shoes I'd buy a used Chrysler Minivan, put a bed in it, some camping stuff and go.
Like this: https://mybackpackerlife.com/canada/minivan-camper-conversion/

I spent years camping in the back of an old Landcruiser with nothing more than a bed platform and my camping stuff.

Also this was extremely helpful as well, I've been digging deep into Minivan conversions and lifestyles since reading your post, thank you.

s.e.charles

getting Sienna Fever, look at this fellow's ride:
if nothing else, you will be more polite at the end of the series!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior