buying a new jeep

Looking for the best price possible on a 2017 recon
any recommendations on dealers? here is what I am encountering so I need some sage advice.

I have been working with 2 jeep dealers both are out of state because the prices here IN California are not discounted. #1 One Guy who has a aggressive sales reputation is knocking 13.6 % off all of his vehicles about 6500 below sticker, but does have what I want in terms of color and a couple of options. The other guy has what I want but the jeep has a few extra options I Don't need won't use and don't want to pay for so his start out price is higher. #2 He is offering 5050 off. here is the rub the guy offering 5050 off say that customers go the other #1 guy and when they get there he adds 2000 in dealer add ons and then the customers end up coming back to him any ways.

So what do you think? is this just a case of one dealer bad mouthing another or is it a legitimate occurrence?

if you know these guys feel free to PM me but I don't want to mention names on a public forum

and if you know of any dealers who are aggressively and honestly dealing pass the info on please. Thanks in advance

Charles R

Adventurer
Just a heads up, if you didn't know... There are financial registration and tax hurdles to jump through if you try to register an out of state vehicle in California with less than 7500 miles on it.

CA. wants mo money!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
There was a dealer back east, who was active on the Wrangler Forum. His prices including shipping were very good. If I remember right his screen name started with Pat. I don't remember the dealer. May be a vendor (in the Vendor sub forum) over there.

It might be worth getting a quote from him. If for no other reason than to ensure the dollar value you have in mind is realistic.
Good luck! :beer:

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Take a look at Dennis Dillon Dodge. I bought my 2012 Power Wagon from them, and if I was in the market today for a different vehicle they would be the first place I would look. Truly the easiest vehicle purchase I've ever made. Zero hassle, zero pressure.

Good luck with your search @Jeep or Tacoma the longer you wait the less likelihood you'll be able to get/order what you want. The only advice I can offer on this type of deal or search is log the jeep build and price site, build the Recon like you want it.. then set the zip codes to different parts of the united states. I search at least 16 states in an attempt to located a dealership with our jeep.. we ended up having to special order it.

Lastly, If you're looking to buy out right, dealerships are more willing to talk to you because you have green in your pocket. If you're looking to finance.. best have a big lump sum of cash in your pocket also. Most dealership aren't too pleased when someone who wants to buy a jeep in payments. In other words.. in order to keep our payments low, we flopped almost 10K down on our jeep.. Cash talks.. Financing Walks.

Speaking of "How To Buy" here's what I said at one of those other forums.. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/so-you-want-to-buy-a-jk-u-heres-how-to-save-2026289.html

Oh and by the way.. I've seen in some forums that several jeepers have noticed a device located right under the Rubicon disconnect bottoms.. this device is a tracking system for deadbeat or high risk buyers who forget to make payments on time or have bad credit. So IF you happen to be able to get a Recon, best check to see if you've have this device installed. (assuming you might be a high risk)

Last edited:
Lastly, If you're looking to buy out right, dealerships are more willing to talk to you because you have green in your pocket. If you're looking to finance.. best have a big lump sum of cash in your pocket also. Most dealership aren't too pleased when someone who wants to buy a jeep in payments. In other words.. in order to keep our payments low, we flopped almost 10K down on our jeep.. Cash talks.. Financing Walks.

That's interesting. I've bought several Toyotas from my local dealer and they seem to prefer the financing discussion. I think that's where they make most of their money by folks who end up paying 4-5k in interest on big loans. My experience has been that it makes no difference when talking cash, and I've gotten the vibe that they don't like it at all.

Mitch502

Explorer
My advice would be go with whoever is cheaper. In the end, you're buying a brand new jeep, so the price is the only thing that matters. (unless you are valuing "ease" or "experience of the purchase")

New is new, and price is price. You shouldn't have to take it to the dealer you buy it from for service and such, right? I could be wrong as I've never bought a new vehicle, but that would be my speculation...

@grizzlyblake My comments are based on going to several dealership with the same approach.. We wanted to finance in the first place and the dealerships kept asking for more and more.. so it's true most dealership want more from you in the first place. I believe this is also based on one credit score which ours is totally screwed up. But when we flashed $8K-$10K in their faces, they pushed the finance option off the table.. we still ended up having to finance, just not as much as if we tried to finance the whole amount. The other issue getting a bank to even think about offering us a loan.. having the cash proved we're good for it and when the bank heard how much we put down, they were more than willing to offer us a fair interests percentage rate. In our case, 11% from one lender was far better than 28% from another lender..

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I bought my jeep 3 years ago from Hanford Chrysler Dodge. A 2014 JKUR with automatic, power window, ac, basic stereo, and hard top. Nothing else. The other local dealers either didn't have what I wanted, or put huge markups on stuff, or had optioned out everything to the point where it was ugly and insane. for comparison point, similar wranglers with almost exact option packages were $48k in Clovis, CA, and $32k in Hanford, sticker was about $38k. 30 miles away, but different owners and philosophies. It was the best purchase(and fastest) experience I've ever had. No add-ones, no up sells, just in, drive, 30 min to arrange finance, and out. It didn't hurt that I was very flexible about color and a few other things, I only cared about the basics and didn't plan to try and order something. I don't remember, but I think I put about 10k down, and they gave me the same trade value for my old car that Carmax had offered... It was pretty well used up, so not much value to be had there.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Don't be afraid to just walk out from the stealership. I walked out around 4 times when I bought my Volvo with the salesman trying to chase me down. The price went down a fair amount with each of my departures. The mandatory fees for dealer prep is BS. It is just more money they are trying to get from you for doing nothing. A friend was buying a Ranger pickup years ago and just flat refused to pay it. He never had to pay for it.
Good luck.

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
Dealerships 100% prefer financing over cash. The days of 'cash talks' are over because the dealership doesn't even 'own' the vehicles, as they're typically on NET30-60-90 terms with the manufacturer. Where cash counts is when buying a used vehicle that the dealer does own. Otherwise, cash just begins the conversation of a lower interest rate for 99% of buyers when considering financing options. Dealerships make far more money on financed deals through the back-end than they ever do from folks who walk in with $40k in their pocket.

Not to mention, as an exercise in financial logic if you're a cash buyer and want to buy a JEEP brand new. Stack $40,000 in front of you; Now take $10,000 and light it on fire. That's what you're doing with your money if you buy new. - Even more so if you pay for ANY dealer installed options, as their mark-up will be 100's of percent. If you buy the same year model that's gently used or even a dealer demo, you'll save the majority if not more than that $10k and your immediate depreciation will be felt far less. - After all, it's a JEEP JK, which are a dime a dozen.

That said, over at Toyota, if your set on a specific build spec you're better off buying new over used, as the Toyota 4Runner and Tacoma hold their values better than any other vehicles you can buy today (aside from certain exotics.) Then again, if you do buy gently used, you may actually appreciate for a short time while the miles are still low. Example: In 2013, my pops paid cash for a '12 Tacoma from CarMax and for over a year, the 'clean trade-in' value was higher than what he paid for it. However CarMax does OWN their vehicles, as they are purchased from consumers in most circumstances, so cash does still talk there.

Don't be afraid to just walk out from the stealership. I walked out around 4 times when I bought my Volvo with the salesman trying to chase me down. The price went down a fair amount with each of my departures. The mandatory fees for dealer prep is BS. It is just more money they are trying to get from you for doing nothing. A friend was buying a Ranger pickup years ago and just flat refused to pay it. He never had to pay for it.
Good luck.

Heir Heir @unkamonkey We've been buying all types of cars and truck for more than 30+ years, So I think we know what we're doing. Although this was the first time we've actually had 10K to use as a down payment.. it was well worth the effort of doing. We felt more at ease knowing we had cash and that we can simply walk out (which we've done several times) This isn't life or death so show the dealership either they play ball Our way or we'll take our ball elsewhere.

@Jeep or Tacoma don't believe the hype.. you're going to end up with what you want anyway. We just happen to want a jeep wrangler unlimited because I can actually fit and sit comfortably in the drivers seat.. try that with the Toyota or Chevy Colorado.. Sure at times the Jeep might be a bit un-road worthy, but we're hoping to take care of this un-road worthiness in the next few months.

Dealerships 100% prefer financing over cash. The days of 'cash talks' are over because the dealership doesn't even 'own' the vehicles, as they're typically on NET30-60-90 terms with the manufacturer. Where cash counts is when buying a used vehicle that the dealer does own. Otherwise, cash just begins the conversation of a lower interest rate for 99% of buyers when considering financing options. Dealerships make far more money on financed deals through the back-end than they ever do from folks who walk in with $40k in their pocket.

Not to mention, as an exercise in financial logic if you're a cash buyer and want to buy a JEEP brand new. Stack $40,000 in front of you; Now take $10,000 and light it on fire. That's what you're doing with your money if you buy new. - Even more so if you pay for ANY dealer installed options, as their mark-up will be 100's of percent. If you buy the same year model that's gently used or even a dealer demo, you'll save the majority if not more than that $10k and your immediate depreciation will be felt far less. - After all, it's a JEEP JK, which are a dime a dozen.

That said, over at Toyota, if your set on a specific build spec you're better off buying new over used, as the Toyota 4Runner and Tacoma hold their values better than any other vehicles you can buy today (aside from certain exotics.) Then again, if you do buy gently used, you may actually appreciate for a short time while the miles are still low. Example: In 2013, my pops paid cash for a '12 Tacoma from CarMax and for over a year, the 'clean trade-in' value was higher than what he paid for it. However CarMax does OWN their vehicles, as they are purchased from consumers in most circumstances, so cash does still talk there.

Yeah, the slightly used dealer market is a different set of circumstances altogether. Most people vastly prefer a brand new vehicle over a 2-3 year old one when they see that it only "costs" 40-50 bucks extra per month on the payment. Also, the new car interest rates are generally lower, which is attractive on a 6 year loan. However, as you stated - the dealer owns the used vehicle outright so they need to move it. My experience is that the 2-3 year old used dealer vehicles are the better deal.

Also, you get one with the initial dings and scrapes so it's easier to jump right into using them instead of just keeping them freshly waxed in the garage. :smiley_drive:

I bought a 2014 4Runner Trail Edition this year with 25k miles for 31k. The brand new ones are running about $37k+. Since "Toyotas last forever" I decided I'd rather save $6k for other stuff, especially since I'll pay it off early. If I'm still driving it in 15 years it won't matter a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles