BUYER BEWARE 1996 Chinook Concourse Side Entry 7.3

I thought I found the Chinook for me but unfortunately after a thorough inspection I decided against it. I’m posting on here because the seller stated that there were other people interested and I’d hate for someone to end up with more of a project than they were expecting.

Before flying out to inspect it, I asked if there was any signs of rust, especially the underbody and if everything worked properly and I was told that there was no rust and everything worked fine. On the ad he stated that the condition is like new and it has new tires.

Upon inspection I found a moderate coolant leak (reservoir was empty and coolant was actively leaking underneath), a small oil leaks here and there (not uncommon for an old diesel but also not ideal), undercarriage and frame rust, the transmission dipstick was broken in half (potentially letting moisture and debris into the transmission), needs new brakes and suspension and that the tires were purchased in 2017 (they obviously weren't used much and had no visible cracking but they were not new). I plugged into the OBD2 port and ran a injector buzz test and cylinder contribution test to get a look at the health of the engine. The injector for cylinder 2 failed the buzz test and cylinder 2 failed the contribution test, so I'm thinking cylinder 2 has injector issues at the very least and from my understanding that is not a cheap repair. I also checked to see if there were any DTCs and found a LONG list of codes most of them related to the PCM or electrical circuits. I've inspected a few 7.3s over the years and have never seen this many trouble codes. I use Forscan with an OBD2 to USB dongle connected to my laptop and am very familiar with the program as I use it to monitor the health of the 7.3 van that I have owned for over 2 years now.

As for the house itself, it wasn't too bad, I only noticed some small things that were easily repairable. The floors were redone but had uneven gaps and warping throughout. There was a bit of exposed wiring that utilized cheap butt connectors and at the very least was visually unpleasant. The rear ladder was broken, the door for the right side rear compartment was broken and both generator start switches in the cabin were inoperable. I'll include as much info below for anyone who may be looking at this RV.

chinook scam.jpg

Link to Facebook ad
VIN: 1FDKE30FXTHA12108
Located in Naperville, Illinois
Mileage: 113,807
Asking Price: $39,000

Last edited:

zip

I prefer social distancing.
WOW!
Sorry to hear that your purchase didn’t work out,
Sounds like you made the right move by walking.
What was seller’s reaction to your diagnosis, and decline to purchase?

WOW!
Sorry to hear that your purchase didn’t work out,
Sounds like you made the right move by walking.
What was seller’s reaction to your diagnosis, and decline to purchase?
The seller did not argue my diagnosis and I offered him $25k as is ( I felt that was more than fair considering the potential work needed) after I made that offer I was promptly kicked off of his property. I asked for my $1000 deposit back since it was not as advertised and he lied about the rust and he became extremely rude and did not refund me the deposit.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'd say it was time for Small Claims court, but given that this was a fly-out deal, the jurisdictional issues make that a PITA. I'm very sorry.

That said, I'd rather lose $1000 deposit than get wrapped around the axle for $40k and then spend thousands more to make it right. :(

Reactions: mog

fusog

Sorry to hear about the deposit was not returned. Thank you for sharing this with the community, I love that you have the best interest of others in your heart. Hopefully the seller will discover this post and reconsider his choices.

rawtoxic

Yeah really unfortunate story, I have flown to other states to look at vehicles and had issues with liars. I had vehicles that were so bad I didn't even make an offer. IT sucks. Everything happens for a reason and obviously this was not the vehicle for you even at $25k.

I won one vehicle from a construction company auction based on photos online and it had a huge dent in the door that was not in photos. They told me that physical inspections were recommended on the listing and then I would have seen the ruined door. I couldn't believe they wouldn't use current photos for the auction!

I do have a friend that buys lots of cars and he only pays deposits on his credit card with Paypal and then if there is an issue he can file a dispute with his credit card company he has had to do it a few times and won every time he just documents the issue

Craig_C

Sorry you had to take that trip, but thanks for the very detailed response here. I inquired about this Chinook back in late September when I was driving close by and got random responses long after I had left.

I didn't want to put his on Facebook, but I will here. September 24th, I offered him $20k. On Oct. 6th his response, "Yes, it's aviable." I responded that I bough a rear door Chinook since I had messaged him, but would still be interested at $20k. His response 10 days later, "Problem with rear entry is if you ever tow anything you cant (SIC) open ther (SIC) door." I haven't used my yet, but looks like I got a much better deal!

Yeah really unfortunate story, I have flown to other states to look at vehicles and had issues with liars. I had vehicles that were so bad I didn't even make an offer. IT sucks. Everything happens for a reason and obviously this was not the vehicle for you even at $25k.

I won one vehicle from a construction company auction based on photos online and it had a huge dent in the door that was not in photos. They told me that physical inspections were recommended on the listing and then I would have seen the ruined door. I couldn't believe they wouldn't use current photos for the auction!

I do have a friend that buys lots of cars and he only pays deposits on his credit card with Paypal and then if there is an issue he can file a dispute with his credit card company he has had to do it a few times and won every time he just documents the issue
Yea fortunately I used my credit card on PayPal and am going through the dispute process now. I'm also a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and although I was excited about this Chinook, I've decided to put more into my current van and I think it will end up being a better rig for us in the long run. I also learned a lot so I don't feel like this was wasted at all.

Also for anyone out there that may be considering this rig, the seller might try to get a deposit by telling you that someone else is interested and is coming to buy it if you don't leave a deposit. He told me this after I told him I had purchased my flight and worked out a day to meet up. I'm not sure if this was his scam but I fell for it and a week later he still hasn't sold it. I'm not trying to berate this individual but I would like to help someone prevent from making the same mistakes that I did.

86scotty

Cynic
Shows sold this morning. From what has been described but not actually seeing the rust looks like $20k worth to me. So, seems like he is spot on in today's world asking exactly twice what it's worth. :rolleyes:

Hopefully whoever bought it makes it into a sweet rig! It’s possible, just might take a lot of elbow grease and/or money. Who knows, maybe I was overly cautious….it would be cool if they posted the progress somewhere

Reactions: zip

zip

I prefer social distancing.
Hopefully whoever bought it makes it into a sweet rig! It’s possible, just might take a lot of elbow grease and/or money. Who knows, maybe I was overly cautious….it would be cool if they posted the progress somewhere

I think you made the right call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior