Butterfly Project- A Cape Town to Shanghai Expedition

texasnielsen

NEO / Director of Research & Development
“ T-minus 5 days until the adventure finally rolls off.
Jimney crickets man! The adventure began the minute you began the hunt for a proper vehicle! What with the documentation you’ve shared thus far the conversion in itself has been an adventure in perspective, perseverance and ultimately success. Definitely subscribed to this epic opportunity to achieve a bucket list of worldly proportions.
Best wishes for a safe adventure which will hopefully avoid any further criminal behaviors by others. Looking forward to seeing the elusive map of this planned journey.

Lucidless

So change of plans. Instead of the amc upgrades. We are dropping a new p18 engine into the rover and going with larger oversized cooling components and an egr delete to keep heat from re-circulating. Also doing the roof gasket, caster correction and some other items.
The extra goodies for me are putting the build cost to about $28k. These items did not have to be done, so It’s safe to say I had built the vehicle for $25k which was the goal hahaha.

I should be taking delivery of a garmin inreach so you can track me real time when I’m on the road. I’ll be posting the route soon. I’ve been very busy with other stuff, and just needed a couple days to chill and relax.
9A9866DF-8F06-42A3-9CAA-B01752EE77E0.jpeg572824E5-F564-49AA-BDFB-EB7E73F1CF5D.jpeg685EAAB9-328B-4BE4-AC28-A2BF273F256B.jpeg

EPICBYTES

Hey there! Practically doing my dream trip! I spent around 3 months in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana.

If anything, drakensberg mountain range is incredible. I hiked extensively there, came across many sans people cave paintings. I promised myself to go back one day. Magical place that always will have part of my heart.

Lucidless

Hey there! Practically doing my dream trip! I spent around 3 months in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana.

If anything, drakensberg mountain range is incredible. I hiked extensively there, came across many sans people cave paintings. I promised myself to go back one day. Magical place that always will have part of my heart.
Im defiantly going there for a few days to trek and was also thinking about paragliding- if there are any good launch points.

Lucidless

Damn man, remember your not in Cali anymore, head on a swivel. Good heads up though.

Rig is looking good, have you pinned your first leg for us? So you have a spot or gps we can watch you?

Thanks, Carl
I know, people will actually stab you here if you snake their wave hahahaha. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to charting out the first leg of the trip- and I'm changing it around from what I originally wrote down on the map.

But it will go something like this Botswana (shake down trip) -> Zimbabwe -> Botswana -> Namibia -> Angola -> DRC-> Republic of Congo-> Gabon ->Equatorial Guinea-> Cameroon-> Nigeria-> Benin-> Togo-> Ghana-> Cote d'Ivoire-> Liberia-> Guinea-> Guinea-Bissau-> Senegal-> The Gambia-> Senegal (again)-> Mauritania-> Western Sahara-> Morocco- my dad is going to join for part of Morocco, and will take the ferry with me to Spain and then I continue though EU and will take the ferry over to Iceland.. etc. etc.. there are scavenger hunt coordinates from there all the way to Afghanistan.