Bush Alpha, Alu-cab 3.1, Terrapod

smileyboy

Hey all. I'm choosing a RTT. This will be my first. There seems to be a lot of different tents out there and quite a few seem be cookie cutter designs with slight modifications.

I chose these 3 because of their "uniqueness" and quality.

Some of my concerns are weight, comfort, amenities (usb outlets for phones, LED lights, star gazing, roof rack for solar panel and surfboards)

Bush tent 275lb
Alucab 3.1 172LB
Terrapod 100-120lb.

I also live in Oregon which is rainy in the winter, so insulation is a deciding factor too.
We plan to use the tent in other environments too, so an insulated tent sounds like a good idea.

I have yet to see a review on a Terrapod tent all though I have one on order.

The other two tents seem very close spec wise, but the weight difference is astounding to me.:oops:

My LC100 already has front and rear steel bumpers from BIOR.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Stabwell

There are plenty of individual review threads for at least the Bush and Alucab tents here. I've posted several review threads in the past on my Alucab Gen 3.

I've had my Alucab for 2.5 years, and I've been very happy with it. I'm fairly confident Alu-cab might be closer to 200lbs. Stock mattress is terrible, so you'll want to change that out first thing. My latex mattress probably added another 20-30 pounds to the stock weight.

I've got a friend with a Bush tent. I haven't seen it in person, but friends who've seen mine and his have said the Bush is more massive than Alucab. Thicker profile without the Alucab tapering. That might account for some of the weight difference.

smileyboy

Thank you for the response. Sorry for the new thread. Each tent seems to have a cult following. :D
We almost went with the Bush tent until I noticed the weight. I'm not sure it's worth it.
THe Terrapod seems nice and light. But it seems like it's lacking insulation.

JackW

Explorer
The Terrapod composite panels are an inch thick and do have an R value (Chad told me what it was but I've forgotten). Any roof tent is probably going to have a single layer wall so not much insulation there. A good mattress and sleeping bag are the key to staying warm as long as you stay dry. I think you will be very happy with your Terrapod as it's lighter and has a lot less frontal area than the other two. I used a Maggiolina for years before I recently sold it and bought a Terrapod Solo.

D90 wSOLO-1.jpg

Erockin

Bush tent 275lb
Alucab 3.1 172LB
Terrapod 100-120lb.

I've also been looking purchasing the Bush Company Alpha. After seeing this post and lots of different weights listed on various websites I checked with folks on the Bush company Facebook page and was given real world weight of 214lbs/97Kg with ladder and spring poles.

Stabwell

@Stabwell - do you have a link for what you replaced your mattress with? I recently purchased a Gen 3.1 and found the mattress to be ok, but I was thinking of adding to it or replacing as well.

Sorry no link. I purchased a 3inch perforated latex mattress topper. Sleep on latex brand. Extra full is the closest size. Length is about right. will have to trim some from the side to match taper. I stuffed it in a water proof mattress cover from Wal-mart, then slid it into the stock mattress cover. I used a medium firmness. Later added a 1inch soft topper for my wife.

dpsmedic

Adventurer
Sorry no link. I purchased a 3inch perforated latex mattress topper. Sleep on latex brand. Extra full is the closest size. Length is about right. will have to trim some from the side to match taper. I stuffed it in a water proof mattress cover from Wal-mart, then slid it into the stock mattress cover. I used a medium firmness. Later added a 1inch soft topper for my wife.

Thanks @Stabwell similar to what I did with my James Baroud when I had that. Do you find the AluCab closes ok with the now 4inches of padding and bedding in the tent? Do you store the ladder in there too or carry that inside your rig? Thanks for the help!

Stabwell

Thanks @Stabwell similar to what I did with my James Baroud when I had that. Do you find the AluCab closes ok with the now 4inches of padding and bedding in the tent? Do you store the ladder in there too or carry that inside your rig? Thanks for the help!

It's tight with the mattress, sleeping bags, and pillows. Everything compresses okay. I do not store the ladder in the tent. It stays in the rig.

NudeLobster

The only mattress I'll ever run in an RTT anymore is an Exped MegaMat Duo LW+. It's self inflating so we deflate it when we break down camp which allows us to carry a lot of bedding, pillows, clothes, etc in the tent without issue. when we open it, we close the vent, let it self inflate for a bit or give it some pumps with the included pillow pump. It's got a good R value and won't get hard like the foams and latex.

It allows us to sleep on a 4" mattress but pack a 0.5" mattress. I wholeheartedly think it's the only choice for an RTT mattress.

dukabor

Hi there....

I was looking at the Bush Alpha as well, but went with the QuickPitch..... very happy with it so far, in the 180lb range if I recall correctly....

not meaning to hijack in any way, but if you would like some details let me know...

moose545

I’d roll Autohome, Grand Tour 360 is amazing. No need to add a different mattress, comes with a great one and it’s super comfortable. Room inside too end to end; unlike the clamshell types. I’ve had an Alucab and a Bush Co., Alpha was definitely more comfy and double wall canvas was warmer, but caused or I’ll say “held” condensation more… the dual layer mesh in the Autohome breathes and doesn’t collect much or any from what I’ve seen so far. I’d try a Bundutec but the weight is more and their a bit more chunky, but comfortable as well.

concretejungle

Adventurer
I love my bush company RTT, but it's heavy. Once at camp and set up it's just awesome. The only negative is feeling the weight up top while driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles