Bumper Plans?

GaryMc

Explorer
I'm thinking about building some bumpers fro my '99 Ford since I can't afford one from Aluminess or the like. Are there any sources for plans/prints or do I just need to wing it?

Thanks- GMcD

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I just went thru the same dilema. I wound up doing a daily craigslist search for winch bumper in the title. I scored a nice Warn winch bumper that came off of Chevy truck for $75. I cut the mounts off and fabed up some new ones to fit the Ford Van. It's got 2 flat pads on the front of the frame rail vs the Chevy mount mounting parallel to the frame. The only thing left was to add a hoop that I had and a front reciver hitch.

bumper.JPG

I just painted it two days ago and will install it soon. It's perfect and I got to decide how high and how close to the body I wanted it. It's also a little beefier than when it was on the Chevy.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Hey that's about the same as what I did. Only mine was off an F250. I just needed something quick (because I am waiting for Chris to produce the UJOR ones :) ) to mount the winch before 10 of us headed out to the rockies for christmas. Didn't need the winch but the lights were a blessing.

P.S. Still waiting for Chris to produce a kit version of his bumper, Hint hint :drool:

IMG8840-XL.jpg

IMG8834-XL.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Got it done.
photo.jpgbump3.jpg
A Warn rep at the Overland Expo told me that a Warn 9500 XP would be what he would use and I lucked into a used one with synthetic line. He said they shine when run at or above max capacity and are lighter. I was able to mount the bumper with winch installed alone. I welded covers over the winch bolts to deter theives and may run a few beads to weld the bumper to the frame. Total investment was just over 700 and more hours than I care to admit but those are the kind of hours that are relaxing.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Your first post...Welcome! I don't know the weight but it does not have all the interior parts that a Sportsmobile has and I try to keep everything as light as possible. I also don't plan on dragging it thru hardcore trails so I'm sure the winch will pull fine. The frame horns are also a consideration but if I'm stuck bad enough to bend them I won't care. I read a ways back that a 12 -15k winch can bend them so I'd plan on some extra beef to the frame if you plan on the worst.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I know...... I know...... Just brought some new help into the shop to help free me up on "special" projects like the bumper.

nely

Adventurer
I was always under the impression a winch should be rated atleast 1.5x the weight of your vehicle.......

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
5616 was my factory 2WD curb weight. Thats 1300 more than a Rubicon 4wd. I wonder how much 4wd adds to a Van? Has anybody weighed before and after a conversion?

fabsomuch

Observer
If anyone needs E Series van bumper. Take a look at thees. Just a note, the grill guard is 1 3/4" too high because this was for a 2009 van. The bumper weighs 146 lbs. 2011-12-06 13.34.08(2).jpg2011-12-06 13.34.31.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94