Bulkhead mounted Anderson Plug to go on a rear bumper

tstead

Okay So I'm using Renogy's Dc to DC with mppt built in charging mechanism. I have the alternator / starter battery hooked up to a lithium "house battery" and the system is working great. The next step is to do a solar array which leads to some questions.

First: The schematic in the instruction manual displays a solar relay connected directly to the power input node on the Renogy DCtoDc with no fuse or circuit breaker in between. Does this seem right? I'm sure the mppt is diode protected but I would have thought at least a fuse in between those connections.

Second: I want to use a suitcase system that's ~150 watts. I could, and this would be quite easy, run an anderson plug that connects to a chassis ground and the solar node out the back window. However, this leaves the vehicle window open so I was potentially exposed to dust, rain etc with that window open so instead I want to do a bulkhead mounted connector that goes on my bumper. I would like something that has a cover that flips up when in use and drops down when nothing is attached. I'm having trouble finding the part that I want. does anyone know of anything?

Third: I'm seeing a lot of suitcase panels that have an mppt charger built in. This is fine but I obviously don't want that and would have to re-wire / rip it out. Is there a better option that does what I want?

tstead

Lots of small scale solar guys choose not to put a fuse between the array and controller. Many small arrays cant produce enough current to damage their conductors so OCPD on that circuit is omitted.
I suggest leaving its controller in place but add output leads for your application what bypass the controller.
This leaves the suitcase array capable charging other batteries if ever needed.

Would this potentially cause issues when I'm connecting the output of one charge controller to another charge controller? It's a good point, and if it doesn't do anything weird keeping it is a good idea, but I can't imagine two charge controllers together wouldn't cause logic issues or at least be really inefficient. Though i might be able to live with the inefficiency.

tstead

Not sure I understand question...
If you modify to bypass its built in controller, the suitcase array works just like any other plain ‘ol solar module and hooks up to whatever separate controller you want.
When time comes to charge a different battery, undo the bypass then hook up that battery as that suitcase was originally intended.

Ah I see what you're saying. I was looking at as all or nothing. You either have the other charge controller there or you don't. I think you would have to bypass it though based on what I've seen. The voltage would be off going from one controller to the next and it would cause issues.

WSS

Rock Stacker
I have used the regular Anderson connector and built a mount using the existing bolt holes on a few of our Jeeps like this:

cruxarche

Observer

Rando

Explorer
An SB50 would be way oversized for this application, and the contacts would be far too big for the sort of wire needed. There are lots of circular bulk head connectors that would work well for this application. Here is the first (but probably not the best) that I found:
30A, weather resistant, latching with strain relief - $13 for both ends......

01tundra

Explorer
I mounted my SB175 plug to the hitch with bolts and a couple aluminum spacers.

UgJE7fM.jpg

D9Hl9tB.jpg

Reactions: WSS

WSS

Rock Stacker
I mounted my SB175 plug to the hitch with bolts and a couple aluminum spacers.

UgJE7fM.jpg

D9Hl9tB.jpg

I like the hidden/ out of the way location! I still need to put a 175 in the rear of my TJ.

The OP is only pulling a few amps, these 175's may be overkill.

01tundra

Explorer
Yeah, I was just throwing out ideas for the OP since I too was originally researching bulkhead fittings.

The 175's are definitely a beast of a plug :)

Hey @01tundra Was that easy to drill into? I assumed that would be very hard steel. This is just about the only place to put a SB175 on a Tundra, however, on later models, there is not really a flat spot to do this as the hitch has changed. Making a bracket and mounting to the receiver's round tubing seems just about the only option, short of tucking it far up and out of the way.

01tundra

Explorer
Hey @01tundra Was that easy to drill into? I assumed that would be very hard steel. This is just about the only place to put a SB175 on a Tundra, however, on later models, there is not really a flat spot to do this as the hitch has changed. Making a bracket and mounting to the receiver's round tubing seems just about the only option, short of tucking it far up and out of the way.

The plate was easy to drill through.

WSS

Rock Stacker
Keep in mind Anderson plugs are rated at load, meaning they are hot swap-able or at load connection. 175a can be done or undone at full load. So the actual capacity connected is likely much higher. Some high amp alternators are above 175.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94