Bulk propane distribution manifold thingy.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I am in need of a bulk propane distribution manifold. I already have one of these:

5114D775C_500.jpg

Normally, this would work well. It has for years. But now with my new trailer, the propane tank is already up to chest high, and the distribution tree hits the awning, and is slightly useless.

What I am envisioning is probably something that needs to be custom built. Thats ok, but where do I find the parts I need? Here is a rough explanation of what i need.

I have a 20 pound propane cylinder, so I need a way to hook to this. I would like to then come out with a block with three of the smaller coleman style size outlets so I can hook hoses to what I need, namely my grill, my shower heater, and my tent heater. It would also have a 8-10" tall tube running vertically with a small adapter on it like the coleman unit has so I can put a lantern on top. I am pretty darn handy when it comes to making stuff on my own, and probably can do this myself. But, I am not sure where to get the coleman style/size adapters from. I am sure they have a name....

Or, if there is already something like this out there, I could just buy it. I searched on here for something, and on google, but am coming up dry. I *thought* I remember reading something on here From Scott Brady about a distribution manifold he had or made... but cant find it.

This is a picture taken this weekend by another member on here (Zelix), but it shows the problem I am having, and may help give you an idea of what I need.

2-2.jpg

Help!

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I looks like once you buy the main screw connection with a regulators, all you need is copper pipe and fittings. I was actually thinking about the same thing this past weekend, so thank you for finding me the regulator and tank adapter.

This weekend, I had to make a copper manifold out of 1/2" to join two tanks on the exterior of my garage and bring into the garage for my heaters. I'm sure you can sweat pipe (or figure it out and practice), so just get a regulator, a couple T's and 1/2" to 1/4" NPT, then buy the fittings for use with the NPT-"throw away cylinder". Mount it on the inside, or at least inside of a box and your good to go.

Don

-

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Uh, no!
Here is why: Depending on ambient temperature propane in the tank is something less than 200 psi. Sweated copper fittings are good for 40-60 psi working pressure with soft solder. Using silver solder gets you up to about 175 psi at most.
http://www.propane101.com/regulators.htm
Propane tank pressure can range from under 10 psig to over 200 psig.

Unless you plan to regulate right out of the tank before going into the manifold this is not a great idea. No such issue with using flared copper tubing and fittings. Regulating right out of the tank might work, but my bet is on slow response or inadequate fuel volume delivery if the distance is great enough.

The various propane specific fittings are usually available at real hardware stores. Some of the tank fittings have flow restrictors in them. I had to drill out one after suffering a week with it on it's first trip.
I used 1/2 black pipe and fittings for both of my 'propane trees.'

Last edited:

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Uh, no!

Unless you plan to regulate right out of the tank before going into the manifold this is not a great idea.

That was what I meant... On the houses around here, that is way the propane dealers do it with the big tanks outside above or below ground. Copper up to, and into the house, then switch to black threaded pipe.

If you didn't have the regulator at the tank, would you be suggesting to have one at each outlet, or somewhere along the line?

I was thinking that I would do a flexible line to a copper (or maybe now black pipe) that would run along the frame to a couple of outlets, then go back to to flex. One at the back for shower/BBQ grill, one at the front for a camping grill, and one at each side for lantern/heaters. Haven't thought the whole plan through though as far as valving and locations/protection...

Don

-

gasman

Adventurer
i will second the motion on the black iron pipe i would prolly want to use as much iron and as little copper as i could . and make sure you use the proper copper .. for gas .. i use copper for gas lines all the time but i dont like it.. it easier yes its way faster and time is money.. but given the choice i would use black iron ... its cleaner and stonger and less prone to damage in your situation on a trailer it could get banged up.. how bout if you used some hose.. industrial type to the manifold ? may not be legal but some hydraulic hose with the right fittins on it could do the trick ..WAIT A MINUTE !! hold on to this thought for a minute i just had a thought that might be perfect for you
i will get back to you soon.....

gasman

Adventurer
eew ya .. i dont know bout where your located regarding the gas codes and i know trailers and mobile homes will prolly fall into another catagory but ... im pretty sure sweatin copper for gas aint allowed at all .. never ever.. you either have to use compression style fittings or .. braze the copper you should check that and if im wrong.. im sorry but i dint think so better safe than sorry ... and then there is the other train of thought.. its only a trailer who's gonna seee it... as long as its safe..

Hafwit

Adventurer
Aside from the risks to you personally, keep in mind that if you put something together that violates your local code or the code where you are camping, that injuries resulting to "innocent" bystanders from faulty equipment/construction might get you stuck in an indefensible lawsuit. It is better to make things to code standards or better for both safety and piece of mind.

gasman

Adventurer
ok got it most of my installers at work are really liking the corragated flex pipe . its pretty stong stuff easy to work with . with the right tools and fitting they can run all the gas lines in a house in a couple of hours max.. its the way of the future ... they will bring a hard line in from the meter build a manifold and run the lines to where ever..
could this be a help for you you could run from your tank to the back of the trailer to your manifold even run a branch line or 2

http://www.gastite.com/

gasman

Adventurer
Aside from the risks to you personally, keep in mind that if you put something together that violates your local code or the code where you are camping, that injuries resulting to "innocent" bystanders from faulty equipment/construction might get you stuck in an indefensible lawsuit. It is better to make things to code standards or better for both safety and piece of mind.

for sure .. i wouldnt do it unless it right ..

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Most propane appliances intended for camping use have a regulator built into them somewhere. Lanterns, stoves, etc. all have this feature. Assuming that you are intending to use items like that or items like my Camp Chef (which has it's own, typical, regulator) there is no need for another regulator.

gasman

Adventurer
how bout this.. just go down to your local propne distribution type place and tell them what you wanna do.. i am sure they will give you the proper answer. then tell us .

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for all the replies, even though some all over the map! :elkgrin:

I got it figured out, and will post a picture of what I went with. Simple and safe, just needed to figure out where to buy the parts.

~ James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94