Bulb seal

jwiereng

Looking for a Canadian supplier of rubber bulb seal for using in trailers doors / hatches.

Mackmaster karr does not want to sell to Canada.

Grainger only sells to businesses they say.

Any other places I should look? B245A7D1-BF19-4E19-A755-06CE4EFB026A.jpeg

S2DM

Adventurer
Trimlok, uni-grip, Steele-rubber.

most of these are sold on Amazon as well which sometimes has better deals on small quantities (a lot of this stuff is only sold in 250 lineal feet or greater)

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Similarly, I buy from Grainger all the time in California. With the new curbside services it is super easy, credit card on the web and they bring it to the car.

however, Amazon has lots of those types of things and they bring it to your house!

jwiereng

Grainger was mentioned several times, and I agree that it would be nice if they would sell to end users. Grainer Canada seems to be different from the experiences that members have posted. Here is the first line of their purchasing policy "
Acklands-Grainger Inc. ("Grainger") is a distributor of MRO products to businesses, and such products are to be used for business purposes only. We reserve the right to restrict sales of products unless business verification has been performed."

There are many reasons they might choose to operate this way. Takes a lot of time serving customers that come in for ones and twos.

Amazon Canada is not the same as USA amazon too. Less selection, usually higher shipping fees too. Canada is great, but we don't have the same consumer purchasing opportunities as USA. USA dollar exchange is not in our favour as consumers now either. This is the reason for my initial inquiry. Still hoping to find a Canadian source.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Another option would be to determine a similar vehicle based application and order for that from an auto parts supplier. For instance, the seal shown earlier in a photo is a basic pinch weld seal that can be found in great variety on various car doors. Walk through a junkyard with a measuring tape and a keen eye and you can probably find something, probably even in good enough condition to re-use.

mrbacklash

Find the part number on Grainger and see if it is on Zoro they are the same company but zoro has better prices than grainger and is more directed at consumers. Grainger has better prices if you have a business account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwiereng

Zoro does not ship to Canada. I live 15 mins from the border with western NY. I have a USA address service that I have used in the past. COVID rules don't let my cross the border on land. Ok to fly across, but too costly.

yfarm

Observer
Ebay also read description carefully, the embedded metal lip may be plain steel, stainless or aluminum depending on planned use. Is common in marine use for hatch seals

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Not to beat the Grainger horse to death, but I recently discovered that my employer has a deal where you can sign up for a web account under your name with the company as employer and your purchases are aggregated with the company purchases. That might be a work-around for those in the north! The benefit for me is that pricing is generally about 25% below web pricing for my employer.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
There are a number of Canadian-friendly McMaster alternatives listed in this Reddit thread:
Obviously no one of those businesses carries the same breadth of stuff as McMaster, but you may be able to find at least one that stocks the bulb seal you need.

jwiereng

Until reading the replies to this thread, I did not consider Princess Auto. I thought my browsing that store was frequent enough that I have a good idea on the types of products they carry. I now see they have several kinds of bulb seals. Thanks

link here
images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz