Buket List

Waytec

Adventurer
In a year and bit I will be 30. I am starting to have concerns about that because my father did not live to see 53 (@#$%^&* Cancer). so my bucket list is looking to get some checks on it. one of the big ones is to have and ride a bike. So I have looked at cursers, and crotch rockets. but I am getting very existed about "adventure bikes" as some of the manufactures are calling them.

I read long way round and long way down several times now. and they rode BMWs - way out of my price range for right now.

So what is a good bike to learn on?

I have talked to several different people and all have said bigger is better being that I am 6'2'' and for round numbers 280 to 300lbs. (I don't own a scale but I am a 40 inch waste pending cut). I know I need to go around and talk to dealers but a lot don't know much about these bikes, and being central Alberta where money flows in the pips they go straight to the most expensive one in the shop. I don't have a budget to support that.
What should I look for in a bike and I don't want to spend a lot on this one because I will drop it and probably do things to it that will make people look away in hoer, but I am learning.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

I would say pick a comfortable bike in the 250CC range. Also, please take a MSF class before you hope on one. It's only a "starter" bike, you'll probably drop it or low side it..so don't worry about it being small or under powered.

But, since you are a taller fella, a KLR 650 wouldn't be a bad choice, not overly powerful for its size and your long legs will fit.

FYI I ride a 2005 Honda CB 900:

Tallahassee20084-1.jpg

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The KLR is a good all around bike. They are cheap, abundant, and have a lot loyal followers who have worked through all the little nagging problems (and posted solutions all over the internet). The downside is that they are under powered and the suspension isn't that great (keep in mind that I may be a bit spoiled with a BMW and a Husaberg, both with aftermarket suspensions), but when you look at the bang for the buck ratio -- the KLR isn't too bad.

A KLR between your butt and the road is worth a billion BMW's in the showroom . . . motorcycles are fun, no matter what brand or model you are riding.

I'm not sure if the MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) operates up in Alberta, but if they do, it is money and time well spent to take the basic rider course.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Buy used

For a first time training bike, I'd buy used if I were you. Several reasons; first you can save a lot of money over a new bike. Second, if you decide that you really don't like bikes, you can sell it and probably not lose out too much on the deal. third, You will drop it. So start with something you won't cry your eyes out over putting a few scratches and dings on.

I started riding about a year ago. I bought a used '02 F650GS Dakar. Great bike for a tall fellow. I now have five thousand miles on the Dakar, and 1,200 miles on a R1150RT I bought about a month and a half ago. I like 'em!

Oh, I'm 62. Wish I would have started younger as my strength and coordination aren't what they used to be. But I also realize now that I'm not immortal, so haven't killed myself yet.

the biggest things about bikes is balance. Learn to drop your center of gravity from your shoulders (tense!!!) down to your butt (relaxed), and riding will become second nature in a hurry.

Have fun, ride safe, ride often.

Dale, the Old Fart :bike_rider:

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I would also suggest a KLR 650 for a few reasons:

1) Very affordable - $3000 will get you a very clean used one. Even cheaper wouldn't be hard to find.
2) Adequate power and certainly not too much for a new rider.
3) Should fit you well given your size
4) In stock form, it is a great example of a dual sport bike. It doesn't do anything great, but it will go a lot of places and has good fuel range stock. Other than some small (and likely overstated) quirks, they are very reliable.
5) Related to #1 above - This may not be your last bike. But you can get it cheap and sell it for little loss if you don't like motorcycling. If you do like motorcycling, you may very well find another motorcycle (different DS bike, or different type altogether) is what you really want. If you decide to get another bike, you won't take a bath if reselling a used KLR. Or it may be cheap enough to keep and get a different type.

You will find a lot of very pro KLR folks (for a reason) who believe the KLR is the best bike ever built. I am not one of those people and would take a DR650 over one any day. But there are certain people it is the perfect bike for - and you seem to be one of those types given your size, experience, and current desire.

Given your interest in cruisers and sport bikes, you may also want to look at the Kawasaki Versys. A more street oriented dual sport. They can be had for $4K and less on the used market (in the US). Brand new can be $5K for 09s to around $6k+ for 2010s. If I add a second bike to my stable, the versys is one the short list.

Last edited:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i dont understand it when folks recommend small bikes for 1st bikes,,, the best 1st bike is the one you want, the one that best siuts your needs and desired riding. there is simply no learning curve for the SIZE of a bike if your not racing and have half a brain.

get a bike thats comfortable, get a bike that fits your needs. my neighbor who is about 5.6 and stockey just got a 1st bike. talking to others he kept getting the 250cc thing mostly because of his height i guess. but he plans quite a bit of pavement with only forest and groomed roads for dirt. we went through his wants and desires and he got a DR650. of course we lowered it and have been doing some mods to better fit him. he's not racing it so he will learn to ride it and he wont outgrow it in 3 mos.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
i dont understand it when folks recommend small bikes for 1st bikes,,, the best 1st bike is the one you want, the one that best siuts your needs and desired riding. there is simply no learning curve for the SIZE of a bike if your not racing and have half a brain.

get a bike thats comfortable, get a bike that fits your needs. my neighbor who is about 5.6 and stockey just got a 1st bike. talking to others he kept getting the 250cc thing mostly because of his height i guess. but he plans quite a bit of pavement with only forest and groomed roads for dirt. we went through his wants and desires and he got a DR650. of course we lowered it and have been doing some mods to better fit him. he's not racing it so he will learn to ride it and he wont outgrow it in 3 mos.

I pretty much agree. Certainly there are some people that are really intimidated by the size/weight of a motorcycle. Maybe smaller is better for those people (although lower is probably more important). But if you're wanting to take it 60+ regularly, going too small can leave a bad impression about how nice it can be to ride at those speeds. If you're jonesing for a Harley, a GZ250 just won't be enjoyable for you.

Conversely. I'm not sure a 900 lb Goldwing or a 150 HP crotchrocket are suitable for most first timers either. But that is an extreme. For an average person, I don't see a big problem with starting on a midsize 600/650cc bike.

D

Deleted member 9101

Sorry, your first bike stands about a 100% chance of getting dropped and or wrecked. Also, would you give a person who has never driven a vehicle before a new sports car? why woudl a motorcycle be any different?

Oh and yes, bike size, braking, weight, power, and handling have a huge learning curve.

D

Deleted member 9101

I pretty much agree. Certainly there are some people that are really intimidated by the size/weight of a motorcycle. Maybe smaller is better for those people (although lower is probably more important). But if you're wanting to take it 60+ regularly, going too small can leave a bad impression about how nice it can be to ride at those speeds. If you're jonesing for a Harley, a GZ250 just won't be enjoyable for you.

Conversely. I'm not sure a 900 lb Goldwing or a 150 HP crotchrocket are suitable for most first timers either. But that is an extreme. For an average person, I don't see a big problem with starting on a midsize 600/650cc bike.

In most of Europe you have to state on small bikes and work your way up to a larger one... consequently they have far fewer accidents and even fewer fatalities. If you learn on a smaller bike, in the end you will be a much more proficient rider than one who starts off on a larger more powerful one. But don't take my word for it.. ask any MSF or any other riding course instructor, statics don't lie.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
i am 5'11" 280 and my klr works fine!

great all around bike.

jimmy

sweet..thats my build and the KLR is what Im lookin at.

I agree with the no-smaller-bikes...I started out on a kz440 many years ago..then jumped right to a 1100 honda v-twin..I coulda done the v-twin right off the bat...but I had years of ridin dirtbikes to use as training..

this spring...a gently used KLR will be in the garage..seein as i sold all the rock-crawler 4x4 buggys..

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Sorry, your first bike stands about a 100% chance of getting dropped and or wrecked. Also, would you give a person who has never driven a vehicle before a new sports car? why woudl a motorcycle be any different?

Oh and yes, bike size, braking, weight, power, and handling have a huge learning curve.

My first bike was a brand new 2007 650GS. I put 25K on it, and it never hit the pavement. I dropped it off road plenty of times -- but it was far from wrecked or destroyed. In fact, when I traded it in after those two years and 25K miles, they gave me $500 less than I paid for it.

I am neither tall, nor an exceptional rider. I took the BRC a month before I bought the bike (I had to order it), and prior to that, I had only spent a few hours on a dirt bike in the early 90's. Some people are better off starting with a small (~200cc) bike -- others are just fine starting off with a 650cc (like I was), and others are fine starting off with even bigger bikes.

You can't make one shoe fit every foot.

D

Deleted member 9101

My first bike was a brand new 2007 650GS. I put 25K on it, and it never hit the pavement. I dropped it off road plenty of times -- but it was far from wrecked or destroyed. In fact, when I traded it in after those two years and 25K miles, they gave me $500 less than I paid for it.

I am neither tall, nor an exceptional rider. I took the BRC a month before I bought the bike (I had to order it), and prior to that, I had only spent a few hours on a dirt bike in the early 90's. Some people are better off starting with a small (~200cc) bike -- others are just fine starting off with a 650cc (like I was), and others are fine starting off with even bigger bikes.

You can't make one shoe fit every foot.

Just saying, statics don't lie. People put pride, ego's and public opinion above learning how to be a safe, skilled, proficient rider.

I have said what I have to say, I am done with this topic. When I get back to the states at the end of the year..I get to go back to picking up the pieces of new riders off the street.

Capt Sport

Adventurer
If your looking for a good starter street bike, I'd take a good look at the DRZ super moto. I'm about your size and recently bought a DRZs and have been having a great time on it. I grew up riding bikes and have ridden several over the years. My buddies got a Super Moto and I gotta tell you it's an absolute blast!!! You can learn on it and as you get better you'll have a ton a fun ripping up the canyons as you getter more confident. Also, when your ready for a bigger street bike, you can swap the tires/rims out for some off of an S or E model and have a great dirt bike. If not a SM then I'd get a dual sport for a first bike. Very versatile bikes and will help you focus in on what you really want later. Also, you can drop em with out breaking the bank to get em back in business.

Just food for thought.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
In most of Europe you have to state on small bikes and work your way up to a larger one... consequently they have far fewer accidents and even fewer fatalities. If you learn on a smaller bike, in the end you will be a much more proficient rider than one who starts off on a larger more powerful one. But don't take my word for it.. ask any MSF or any other riding course instructor, statics don't lie.

I don't think anybody is saying a smaller bike isn't easier to learn on or safer to some degree. The problem lies in believing ALL people should start out on a 200cc bike. Sure, Europe has cc mandates for new riders - but this isn't Europe. In the U.S., and I imagine Canada as well (where the OP is located) driving is different than in many other countries. Where I live, the flow of traffic can be almost 70mph on parkways. That's without ever getting on an interstate. Not to mention, there are 250cc bikes that are quicker than some 650cc bikes.

Plus, to put a random cc limit is silly. I started on a DRZ400 and I'm only 5'8". A 650cc cruiser with a 29" seat height would have been a much easier bike for me to learn on. But I would not have been happy with it and probably wouldn't still be motorcycling if I had gone that route.

So while it is a valid point for a new rider to ride within his/her limits, a blanket rule that says a 95 lb, 5'4" female should start on the same bike as a 6'4", 300 lb lumberjack is silly.

What's safe, IMHO, is to make a suggestion based upon the individual. Frankly, suggesting a KLR to the OP is quite reasonable in this case.

But maybe treating people individually is getting out of style when it's easier to just have one size fits all rules.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier