Building your own canopy/camper.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Chilli,

Looks like you are moving up in the world full speed to a GMT400 truck, cant't wait until you get youself a GMT800 setup. Diesel Tahoe looks great with 37s.

Thanks for the kind thoughts Crazy, but I think this thing is to new. I hate computers and electriacal that I need a scanner to fix as I dont have the experience with it. I can rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4 barrel GM carb without any problems. Fuel injection and I am lost. I guess I am just too old school. When the diesel eventually dies, ( it has 400k kilometers on it) I will probably replace it with a 454 that runs on propane with some huge tanks for long range. Here in Canada propane is a little over half the cost of gasoline so I really dont have to worry about the mileage. That and I only need one wire to run the motor. The auto trans I will get a rebuilder to delete the computer and get a throttle position setup and a shift kit. No more computers as I feel they belong in an office. Cheers, Chilli... 😎

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Thanks for the kind thoughts Crazy, but I think this thing is to new. I hate computers and electriacal that I need a scanner to fix as I dont have the experience with it. I can rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4 barrel GM carb without any problems. Fuel injection and I am lost. I guess I am just too old school. When the diesel eventually dies, ( it has 400k kilometers on it) I will probably replace it with a 454 that runs on propane with some huge tanks for long range. Here in Canada propane is a little over half the cost of gasoline so I really dont have to worry about the mileage. That and I only need one wire to run the motor. The auto trans I will get a rebuilder to delete the computer and get a throttle position setup and a shift kit. No more computers as I feel they belong in an office. Cheers, Chilli... 😎
Chilli,

Computers are not so bad, once you spend some quality time with one you can clone others for the LS block to have as a back up. 4L60 can be easily converted to a run as full manual with a ratchet shifter, only requires 4 or 5 wires to be re-wired from the tranny harness. Not sure about the 4L80 but should be the similar.

454 on propane sounds like a fun combination, hope you put an RV cam into it to maximize your low end torque.

You are lucky that you know your carbs, I'm at a loss when it comes to carbs. Too complicated for my sausage fingers.

Wait, you said 454 on propane in a 2 door Tahoe, lol, that will make your diesel feel like a 4cylinder civic motor.

Can't wait to see that beast.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World
by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman
From $10.99
Into Africa
by Sam Manicom
From $21.02
999 Days Around Africa: The Road Chose Me
by Dan Grec, Dan Grec
From $19.95

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Chilli,

Computers are not so bad, once you spend some quality time with one you can clone others for the LS block to have as a back up. 4L60 can be easily converted to a run as full manual with a ratchet shifter, only requires 4 or 5 wires to be re-wired from the tranny harness. Not sure about the 4L80 but should be the similar.

454 on propane sounds like a fun combination, hope you put an RV cam into it to maximize your low end torque.

You are lucky that you know your carbs, I'm at a loss when it comes to carbs. Too complicated for my sausage fingers.

Wait, you said 454 on propane in a 2 door Tahoe, lol, that will make your diesel feel like a 4cylinder civic motor.

Can't wait to see that beast.

Yes well thanks for the kind words my friend. As long as the old diesel still works i will be driving it. It has 400k kilometrs on the clock. Divide that by 1.6 to get miles. It is still reliale but somewhat weak. My bigest problem is tthat if I put a powerhouse motor under the hood that I willl need extra weight in that back for traction. Maybe a 200 gallon propane tank? Tell me what you think Crazy. Your input is always wellcome. Cheers, Chilli..😎

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Yes well thanks for the kind words my friend. As long as the old diesel still works i will be driving it. It has 400k kilometrs on the clock. Divide that by 1.6 to get miles. It is still reliale but somewhat weak. My bigest problem is tthat if I put a powerhouse motor under the hood that I willl need extra weight in that back for traction. Maybe a 200 gallon propane tank? Tell me what you think Crazy. Your input is always wellcome. Cheers, Chilli..😎
Chilli,

Yeah, extra weight in the back will be needed to counter the massive big boy up front. 200gallon propane tank, you are funny, thats 800lbs of propane. So you are realistically looking at two 420lb propane tanks. Each is 4ft long and 3ft diameter. You will look like a space shuttle but hell you will be able to run 2,000km with that setup before a refill. That I would love to see.

I always liked diesels for towing and just regular highway cruising, hated them off road, not sure why. Your truck has at least another 400k left in ti before you will even think of re-powering. I would keep it as is, and just find yourself a project 2 door Tahoe with a big block and play with it on the side to see which parts of which setup you like better and then combine them into that one truck that is absolutely perfect for you and no one else.

Good luck and I always look forward to your adventures. Keep it up.

AbleGuy

Too Much Fun Club, founder
Chilli....it’s good to see you back to posting your inspirational shots. But hey dude, you’re starting to slip a little ! You forgot to add the usual hot chick in your picture for us. You do know that’s the main reason most of us go to your thread😎 right?

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Chilli....it’s good to see you back to posting your inspirational shots. But hey dude, you’re starting to slip a little ! You forgot to add the usual hot chick in your picture for us. You know that’s the main reason most of us go to your thread😎

Ok I will try to improve in the future..... Cheers, Chilli.. 😎

Recommended books for Overlanding