building the Bullet XV

sarconcepts

Adventurer
Glad to see you both got 'em
& there's still 5 more for those who move quickly
Jack, as much as I'm titilated by your offer of having two extra transfer cases up on the roof of the Bullet for 'just in case', I think I'm past the challenge of another truck project. once I've done it, I'm onto the next challenge.
(lord knows Mike Hiscox has dropped some bait about a shared project) but right now, Yves & Leslie (westyss) have me more focused on early retirement & traveling around long term (dam their visit)!
Now.. ... do you have anything on one of those pallets that can help Bethany retire early!

Steve

Healeyjet

Explorer
Mine is to arrive by end of day Wednesday and I can't wait. Then I just have to have someone make the adapter like you made and I am all set!
Ward

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
The "brown truck" delivered my jack today!

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!

The thing is band spanking new! And it came in a ballistic nylon bag custom made for the "monster"! I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks again for thinking of me!

Waiting for your testing results. Although I was thinking an air powered hydraulic pump might be an option for a lazy bugger like me.

Gifu

Observer
scrolled through most if not all of this build thread... nice work. I could not find a list of the appliances. Curious what you used for a water heater... and for a stove.

I just put a deposit down on a 2003 chevy box truck that was built as a race truck. Lots of cool stuff... loft bed that I can fit my mtn bikes and dirt bike under, shower, kitchen, couch/bed, etc... But was designed to be plugged in... so the water heater is a 120v (yes, I rolled my eyes also).

Mine is not quite the well thought out rolling work of art you have here... but the price is right and lots of professionally built touches.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
The "brown truck" delivered my jack today!

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!

The thing is band spanking new! And it came in a ballistic nylon bag custom made for the "monster"! I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks again for thinking of me!

I found one on eBay for my build. Bought it and it arrived a while ago. Shocking how much they weigh.

sarconcepts

Adventurer
Gifu
scrolled through most if not all of this build thread... nice work. I could not find a list of the appliances. Curious what you used for a water heater... and for a stove.

I just put a deposit down on a 2003 chevy box truck that was built as a race truck. Lots of cool stuff... loft bed that I can fit my mtn bikes and dirt bike under, shower, kitchen, couch/bed, etc... But was designed to be plugged in... so the water heater is a 120v (yes, I rolled my eyes also).

Mine is not quite the well thought out rolling work of art you have here... but the price is right and lots of professionally built touches.

sorry for the slow reply, Bethany & I took the Bullet to Cape Blanco this past weekend, the first weekend not to be raining in Oregon this year. the first question to ask is, are you planning to install solar? as that may alter your decision on what appliances to get. I chose to wire for future solar but not install it until we move less & sit more (probably another 10 years or so) how this may affect your appliance decisions is that if you have unlimited electricity, you should choose appliances with that in mind, for instance an all electric refrigerator with a compressor vs. a three way fridge (it uses a lot less electricity). Not having solar yet, I chose to run most things on propane.
The 3 way fridge - Dometic RM2454 - which works on propane, 12 volt or 120 volt. I use gas all the time except while driving when it's on 12 volt as the engine charges the house battery (get the optional power vent fan also, you'll appreciate it when in Death Valley)
Now I know the 3 ways aren't supposed to be anything but perfectly level to operate properly, but for 6 years mine has worked perfectly, even being banged around
The furnace - an Atwood 8500-IV series furnace (single stage) model 8520 - it's a bit big for the bullet, but with soft sides it has no problem keeping it warm no matter what's going on outside. now this is the only appliance I've replaced since building the Bullet. the original furnace was another atwood two stage furnace with digital thermometer - STAY AWAY FROM THOSE, the digital thermostat was too smart for it's own good, (plus me bouncing the hell out of the camper on dirt roads probably didn't help much) but after a year or so, the thermometer would set back to a default 68 degrees which was way too warm in the camper, plus it would shut off on it's own, or turn on without asking me, etc.
I replaced the thermometer once, & the second one did the same thing.
stick with the single stage analogue thermometer.
The water heater - a Suburban SW6D propane 6 gallon water heater - always works perfectly, nothing more to be said
The cooktop - a Wedgewood vision drop-in propane cooktop - model 56283 - also always works perfectly, the only thing I may do differently here is get one that is recessed with a counter-flush cover to increase counter space when not in use, as Bethany & I tend to do a lot of food prep inside before cooking outside.
& lastly, and added just last year, I would also recommend an inverter. We went on a camping trip last year ending in dinner out at the Portland City Grill with Mike Hiscox, Sue & Evalyn (not camping)!. Bethany wanted to have the ability to use her curling iron to pretty herself up before dinner, so I installed one, plus, it gave me the ability to use power tools if needed (I now carry a grinder with a cut off wheel)
I chose the Kisae ABSO sinewave 2000 watt inverter/charger model IC122055. I got rid of the previous power wizard charger, not that I didn't like it, but this new one now did both inverting & charging. We just used 120 volts this past weekend using a blender while camping to make a cheese & garlic sauce from scratch, so things have a way of getting used because you have them.
these are pretty simple appliances, no "engine-heat recapturing" or pre-heat options, but the Bullet is really a glorified four wheel camper, & everything we have works great & offers more than we've ever had.
I hope this helps, but remember, I only know what works for me.

Gifu

Observer
Great info. Thank you.
Could you take couple picts of the water heater install?

The box truck I bought (2003 Chevy Express with 16' box) was "professionally" built by a company that builds race trailers and sprinters. It was built as a toy hauler and has some nice features like fully welded capinetry, solar, inverter, shower, adsustable loft bed, etc.
but the PO punted on the water heater (120v electric... yeah) and fridge (also 120v electric)...
water heater:
the current 120v electric water heater is mounted underneath the truck. I am not sure how or where I could sink a traditional RV propane water heater in the side. The furnace is propane... but there is no tank at the moment. There are two large tool boxes under the rear which I could mount a 5 gallon tank.
Fridge:
Might just grab one of this huge two compartment domestic chest fridge/freezer
Stove:
I also like a lot of counter space. Was thinking of mounting a high end double burner camp stove (partner?) on a swivel canterlevered off the kitchen counter...
I'll start a thread here in a day or so...

sarconcepts

Adventurer
essentially, you're just cutting a hole in the exterior wall & sliding the unit in from the outside & fastening it. you will want a surface flush with the bottom of the opening on the inside for the tank to rest on, I built mine in pretty tight, as I didn't want any banging around.
Pretty simple install
water heater 001.jpgwater heater 002.jpg
water heater 003.jpgwater heater 005.jpg
img023.jpg

sarconcepts

Adventurer
HMMMM.. ..
your "foot" looks suspiciously a lot like mine!
good idea with the 90 degree elbow on the cylinder, i may do the same.
& yes, i also had mine tested before i used it at all, mine was fine, but you never know how long these have been sitting.
nice mod's Jack

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Great info. Thank you.
Could you take couple picts of the water heater install?

The box truck I bought (2003 Chevy Express with 16' box) was "professionally" built by a company that builds race trailers and sprinters. It was built as a toy hauler and has some nice features like fully welded capinetry, solar, inverter, shower, adsustable loft bed, etc.
but the PO punted on the water heater (120v electric... yeah) and fridge (also 120v electric)...
water heater:
the current 120v electric water heater is mounted underneath the truck. I am not sure how or where I could sink a traditional RV propane water heater in the side. The furnace is propane... but there is no tank at the moment. There are two large tool boxes under the rear which I could mount a 5 gallon tank.
Fridge:
Might just grab one of this huge two compartment domestic chest fridge/freezer
Stove:
I also like a lot of counter space. Was thinking of mounting a high end double burner camp stove (partner?) on a swivel canterlevered off the kitchen counter...
I'll start a thread here in a day or so...

I have one of these heaters, brand new in the box. For sale. PM me if interested. It is filling up space in my garage.

sarconcepts

Adventurer
OK
not usually am I as impressed or as perplexed as I now am.
The mechanical engineer in me (I'm not one) can clearly understand the slide out part, that's easy, but the way the furniture folds up & out of the way, then folds down all on it's own is what really turns the furniture builder in me (I'm not one of those either) on !
The video is not great but stick it out until the end & you'll see the furniture folding up on it's own.
I think even I could have made a better video showcasing the process better (nope.. ..not a video guy either)!
[video]https://youtu.be/ZC8__hhtMTw[/video]

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Saw your rig at the delaer in town today, so I pulled into the lot to check it out. I followed this build years ago on here and it was cool to see it in the flesh.

Hopefully not there for anything too much! Out of curiosity did you consider longer coils instead of the leveling spacers? And how many miles do you have on the tires? I have the same tires but in the 265 and im at close to 95k(they wear like iron) and they probably need replacement before winter. I may goto the 285.

Sharp looking rig. The dealer should give you a labor price break, having that on their lot gives'em some street cred!

-Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles