Building new interior for my camper-Star board and baltic birch

HAF

Have experimented with a lot of different materials and combinations. The solution I am working on right now seems to offer the best combination of durability and light weight. I am combining Starwood and some baltic birch for stiffness. Machining the material with dado's and holes provided perfectly square and jigged fit up. Not using glue outside of dipping screws in wood glue prior to fastening and have added aluminum angles in spots where I couldn't have visible fasteners. Have a false floor in it to allow for easy routing of electrical or plumbing. The cabinet shown has three drawers and space for a fridge. The space on the right end mates to a shower enclosure. The space will house a toilet until needed. When one needs to go, the toilet slides into the shower, then slides back when not in use. There will be a sink over the top which allows for plumbing to be easily accessed through large hinged door. Was happy to find that when I lifted the entire unit, it was pretty light in weight.

Attachments

• IMG_9184.jpg
    IMG_9184.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_9182.jpg
    IMG_9182.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_9177.jpg
    IMG_9177.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_9176.jpg
    IMG_9176.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_9179.jpg
    IMG_9179.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_9178.jpg
    IMG_9178.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:

Fatboyz

Observer
Nice. Is this a new interior for an existing vehicle? If so how wide is your door? I'm just finishing my build and I had to assemble some cabinets inside as my door is only 23 1/2" wide.

HAF

Re-building a camper I had built a couple of years ago. I removed front panel to bring the cabinets in. However, it can be brought in un-assembled, then assembled within the camper body. With everything pre-drilled and dado'd, it went together perfectly without any special tools. The rails for the drawer slides are pre-drilled for wall and rail mounts. Its very precise and fit together easy.
I didn't use PVC. The material is HDPL.

Attachments

• IMG_9192.jpg
    IMG_9192.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 52

SquirrelZ

Beautiful work! Did you use a router to cut out the drawer and door fronts from the face plate? What brand of latch are you planning to use?

HAF

Yup-used a flatbed router. Using dado joints ensures squareness. Required a light tapping to fit together.
I am using Southco latches. Nice quality-got them off Amazon. Pay attention to the different thickness of latch.
Thanks for generous comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz