Building my own sliders and plans for LR

Lentsnh

Hey buddy, there are a bunch of guys in Auburn (college students) with rovers. I used to be in school down at AU but graduated last december and am either there or in Nashville. There are still several others that have some non-stock D2's. I know they would be more than happy to talk with you about building your own set of sliders or letting you look at theirs to go off of. Also, myself and another guy in AU run 3" RTE with fox 2.0 remote res. I just like fox shocks over the bilsteins but its just a preference. One of the guys has built a few sets of sliders that are on the trucks in town.

shoot me a pm and I'll get you in touch with them if they don't post up here first.

Also, I would just get some steel wheels from atlantic british or the wheels that justin at Lucky 8 sells. I am pretttyyyy sure that cragers don't make a wheel in the rover bolt pattern.

I've heard the War Eagle Cruisers mention your name, but never had a chance to talk to you.

I took measurements today, I just have to add the offset and the slight bend everyone is talking about. And if I see someone's it'll make everything that much easier.

Are you talking about Robert? If so, me and him are cool. He and another guy named Lee helped me with finding the best LR to get.

And I saw some on Lucky 8 but I found those Cragars, did research and found that they are very close to little off the lug pattern.

I'm just looking for cheap steelies to fit a 265/85/16 or 255/85/16 MT tire
Dang it! Another Auburn rover owner!

Just don't screw up your truck with different wheels and all of that junk. Get some stock 16in rover wheels at some 255/85 tires and you will be set with your 3in. lift. Don't bother with the equipe stuff either because either a HLCfab or RTE bumper will be of more use for the area you are in also. Another note... Don't screw up your truck with stupid bling.

Here is a pic of a bunch of us at SAE.
4086721269_5183b3864a_z.jpg

Only reason why new wheels maybe needed is cause of rubbing against the fenders. If they don't that badly, It'll be much simpler finding older 16" wheels.

The RTE slim bumper looks nice, but a not so nice price tag. I was going to possibly build me own front bumper too and base it off of the Equipe styling.

I hate bling anything with a passion. Always have. I cant stand factory chrome. If your talking about the streetlock wheels, thats the only thing I will allow because it does look somewhat functional.

Who all is in that group. Looks like some familiar Rovers.

WAR EAGLE to everyone! #1!!!

Lentsnh

i live in auburn on the weekends right now, but won't be of any use till may, when i'm living in auburn full time again. i'm moving to italy in january for a couple months. here's some photos of my sliders though. i sold a set to chris pellechia and he rocks 'em.

n1005090050_30569349_547440.jpg

n1005090050_30569351_6036531.jpg

22031_1258379572005_1005090050_30809533_3343582_n.jpg

32563_1323939574393_1107960116_30798419_6081975_n.jpg

also forgot to mention, the doors aren't straight. there is a gentle curve to them, so the sliders curve as well. i just kept matching them to the doors when i built both sets so they look good.

Would you mind showing me a few pointers? I want to tackle these with a 3 1/2" nerf at a 5 degree offset.

And you could look over my notes....

leeawalden

Adventurer
I've heard the War Eagle Cruisers mention your name, but never had a chance to talk to you.

I took measurements today, I just have to add the offset and the slight bend everyone is talking about. And if I see someone's it'll make everything that much easier.

Are you talking about Robert? If so, me and him are cool. He and another guy named Lee helped me with finding the best LR to get.

And I saw some on Lucky 8 but I found those Cragars, did research and found that they are very close to little off the lug pattern.

I'm just looking for cheap steelies to fit a 265/85/16 or 255/85/16 MT tire

Only reason why new wheels maybe needed is cause of rubbing against the fenders. If they don't that badly, It'll be much simpler finding older 16" wheels.

The RTE slim bumper looks nice, but a not so nice price tag. I was going to possibly build me own front bumper too and base it off of the Equipe styling.

I hate bling anything with a passion. Always have. I cant stand factory chrome. If your talking about the streetlock wheels, thats the only thing I will allow because it does look somewhat functional.

Who all is in that group. Looks like some familiar Rovers.

WAR EAGLE to everyone! #1!!!

Yeah, Rob. I met rob when I first started AU in 2005 and we have become pretty good friends. He knows plenty and can help you out with questions you might have as can michael, when his punk @ss is around!!!

On the wheels, man I would just pony up the extra dineros and not have to worry about drilling out the lugs or having an off balance wheel. I would also suggest waiting on wheels and tires until you do your lift as well. FWIW I run 275/70/18s on 3" rte and 34x10.50 swampers on AB steel rims.

That photo is 2008 SAE, left to right is me, mason brummal, tim whitaker (bammer), michael, and rob.

I have a set of sliders that I need to tweak a little bit to make work...had a friend of mine with a machine shop make me some but they aren't exactly right. If I ever find the time and a plasma cutter I'll be in business. I'm sure michael has all his measurements written down.

Paladin

Banned
Do I understand that you're going to build rockers that sit *under* the plastic sill cover? That'll really hurt your breakover angle. Best to make them like everybody else does. Shoot me your email address, and I can forward you some drawings for a set of sliders. At least get you started with some ideas on how to make them.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Only negative about the nerf, is it hampers your ability to do narrow trails and some will argue about the inherent additional torque from the longer lever arm, I don't really think it's a big issue unless thr added length is significant and you drop your truck onto it.

I like nerfs. I have, on numerous occasions, turned into a tree and pivoted the entire truck on the nerf. My current powder coat is shared on a few oak tree's in Virginia. This on trees the truck would have slid sideways into anyway. The nerfs offer an additional level of protection. That said, I hate getting in and out over them and get frequent passenger comments on that issue.

michaels

Explorer
if i had mine go to the frame, i'd have them go to the sill piece of the sliders as well. no measurements written down. i did it all as i went and just eyed it all. i don't know what this 5 degree offset you're talking, but i'll draw something up later to show the section of my design and how i'd do it. i'd do something a little like this if i did it over again, but my building days are on hiatus for a couple years. i got burnt out of adding **** to my truck.

Sliders%20prototype%20002.jpg

Lentsnh

if i had mine go to the frame, i'd have them go to the sill piece of the sliders as well. no measurements written down. i did it all as i went and just eyed it all. i don't know what this 5 degree offset you're talking, but i'll draw something up later to show the section of my design and how i'd do it. i'd do something a little like this if i did it over again, but my building days are on hiatus for a couple years. i got burnt out of adding **** to my truck.

Sliders%20prototype%20002.jpg

That's beautiful!!! I want to make mine like that. That's EXACTLY why I have pictured in my mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles