Building my expedition trailer with raised RTT

piecemeal

Hello!! I bought this trailer a number of years ago with the intention of eventually turning it into an expedition trailer. I've been slowly working on it and now I'm ready to fabricate some sort of deck or elevated lift platform for the tent. Anybody have any opinions on how to mount the RTT (either on a stable mount open cargo, stable mount on a lift cover, or open cargo with elevated platform)??

Here are some of the pics so far....

IMG_7927.JPG
as I got it with a few things cut off
IMG_7953.JPG
most of the old floor cut out
IMG_8098.JPG
rest of old floor cut out
IMG_8234.JPG
old floor support prepped with Eastwood rust encapsulator
IMG_8251.JPG
New floor being hoisted into place
IMG_9099.JPG
New drilled floor being fastened into place with Lord body panel adhesive and a bunch of bolts
IMG_9100.JPG
New floor in place
IMG_9154.JPG
Floor and sides all painted with rust encapsulator
IMG_9276.JPG
New tires 31.5 x 7.5 x 16 Power King Extra Traction II bias ply (pending installation)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The underside axle, springs, and recent sealant and bolts have all been coated with a later of the Eastwood rust encapsulator paint. The total weight on the trailer now as it sits is about 450-500 lbs (with tires mounted and spare). The trailer deck was replaced with 3/8" steel plate and the approximate floor dimensions are 44" x 72". The trailer has an old school lunette pintle hitch on it.

So, trying to decide how to mount my Hannibal RTT on this trailer. Any suggestions?? I was thinking something similar to the attached figure so I could use the trailer for hauling lumber or kayaks (maybe??).

dinoot.jpg

:):)

piecemeal

3/8 steel plate :eek:?! Are you planning on loading boulders into that thing?

LOL!! No, but the big sheet of metal sheet was free and I needed a new floor. I think the trailer was originally designed to haul utility poles (hence the rounded things on the front and rear gate). There used to be a hook and chain system for keeping them in place on those "cradles" that I cut off. It's definately overbuilt, but it won't need cross braces for sure. I'm sure it's got about 125 un-needed lbs of metal in the thickness, but it was free. I'd feel safe mounting anything directly to that instead of the sides if that makes sense if that helps to determine an appropriate design.

tatanka48

our local steel yard sells square tubing in graduated sizes with several of them sized to slip into one another

similar to the 2" receiver hitch system

you might consider creating STAKE POCKETS on the corners kinda like in the corners of a pick up bed

then fab your tower w/ the size that fits into the pockets ± ?

if the pockets are on the inside the tower can rest on that flimsey bed plate ;-) w/ nothing but a simple pin to keep them from jumping out

if the pockets are on the outside the tower frame will need to be bolted in place

T

piecemeal

Are those the same tires you use on your rig?

No. I'd like to because they're chunky, but they're bias ply and they only come in two sizes (smaller and this one). Going to get something in 33 x 10 x 16. Just not sure what. I Cruuently am running BFG AT 31.5 x 12.5 x 15.

piecemeal

our local steel yard sells square tubing in graduated sizes with several of them sized to slip into one another

similar to the 2" receiver hitch system

you might consider creating STAKE POCKETS on the corners kinda like in the corners of a pick up bed

then fab your tower w/ the size that fits into the pockets ± ?

if the pockets are on the inside the tower can rest on that flimsey bed plate ;-) w/ nothing but a simple pin to keep them from jumping out

if the pockets are on the outside the tower frame will need to be bolted in place

T

I didn't previously think about running them on the inside of the tub, but that's not a bad idea [since the deck is stout ;) ].

piecemeal

Hey, thats a measly 330 pounds. It will prove useful when somebody flies a rifledrone overhead.
A legitimate ’ExPo Guy needs to be prepared for anything.

:love::love:

Well, to be honest, it closely resembles how the PO of my rig rebuilt the tub of my tow rig (3/8" diamond plate steel on the floor and fender wells and 3/16" formed steel re-skinned body from the front cowl back to the rear). It's armored to the point that you could chuck a grenade under it and it MIGHT hop off the ground a bit, MIGHT.

52667653238__835A5044-EEA6-46D3-8E3C-7C7990FF9E44.JPG

IMG_0771.JPG

piecemeal

Updates....Progress pictures

pin support

bar steel welded in and then hollowed to the exact diameter of pin for more support

foot mounted to deck

frame in progress mounted to deck

Frame raised and pinned on deck

Messing around with idea of putting a wire mesh floor in (went a different direction)

Tent frame sub-structure

Wet gear basket and Tent frame in progress

Completed upper tent frame structure ready for mounting on elevation posts on trailer
__

Still need to mount spare tire and cut lunette and add receiver in the front for variable towing options.

piecemeal

tent mounted on frame

tent AND frame on trailer!!

Another (different angle)

Frame extended (still sorting out lifting mechanism and stabilizers)

piecemeal

Spare tire crank mounting

spare tire mounted

old pintle hitch chopped out

receiver with removable pintle hitch and new removable mounted foot

removable ball hitch receiver with extra potential trailer kickstand mounting point

piecemeal

coming home behind the sub

extended (tent closed with floor of tent at 6' 6")

tent open and up

open and up from the side

and one last one from the rear

jays0n

Adventurer
Looks great! I originally had my tent mounted that high but on a rack that was quite a bit less stout than yours and I had terrible issues with it offroad. It was too top heavy and spent a bit too much time on 1 wheel. I ended up rebuilding the rack with linear actuators so it could be lowered for travel and raised for sleeping.

piecemeal

Looks great! I originally had my tent mounted that high but on a rack that was quite a bit less stout than yours and I had terrible issues with it offroad. It was too top heavy and spent a bit too much time on 1 wheel. I ended up rebuilding the rack with linear actuators so it could be lowered for travel and raised for sleeping.
Thanks!! I patterned the design loosely off another dinoot trailer. The metal on the floor is 3/8" and those friggin tires are wicked heavy, so I HOPE I won't have issues with it being tippy. To get the tent to go up to it's full height, I use one of the scissor jacks and a bar that has a channel to raise it up. What kind of actuators are you using and what is the weight capacity they can push? I think the tent comes in somewhere at about 150 lbs as it's a heavy canvas Hannibal tent and the metal framing is another 50 lbs is my guess. Also, I quick checked your build thread and I have three of those solar panels like you have that I "acquired" for free. Where did you get the mounting hardware and slides for that? How is it holding up to being knocked around?

:)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles