Building, Driving and Adventuring the MTN4RNR

Samiman

Thanks max for the encouragement. It's nice to have something you don't see very often. It is still taking me everywhere I need it to go with 330,000 on the original motor. Thanks to the tree I get to start my rear bumper. Those mirrors would look great on andy's truck.

Adventurous

Explorer
F*ckin awesome! That looks like a really cool trip and I'm impressed how well you have been able to navigate your runner through those obstacles without issue.

I also think I have a crush on Vincent's rig. :drool:

Davidp14

I thoroughly enjoyed your build/adv posts. Thank you for your time and effort.

I look forward to hearing more about your platform. Would this be 3rd seat (sr5) compatible?

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
Thanks max for the encouragement. It's nice to have something you don't see very often. It is still taking me everywhere I need it to go with 330,000 on the original motor. Thanks to the tree I get to start my rear bumper. Those mirrors would look great on andy's truck.

Absolutely, I agree. Body damage is a bummer, but now you get to make it better! Can't wait to see it, man.

F*ckin awesome! That looks like a really cool trip and I'm impressed how well you have been able to navigate your runner through those obstacles without issue.

I also think I have a crush on Vincent's rig. :drool:

Thanks, it has been a learning curve, and my skid plate has caught the bad parts of that curve. Thankfully I have gotten very familiar with my 4Runner, and I rarely get into situations that are out of it's league. Although I am still, and always will be learning. That's the fun in it :wings:

Vincent's rig has been an inspiration for my build for a while now. It's an awesome adventure vehicle, to say the least.

I thoroughly enjoyed your build/adv posts. Thank you for your time and effort.

I look forward to hearing more about your platform. Would this be 3rd seat (sr5) compatible?

You are welcome, I enjoy posting my travels and adventures for others to read. As for the platform, I haven't looked at a SR5 with a third row before, so I can't say it will.

It's on.

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
A quick addition to the build

C8A7EFAF-E42F-4FBC-8458-90E5F99BFCE1_zpsicjx8xls.jpg

The sleeping situation in the 4Runner has been improving, but it needs some further refinement. Next steps will be having a foam pad made to fit for the passenger side of the back that will give me more support than the blow up backpacking pad that I have been using thus far. I also removed the back seat bottoms to gain some extra storage room, and head room when I am sleeping. 2 bolts, and I can throw it back in there when I know I will be having people in the truck. I have been tossing around the idea of removing the driver's side rear seat in it's entirety and building an 'add-on' to the platform that I can attach my water tank to, as well as some other storage. It's a tough configuration because I don't want to end up with most of the additional weight on the driver's side. Hmmmm... Choices... Oh well, stay tuned :elkgrin:​

jAndyMendo

Adventurer

You two are killing me. Would need to replace a mirror every other week if I had those beasts

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
4Runner Platform v1.5

Slowly testing the main platform across trips and different gear setups. I am working now on "v1.5" where I have taken out the driver's side rear seat and am extending the platform forward. Aluminum rails will be integrated, and Line-X will happen sometime later when I need to have something else done too (they have minimums and they're expensive). Here's a sneak peak...

E2D8538D-4B5A-4DC4-9A7F-806E8EFB2D96_zpsjc4xt7s6.jpg

spenny

Glamper
A) love your build, also on T4R so I see your shenanigans there and now on Instagram too - stalk much.

B) killer cargo management solution, I struggled with lo profile options and finally settled on the goose gear to simplify my life, but the preparation platform is brilliant!

C) do you get any visual imparement from the storage attic? I mean from looking in the rear view mirror. I guess that would depend on how much you load that area down?

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
A) love your build, also on T4R so I see your shenanigans there and now on Instagram too - stalk much.

B) killer cargo management solution, I struggled with lo profile options and finally settled on the goose gear to simplify my life, but the preparation platform is brilliant!

C) do you get any visual imparement from the storage attic? I mean from looking in the rear view mirror. I guess that would depend on how much you load that area down?

A] I'm ok with stalkers, just don't steal my stuff

B] Thank you! I spend a lot of time thinking and thinking and THINKING about how it would all come together, and I am very happy with the outcome. Goose Gear (or the equivalent) is likely in my future at some point, but I started off with the right base.

C] Yes, but it doesn't fully block anything. Just a couple of inches of the rear window, which I can live with. And yes, the more you load, the lower it goes. So spacing things out in the attic is important.

rickashay

Explorer
A] I'm ok with stalkers, just don't steal my stuff

B] Thank you! I spend a lot of time thinking and thinking and THINKING about how it would all come together, and I am very happy with the outcome. Goose Gear (or the equivalent) is likely in my future at some point, but I started off with the right base.

C] Yes, but it doesn't fully block anything. Just a couple of inches of the rear window, which I can live with. And yes, the more you load, the lower it goes. So spacing things out in the attic is important.

Where did you say you got the cargo attic from? I'd like to get something similar.

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
Weekend Updates

With an upcoming trip to Death Valley on the horizon, I had a few big items to knock out this weekend.

I received my new Exped SynMat Mega 12M last week, and I can say that I am looking forward to sleeping on this very much. It fits perfectly in the cargo area being 22" wide and just over 6' long. And at almost 5" thick, it's seriously comfortable. This weekend and the 4 nights we'll be out there will be a great way to test it out.
FF91B70A-8B2D-467A-AED3-243C8B80A7FE_zpsqn59chwe.jpg

I have been running my Yaesu FT-60R's for about 8 months now, and I have really enjoyed using them; they have been a solid investment for communication. They do have some shortcomings however. Lack of power, battery restrictions, and it takes up a cup holder. I decided to take the next step and upgrade to a dual bander mobile unit. After a lot of research, I purchased a Kenwood TM-V71A and installed it this weekend. I tested it last night, and the range is awesome. Hitting repeaters 30+ miles away, awesome! I will have a more in depth install with photos coming later after this week.
B286B5A6-ED7C-4A15-9CA5-A138AD320C85_zpsslsld3z1.jpg

More to come....

MobTuff

Observer
Nice to see another amateur radio operator off-roading! Started following your Instagram. Look forward to more of your build thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne