Building an upper bunk/cot in pop-up truck camper

When I did my truck camper build from an ATC Cougar shell, I made it so it slept my wife and I and our two kids. Since then the kids grew, a lot. They no longer slept comfortably in the L-shaped sleeping area I created with the bench seats. So I took on the project of building an upper bunk/cot.

The Duck Canvas cot material spans between two oak boards. One board will be screwed to the side wall of the camper. There is an aluminum beam along the camper wall behind the paneling, you can see it when you remove all the screws at the top of the panel. Got to be sure to hit that beam with the screws...
i-sjTpZ7N-X2.jpg

The other board spans between the ledge on the top of the door and the edge of the upper bed rail. Here's the top of the door ledge part. Three L- brackets with a spring pin so the board stays put....
i-TpMRVnD-X2.jpg

At the other end of this redwood board I made a hook (in primer in photo)...
i-QHscxL2-X2.jpg

Finished with a slide latch at the bottom to keep the board from rising up...
i-9MNtnZR-X2.jpg

The hook engages with a bracket screwed to the existing bed rail...
i-tGdJwFk-X2.jpg

Here it is in the stowed position...
i-J2VSj33-X2.jpg

And deployed...
i-MjtbBHD-X2.jpg

Note the square aluminum brace under it. That is necessary to keep the outer board from bowing in when someone is in the cot. There is a bracket on the inside of the board that holds the aluminum brace in place...
i-Dw4D5dd-X2.jpg

And another down at the corner below (the aluminum brace has holes it in because it was re-purposed from another project)...
i-NT33ZZS-X2.jpg

Perfect for a kid that weighs up to about 120lbs. I took a nap in it and I weigh 170lbs no problem, but that put a lot of pressure on the outer side wall of the camper, so not something I want to do regularly. My kid loves it, and it cradles her so she won't roll out like she did in the bench seats below. So now my rig sleep 4 of us comfortably again with one kid in the upper bunk/cot and one down below on the bench seat. No need to buy that new Airstream:)

Last edited:

trasko

Adventurer
I like your ingenuity! I can't say I'm super comfortable with the strength of those attachments but it also looks like you know what you're doing. And also you tested it yourself first so: thumbs up.

highwest

Similar setups in a Flippac were rated to 160lbs (I think) and were made of metal, but I’m not sure if the limiting factor was the metal or the fabric or the attachment points. With that additional leg, yours looks more robust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier