Building an old trailer into an Off-road/RTT trailer *Pics*

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
Well more like THINKING about it......I've got this old trailer that I use to haul around my ATV but was looking at it and thought "hmmmm that could be an offroad trailer that could hold my ARB tent..." Basically I was thinking of building a box out of square steel tubing and adding a rack to mount my tent, but I want the tent to lift up so I'm thinking about using electric lifts or some other lift to get it up high enough that it's not a PITA to get in and out of, what do you guys think? Also what springs are people using?

*I've removed the rear basket on the end already*

31403739441_15e5cbe994_b.jpg

31147979780_90529f1959_b.jpg

Looks like I could easily do an spring over axle to get some lift but I'm not sure on the bolt pattern of the wheels, I'd probably like to upgrade to 6-lug hubs if possible but then I'm probably looking at a new axle....

31403737411_3b3c8b1db2_b.jpg

Pic of current set up:

Death Valley Trip 2016 by Jim Bob Barnett, on Flickr

Martyinco

Adventurer
Nice starting point for your trailer, also very nice Toyota, I'm also a Taco owner. If you want to upgrade to 6 lug to match the Toyota I would just look at doing a whole new axle setup, you can get them fairly cheap.

As you said you can just do a simple box out of square tubing and than build a rack on top of that for your RTT. For my winter upgrades to my trailer I am doing Linear Actuators to lift my RTT up. Last summer sucked having to do it manually, NEVER again.

krick3tt

Adventurer
If you use this platform, put the axle below the springs for additional clearance for the trailer portion.

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
That looks like a good foundation for an off road trailer. It appears to be similar in size and shape to what I started with and am "almost" finished.

Good luck with your build.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/148123-PCO6-s-Trailer-Build

Sweet I'll def be checking that out!

Nice starting point for your trailer, also very nice Toyota, I'm also a Taco owner. If you want to upgrade to 6 lug to match the Toyota I would just look at doing a whole new axle setup, you can get them fairly cheap.

As you said you can just do a simple box out of square tubing and than build a rack on top of that for your RTT. For my winter upgrades to my trailer I am doing Linear Actuators to lift my RTT up. Last summer sucked having to do it manually, NEVER again.

Yea man I saw your thread on TW it's pretty much exactly what I wanna build, I already planned out which lift actuators I want because I was gonna build a bed rack that integrated them but I'm gonna order them and put them in the trailer. My current plan is to use square tubing to build the box and then use plastic or sheet metal for the sides, trying to decide if I want it to be an enclosed box with a door or not.

If you use this platform, put the axle below the springs for additional clearance for the trailer portion.

Yup I was already planning on doing that!

btompkins0112

I am planning pretty much the same idea, but with one of those cheap ***** mini trailers from Harbor Freight (not a big deal because it won't be used on any serious offroad trails, just mostly dirt and light trails). Also, to keep the total price down I am just going to build a folding platform that facilitates the use of a standard tent that I already own. I plan to document this in my own thread. Good luck!

btompkins0112

That looks like a good foundation for an off road trailer. It appears to be similar in size and shape to what I started with and am "almost" finished.

Good luck with your build.

Wow.....damn nice work on this. Kinda has me embarrassed to post my project! :drool:

Martyinco

Adventurer
My current plan is to use square tubing to build the box and then use plastic or sheet metal for the sides, trying to decide if I want it to be an enclosed box with a door or not.
Using HDPE for the sides of my trailer was the smartest thing I did, the weight savings are amazing!

Red1

HERO
I am planning pretty much the same idea,
but with one of those cheap ***** mini trailers from Harbor Freight
( not a big deal because it won't be used on any serious off road trails, just mostly dirt and light trails).

Also, to keep the total price down I am just going to build a folding platform
that facilitates the use of a standard tent that I already own .

I plan to document this in my own thread .

Good luck !

rnArmy

Adventurer
I am planning pretty much the same idea, but with one of those cheap ***** mini trailers from Harbor Freight (not a big deal because it won't be used on any serious offroad trails, just mostly dirt and light trails). Also, to keep the total price down I am just going to build a folding platform that facilitates the use of a standard tent that I already own. I plan to document this in my own thread. Good luck!

You can do some pretty amazing things with those cheap ***** mini trailers from Harbor Freight. A little frame reinforcing, get rid of the stiff slipper springs and get some decent double-eye springs, better axle, and all that's left is deciding on a tub. I've put thousands of miles on mine (a lot of it up in NW Canada and Alaska). The pictures are from the Dempster Highway in Canada (and one glamor shot in MT on a separate trip).

Yukon Dempster Eagle Pass Copy.2.JPGYukon Dempster.1.JPGYukon Keith and Jeep.1.jpgHardtop.26.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles