Building an 88 4runner for overland!

bluerunner

Adventurer
Thanks Goodtimes!

Thats something to really keep in mind!

Hey Desert dude thats a good looking FJ and you do some really clean building, those homes look great!

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
GT - I am away from home on tne road will not forget to post the photos when I return

BR - thanks for the kind words - I should do a complete write up on the FJ ( ten years in the making) and post in the cruiser section - I hope to have time this winter to do just that

Scott Brady

Founder
BlueRunner,

I am curious of your reasoning behind the SAS for an overland solution. I feel that leaving the drivetrain as stock as possible is key to reliability.

The comment is not meant to discourage you, but just start some discussion. SAS has great advantage on extreme terrain, that is for sure.

bluerunner

Adventurer
Scott,

My IFS is pretty trashed as it is right now, and I feel like the SAS would be a reliable solution. I don't want to trash my trucks on extreme trails anymore, but I would like to be able to do the tougher trails if I want. And the solid axle just seems alot more dependable to me.

I don't feel that converting to a solid axle would decrease my reliablity.

Hope you guys had a great weekend!!! :shakin:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Hi Bluerunner - welcome to the forum.

Definitely some good input here so far. Looks like you already have quite a lot invested in improvements for the 4runner. The SAS would definitely add to the strength and fun-factor of the truck. The ride and efficiency could improve or suffer depending on a lot of variables. I have thought about a SAS for my own truck, but decided against it for the time being. I put some of my thoughts on the subject here (about half way down the page). Since writing that article, I am 99% sure I won't ever do it with my current truck.

Scott mentioned testing modifications prior to a trip (a rule that I am very much guilty of violating quite often :) )...

In a similar way, I would suggest testing your mode of "living" while out on a trip. Do a "test trip" or two. Robbie is correct - people can tend to go overkill and bring everything under the sun. If you have ever been a backpacker, you can more easily relate to this. My wife and I spent 4 months on the Baja peninsula living out of our Tacoma. We could stay "out there" in the boonies for up to two weeks at a time with water and fuel being the limitation in most cases. If you think about how a backpacker can get by for weeks/months with only a backpack and some occassional stops in towns to resupply consumables, the thought of having a small truck with a 6' camper bed seems luxurious. Since that trip, I have done lots more expedition trips and weekend trips, and have refined the ammenities and capability of the truck a bit. But the first "test runs" will teach you a lot about what you keep, what you get rid of, and what you need to add. Nowadays I have a fridge and an elec. shower, and other stuff... but I know where I started out, and what basics I really need (the core stuff) and that has allowed me to evaluate the "fancy" stuff I have added in a much more effective way - I think anyway.

bluerunner

Adventurer
Baja,

Thanks for the input and the welcome I know that I am going to sacrifice some of the comforts by pulling the IFS, but I guess I didn't buy a truck to have it ride like a car and with the right combo. of springs and shocks I am sure I can achieve a decent ride quality and like you said enjoy the "fun factor".

I also like the way you worded "core stuff", that's what i'm looking for, the basic gear, I like to live light and travel light, I don't like a lot of crap in my pockets and I sure don't want it in my truck!

I look forward to meeting you guys! :wavey:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
bluerunner said:
Baja,

... I like to live light and travel light, I don't like a lot of crap in my pockets and I sure don't want it in my truck!"

I like that :D

"Core stuff"

1. Food. No fridge or ice required. Dry food, rehydrated food, and canned food. Local food as opportunity presents itself.
  2. Water. Water for drinking, water for washing. Local water as opportunity presents itself.
  3. Clothes. versatile layers - wear 'em 'till they start to get ripe, then wash em. A good pair of "all-around" shoes. Try to remain "presentable" and respectable in the company of others.
  4. Shelter. Whatever works for you.
  5. Sleeping gear. Whatever works for you.
  6. A handy way to start a fire. Again, whatever works for you.
  7. Cooking gear. A simple backpack stove and mess kit works.
  8. Toiletries. TP, and baggies to carry it away in (bury it if u must - I prefer to carry it until I get to a town where I can dispose of it - that way when it ends up in the boonies, it's in the dump and not the pristine places.) Toothpaste & toothbrush. Biodegradeable soap - camp soap or Bonner's that you can wash your hair with kills two birds with one stone.
  9. Bathing - stream, lake, ocean works. Or even a wet rag and some warm water. Shower is awesome though - solar shower bag works great - can be filled with cold water mixed w/some boiled hot water on days with no sun.
  10. First aid kit and meds if req'd
  11. The book bag: Maps/guides, literature, compass. Something to write your thoughts and records with/on.
  12. Camera. It's pretty easy to obtain one these days and a shame not to take photos of your adventure. Your memories will come alive with key photos.
  13. Money. It always seems to help.
  14. Be legal. It always seems to help. Passport, permits, visas, whatever is req'd.
  15. A great attitude and a great sense of humor. Thoughts like "it doesn't get any better than this - damn, am I lucky!" and "it could always be a lot worse" are good things to keep in mind. You know... don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things... or something like that :)
OK, that is pretty "core". What did I forget? Don't add too much - remember, we have GVWR to deal with here!

bluerunner

Adventurer
You know... don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things... or something like that :)

Very nice and very basic, Baja I actually found your site quite sometime ago while searching for "Toyota expedition vehicles" and then kept searching and sometime later found Scott's site. You guys have some great trucks and great stories to go along with them and the photo's from your adventure usually end up being my wallpaper at home and at work...thanks for sharing your adventures with us!

What are your thoughts on getting rid of the rear seats? Versus leaving the seats in and turning the rear into a giant cubby box, I like to leave the sides of the can bac up... so I like the way you made your box, I would like drawers to lock and slide out or even scotts idea with the pelican cases. :lurk:

Attachments

• 3992.jpg
    3992.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 3994.jpg
    3994.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 23

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
bluerunner said:
...thanks for sharing your adventures with us!

You're welcome! And thanks for enjoying the websites - that makes it very worthwhile when we get to see others getting involved.

bluerunner said:
What are your thoughts on getting rid of the rear seats? Versus leaving the seats in and turning the rear into a giant cubby box, I like to leave the sides of the can bac up... so I like the way you made your box, I would like drawers to lock and slide out or even scotts idea with the pelican cases. :lurk:

Unless you plan to have someone sitting in those seats on a regular basis, I say take 'em out. They don't serve much of any other purpose very well, and add a lot to the GVW, not to mention taking up valuable space. You could always come up with some kind of a way to bolt them back in if you decide to do a trip with extra passengers (if that is a concern).

bluerunner

Adventurer
Thanks!

That is a very good point, I don't plan to carry more than one person and the space could be used for holding more gear as one large compartment or I can split it into two sections like your trucks... instead of seats just in case someone else wants to ride along.

I was looking at your plans on how you removed the seats, built the box and added the fridge... now you got me thinking! now I need to go stare at my truck! :smilies27

Scott Brady

Founder
Great point on the rear seat removal. Removing the rear seat from my Tacoma saved me over 50 lbs., though it is a wash with the fridge.

It sounds like you have a great plan with the SAS. It will certainly make the vehicle more capable, and IMO if done correctly, it can be even more durable and reliable. I suppose my concerns with drive-train and engine modifications have been borne out of many years of field repairs on other peoples trucks. They do lots of mods, right before a trip, and then everything comes undone...at the furthest point from civilization :smileeek:

I am really excited to watch the progression of your 4Runner, as that is one of my ALL TIME favorite vehicles.

Here the 1989 that I owned for several years:
894runner_jpg.jpg

Many GREAT memories with that truck...

bluerunner

Adventurer
I remember seeing that photo posted sometime ago, its cool to see what people had starting out, thanks for that teary trip down memory lane!

Too bad you dont have it anymore because it would be cool to have seen what it would look like today!

:smilies27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz