Building a trailer using a 4x6 frame with wooden insert

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Im going to try and build a 4x6 trailer like the buildup on wildyoats with the trailer behind the landcruiser.

instead of diamondplatting, i plan to use a good wood and treat it and reinforce the inner corners. main purpose will be for storage and to put a yak or thule rack on top for a tent to position itself on.

I plan to use 33s and same exact wheels I have on m 01 4runner.

I was also wondering what I would be looking at for a straight axle and hubs 6x5.5 and the metal and wood all together as money is somewhat tight as Im finishing up my 4runner for the 4wd conversion.

I probablly wont start the project till january anyways.

I plan to make a triangular tongue to fit 4-9 gas/water cans for the trip I plan to take springbreak out in canyonlands park.

do give me your thoughts :)

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Hey bro I found a AL company that would make whatever you want. I was going to get a electric braked toyo pattern matched 4runner width. But most trailer places should be able to accommodate you.

Aaron

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
xcmountain80 said:
Hey bro I found a AL company that would make whatever you want. I was going to get a electric braked toyo pattern matched 4runner width. But most trailer places should be able to accommodate you.

Aaron

this place called JAX, is huge and has al that stuff, so I may be good to go.
I dont wanna go super wide but i may go longer, if space will be an issue later

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Another thing I read on another site was you could always use a junk axle for your year make and model. That way you would have spares (axle shaft, 3rd mem, etc.)

Aaron

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
xcmountain80 said:
Another thing I read on another site was you could always use a junk axle for your year make and model. That way you would have spares (axle shaft, 3rd mem, etc.)

Aaron

not a bad Idea I could go pick up a 3rd gen axle and cut off the spring mounts and put on leaf spring perches.

I want to have a spare for the truck and trailer though, so that might take up room with the diff underneath the treailer

i may go 4x7, still not sure, i will most likely use my truck back area as a sleeping platform, get a rack for the trailer and put stuff inside and on top of it, along with the rack on top of my truck, and storage drawers inside the platform.

that should be plenty of storage hopefully.

dlbrunner

Adventurer
Careful using the stock axle with the third still in place.

I am looking into that possibility with my trailer build. the preliminary research points toward not being able to register a "new custom build trailer" with a 3rd in place.

I initially thought it would be good to have a stock axle so I would have a spare third and set of axle shafts and brake parts, but I am making a trailer and can throw that stuff in if I really need it. Trailer axles can be had with the same blot pattern as the tow rig, so interchangeable spare tires won't be an issue. Also when you run a regular trailer acxe, you get more clearance under the trailer than the tow rig (no pumpkin hanging down).

Since I am a toal rookie when towing a trailer on dirt roads, I figure I'll need all the help I can get with clearance....

Keep an eye on my thread:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7849

I have a lot of stuff going on now so it won't be till november that I can get focused on the trailer.

I'll be putting up all the hoops I have to jump through to get mine on the road. Of course the laws will vary by state and mine will be applicable to AZ. But a lot of states like AZ follow California's lead on motor vehicle stuff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles