Building a solar-powered off-road truck (based on a 712M Pinzgauer)

billiebob

STOKED !! ABSOLUTELY STOKED !!!

There have been many electric conversions over the years, many based on VW Porsche products since the layout is ideal for a conversion. The electric motor bolts onto the transaxle, there never was a rad or cooling system to worry about, and the batteries just drop into the spot the gas tank was.

Anything can be converted but the Pingauzer must be one of the best, starting with an incredibly capable vehicle that is pretty tough and capable. If gasoline disappears, I really hope this market for e-power conversions explodes. I'd love a electric TJ.

billiebob

Given the range, I am sure they will only drive 2-4 hours a day max. Followed by a day or two charging/camping.
100 years ago that described every fossil fuelled vehicle built. 5mpg and 10 gas stations per state with,.... gravity fed "pumps"

We still have one of those gravity pumps in operation a half hour from home..

DSC_0014.jpeg

Rbertalotto

Explorer
We are looking to maximise autonomy, while minimising emissions. Which entails not just new technology, but also a new approach to travel. More time + more freedom = more adventure?

It's called "hiking"......About the same range with much less energy....;)

I'm a total nut about solar energy.....10.5Kw on my house, 420w on my camping trailer, 120W on my overland trailer, 20w on the Pelican case on the back of my motorcycle! But moving multi ton vehicles anywhere near approaching usable distance without grid tie to charge is simply not feasible with today's technology. But anyways....Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz