Building a Plywood Deck Plate in the Back of your JKU

Kmrtnsn

Explorer

SBSYNCRO

Thank you for the inspiration! Here’s my take on a flat JKU. Except I put a 100ah battery, charger and fuse block in mine. Along with tool, table and chair storage. You never know when you might need to tailgate!

Beautiful. Love the LifePO battery setup. How on earth did you route those cables to the engine? Did you use an isolator or an ACR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kennedyma

I did not maintain any storage under the bottom sheet of plywood. Mostly because I don’t have any storage under there. I have the factory sub in the floor.

I do plan to build something to go over the seat. The main reason I changed up the design was so I could sleep in the Jeep.

The cables are routed though the firewall on the upper passenger side. They go directly from the battery to a 40amp breaker and then directly into the DC to DC charger. The LiFePO4 house battery is completely isolated from the Jeep’s electrical.

I will post a full write up once it’s completed. I have a few more circuits to wire up, along with a switch plate for the tailgate.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Well guys, inspired by your ideas and some others I cribbed a bit here and there and came up with this. Since I suck at making recessed doors I bought three marine hatches. All of my recovery Gear will be below the floor, out of the way and out of sight. I retained access to the factory storage area.
View attachment 652278
What is that dome lite you have on your hatch glass?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
What is that dome lite you have on your hatch glass?

Just a simple and cheap red/white light. I think I actually borrowed the idea from someone here. It’s mounted to the wiper motor cover and I ran a lead to a constant power wire by the tail light. Let me find you a link.

Last edited:

rustypayne

I did not maintain any storage under the bottom sheet of plywood. Mostly because I don’t have any storage under there. I have the factory sub in the floor.

I do plan to build something to go over the seat. The main reason I changed up the design was so I could sleep in the Jeep.

The cables are routed though the firewall on the upper passenger side. They go directly from the battery to a 40amp breaker and then directly into the DC to DC charger. The LiFePO4 house battery is completely isolated from the Jeep’s electrical.

I will post a full write up once it’s completed. I have a few more circuits to wire up, along with a switch plate for the tailgate.

Crap, I love how you hid your electrical down under, guess it's time to rebuild my kitchen for the 3rd time :) LOL

Looking forward to seeing your write up.

BooseOverland

How much of a spacer (if any) are you guys putting under the floor to make it sit level? It would appear that the back would be a tad lower than the front

86scotty

Cynic
Some very nice home brew solutions here. Mine isn't as pretty but we found it very functional. The deep storage was built to fit a lot of our gear specifically that we wanted to store specifically, standing up where we could get to it easily.

Placeholder for pics I'll be adding.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
How much of a spacer (if any) are you guys putting under the floor to make it sit level? It would appear that the back would be a tad lower than the front

I’m at about 1.5” Above the steel floor. That height allows for nearly square sides except where I trimmed around the existing plastic corner panels, which I retained. Had I removed them my floor plate would have been rectangular,

wandererr

Adventurer
Amazing execution on all accounts. This gave me some ideas now as to how to built out my back and have an interconnecting piece for when I setup 60 for my daughter to sleep on.

wandererr

Adventurer
I'm going a slightly different route - I need it to be as low as possible so I'm going to fit it between the plastic pieces. This is the first 'fit'. I made it a hair wider so that I can then trim to fit as I adjust it.

Attachments

• 20210527_155837.jpg
    20210527_155837.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 73

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles