Building a Micro-Split AC System

Great project
I am about to buy Dirna Integral Power II DC air conditioner for my camper roof. Uses max 65a@12v. Plan 270-350Ah/day solar power. In my experience standard RV 110v AC systems are cheap junk. Might as well do it your way.
 
Last edited:

DCH109

Adventurer
While I thought you were a madman, now I am wondering.
After looking at small systems out there most are $$$, mounted to the roof (not ideal for clearance) or not great quality.

I happen to have a spare unit I bought and never used, I may have to copy you here as this would be perfect for my Camper build.
 

luthj

Engineer In Residence
While I thought you were a madman, now I am wondering.
After looking at small systems out there most are $$$, mounted to the roof (not ideal for clearance) or not great quality.

I happen to have a spare unit I bought and never used, I may have to copy you here as this would be perfect for my Camper build.
If you have the space, one of these slightly larger 8kBTU units would be an easier donor. Its already partially split, with separate evap and condenser fans/motors.


1595348135951.png
 

DCH109

Adventurer
If you have the space, one of these slightly larger 8kBTU units would be an easier donor. Its already partially split, with separate evap and condenser fans/motors.


View attachment 600033

Oh I will have the space as I am building this from scratch and will incorporate AC into it. It is hot on the east coast in the summer. Currently 98* feels like 105*.
I will check it out thanks for the link!
 
If you have the space, one of these slightly larger 8kBTU units would be an easier donor. Its already partially split, with separate evap and condenser fans/motors.


View attachment 600033
Oh I like that. It is a new product and delivery has been sketchy. But they are managing to get them shipped out. The inverter tech is a big power saver. Looks like most of the reviews are about how difficult installation is and getting window to seal, not a problem if splitting the unit. Wished I had seen this yesterday. I had to buy another window AC for our temporary housing situation.
 

RVflyfish

Observer
Man, what a cool project. Again no pun intended. I’m constantly amazed at the knowledge, skills and ingenuity on this forum. Way to go Luthj!
 

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I just got the electrical connectors, so I am ready to finish up the wiring and paint everything. After that I just need to bolt everything in and run a bunch of wire and copper lines. I anticipate the copper lines may be the hardest part. I could go with flex lines, but they area pricey, so I want to avoid if possible.
 

Recommended books for Overlanding

Dreaming of Jupiter
by Ted Simon
From $18.09
Long Way Down: An Epic Journey by Motorcycle from Scotlan...
by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman
From $1.65
Motorcycle Messengers 2: Tales from the Road by Writers w...
by Jeremy Kroeker, Ted Simon, Lois Pryce, Billy Ward,...
From $9.99

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Getting pretty close. Still waiting on some small ID pipe insulation.

I opted to hit all the copper lines with some cold galvanizing spray. Its 70% zinc, and should extend their life under a vehicle. I glued a cap over the unused motor end/bearing. I also glued a seal to the output side of the condenser fan. The motor still has a drain hole at the bottom, but having these two seals should reduce the risk of crap getting washed into the bearings. The starter cap is mounted and the harness complete. Since the fan condenser fan only needs one speed (high), and will always run with the compressor, I just ran three wires and a waterproof connector for easy removal.






I got the fittings soldered onto the evap lines. They clamp to tabs on the pan, and I put rubber for chafe and heat transfer resistance.



Wiring is done on the inside unit as well I used 2 of the same waterproof 3 wire connectors here. The small black box is the 6uF cap for the evap fan.




Got the evap unit mostly together. Should get it completed tomorrow. I also set the rivnuts for the interior/exterior mountings, and got the shelf ready to go in.

IMG_20200727_165553921 by J Luth, on Flickr


Major tasks left are running the refrigerant lines, and the power wires. Followed by an evac and charge. Well, a leak test first with vacuum to make sure I didn't screw it up too bad.
 

tanuki.himself

Active member
i'd be interested to know what each half of the finsihed thing weighs when filled - i know the compressor is a big chunk of the weight...
 

luthj

Engineer In Residence

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The outdoor unit is 33.5lbs.

IMG_20200730_091044195

IMG_20200730_093430890

Since the unit is right behind the hitch receiver, I need to make sure my inserts aren't too long, and will crush the condenser. I could weld a cap on the receiver tube as well, and I may do that when I drop it for a coat of paint later on.

Working on the lines. Going a bit better than I expected. I should have swapped the high/low line position on the evap. Not a big deal, but the lines needed to cross over on the vertical run.

IMG_20200730_110459998

IMG_20200730_104311004_HDR
 

luthj

Engineer In Residence
This is the coolest thing happening on expo portal right now..
Very Punny indeed.

Thinking about the semi-split window unit that was posted previously. Using that unit, I could have knocked this project out in a quarter the time. Solder some lines, splice some wires, make some brackets, etc. Of course its a bit too big for my mounting locations, but not a bad idea for others to consider.
 
Top