Building a fully enclosed Overland trailer to be towed by a Jeep

OldGreen

More progress!! The 2 roof panels are also ready to be fitted but I have to build the curbside wall first. Waiting on a foam order...
20210419_135858.jpg

billiebob

I might have missed it but what is the panel construction, what glues are used, how are the corners bonded?

OldGreen

Curbside all cut out and ready to install. The hatch, window, and door aren't mounted. They make the wall heavier than it needs to be to put in place.
IMG_20210426_164852.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've noticed a few different trailers out there without propane. I think it's starting to get easier to do as solar becomes more efficient and less expensive. There's the upfront battery investment, but an efficient electric cooktop could work. Plus, depending on where one's at, there's the ability for campfire cooking when real meat's involved.
I added a 120v induction hot plate single burner to my power outage kit last yr. My 2700sqft house with two kids doing DL and the wife doing home office duel monitors, multiple house fans, air purifiers ie wild fire smoke etc. Any way that 120v single hot plate induction cook top at 1800 watts which is like setting 7 of 10 boils water in like 4 minutes. Drop it to 1300-1400 watts and its a typical burger on the pan cook job. No open flames, super easy clean up just wipe off the glass etc. It was $90!! Worked awesome!!!

My house kitchen is all Electric modern induction cook top but 240v stuff. So the 120v hot plate is used on the 3500watt generator easily while powering several refrigerators, and other house basics.

Going induction cook top on modern lithium power capacity and sizable solar would make total sense regarding fuel choice and extending your away time.

high-and-dry

Going induction cook top on modern lithium power capacity and sizable solar would make total sense regarding fuel choice and extending your away time.
look up the everlanders on youtube, they have no propane and have heat, ac, hot water and induction cooking all on battery and solar. Now they also have the roof completely covered with panels and pneumatic actuators that deploy another 4 panels iirc when they are parked.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
This is outstanding!

I particularly liked how you bevel the base and wall panel edges which gives greater bonding surfaces, that was very neat!

With the bevelled panel edges, external aluminium angle and internal 80/20 aluminium extrusions, this is an immensely solid, lightweight fabrication!

Your panel construction merits a thread of its own, as they look superb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior