Building a flat floor in my JK, HDPE, Richlite, Marine Plywood, Aluminum.......

DesertJK

Adventurer
Hello all,

I have had the rear seats out of my JKUR for 2 years now. I can't see ever putting them back in and have been wanting to finish the interior.
I was originally thinking aluminum sheet. Since I am an aircraft mechanic, aluminum is my go to material. But there are way too many disadvantages to an aluminum floor, noise being the biggest, denting and scratching being another.

I started looking at Richlite http://www.richlite.com/what-is-richlite/
It is really great stuff. Strong enough to build skate parks out of, self healing, re-surfacable, and pretty good strength to weight ratio.
The negative is I would have to drive 6 hours to Tacoma with my trailer to buy it, and it will cost me at least $300.00 for what I need.

Marine plywood. I am not really versed in plywood. I could use some help here. I know strength to weight is pretty decent, it's quiet, it would be easy to work with. I have no idea what to look for in plywood for this purpose. If I were to do plywood, I think I would finish it in a thick epoxy coating over nice natural wood grain, like a vintage boat.
Or, I would consider using bed liner material over it, maybe a light or medium gray to go with the silver Jeep.
I bedlinered a stock on an old .22 rifle that someone had previously cut and glued it into a target style stock. It made it look and feel like a Houge Overmolded stock. Bedliner on wood can work and last.

This morning I started thinking HDPE. It is tough as hell. Heavyish, but for sound absorbing, impact resistance, cut resistance, and cost, it is not too bad.
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=21339&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1526&top_cat=181
Above is an example of cost and thicknesses.

My plan is to make a flat floor that ends just behind the seats in the rear most position. Under what was the rear foot well, I will make a semi secure (somewhat hidden too) storage area. I will put another cargo net behind the seats, and I have one that divides what was the rear seat area from the back. The idea is that my dogs will have a safe soft cage to keep them in the middle of the Jeep. I will put a snap on pad on the lid of the storage area for their comfort. I could leave a little leg room and use the area for human passengers in a pinch too.

I would like to be able to sleep in the back if needed. I have slept in the Jeep before, with the rear seats folded down. It was tolerable. It was also 20 degrees out, insulation would have made it nicer, that's in the plans somewhere too.

I have never done a build thread. Hopefully I will remember to document to project as I go and record the results in this thread. I have done so many similar project with some very expensive materials on Medevac Heli's, but I was never allowed to take personal pictures of any of it. The helicopter industry is very protective of their trade secrets.

After the floor is done, hopefully before we take off to see the eclipse, I want to get rid of my rear hard top windows and replace them with aluminum hatches. I have some sets of Airbus Helicopter engine bay latches that will be used to hold them closed. I am also looking at armoring the top of the hard top with sheet aluminum. I often carry a canoe or inflatable up there. The Yakima bars are never on when I need them. They also put any weight on 4 points. If I just put aluminum "skids" up there, and installed some tiedown anchors, I think it would work better than the Yakima bars. I do not like big metal roof racks. I had typical safari style one on my Disco. It looked cool, carried anything, had lights on it. I looked like king safari ******** driving around with it. When I sold the Rover, it made more financial sense to sell off some of the cool parts first. The rack sold in 10 minutes. After taking it off, the Rover handled so much better, was quieter, and probably got better mileage. I swore I wouldn't buy another huge steel rack again.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Can I vote twice for Aluminum?

I will look forward to seeing the results of your choice.
I am way biased, and you had me at aluminum! Since I've done this.
FWIW: here are some pictures of what I did. This worked out really awesome for our specific use.
kept all the gear stowed below, and strong enough for the dog and I to sleep on.
the front left panel was built so it could be quickly removed in case we needed a third seat.
Hope it is helpful, with your choices.

Picture 1). 10ga aluminum with 32oz synthetic jute glued to indoor/outdoor carpet kept it quiet, and comfortable
Picture 2). The aluminum floor itself (carpet just pulls out for easy cleaning)
Picture 3). Super-Mutt v2.0 approved

Attachments

• Hard-Top-rear-access.jpg
    Hard-Top-rear-access.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Floor-installed.jpg
    Floor-installed.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 122
  • Super-Mutt-says-yes.jpg
    Super-Mutt-says-yes.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 115

autarkus

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing. A few considerations, depending on how you plan to go.

The floor is not flat. You'll need to decide how to deal with that. The two raised slots in the back for the carpet and the rough welds around the wheel wells were the biggest challenge I saw. Decided to raise the platform up on 2x8's that I will bolt into the body with the existing holes. Then I'll bolt the platform to the 2x8's.

Plywood is cheap. Depending on exactly how much you want to cover, you could do the platform with a single sheet of 4x8. A decent sheet will set you back $30-35. If you don't like it, you've got a prototype for the more expensive material. If you do, you can bedline it (which is my plan).

Here is a mockup I did of my design. Splitting it made the sheets more manageable. Still working out what I want to do with the hatches over the footwells. It's a decent amount of space.

Platform_top.jpg Platform_bottom.jpg

Finally, Goose-Gear makes a kit for this. It looks good, but it costs a fortune.

rubicon91

Explorer
Finally, Goose-Gear makes a kit for this. It looks good, but it costs a fortune.

Goose-Gear does make a platform and yes it does cost a fortune as well. Just realize if you go the route of goose gear you will need the side cubbies as well as the floor plate and the delete system. I love Goose Gear and it is exceptionally thought out. Another option is the Kilby Flat Floor that CU Offroad has. Here is a link go to about 1 min 35 seconds or so and you can see it. I also think there is an old thread in here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kafWy803w9E&index=1&t=98s&list=LLOBIV9HwP11Ug_l5IhDNj_A

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I used regular old plywood for my "flat floor" - which basically just covers the rear foot wells.
It's 1/2 inch and holding up well. I varnished it, and even when it gets wet the water just wipes off.

For the cabinets I used thin plywood (1/4 and some 3/8) and it's also holding up very well. The frames are aluminum tube.

I am happy with the result, though I would look for something different next time.

I want it lighter.

cabinets_finished_right-720x480.jpg

building-cabinets-work-in-progress-720x480.jpg

Lots more photos here: http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-build-phase-1-complete

-Dan

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
JCDriller turned me on to another good idea, which was to use a Horse Stall mat (on top of the platform). I never did this, but he and others have with great results.
It is high density material so great for sound.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Goose-Gear does make a platform and yes it does cost a fortune as well. Just realize if you go the route of goose gear you will need the side cubbies as well as the floor plate and the delete system. I love Goose Gear and it is exceptionally thought out. Another option is the Kilby Flat Floor that CU Offroad has. Here is a link go to about 1 min 35 seconds or so and you can see it. I also think there is an old thread in here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kafWy803w9E&index=1&t=98s&list=LLOBIV9HwP11Ug_l5IhDNj_A

When did they re-release that? I tried to buy one from kilby when he owned KE back in 2013 and could never get a straight answer from him.

rubicon91

Explorer
That I have no idea on but it is on the cu off-road website under the trail something page lol sorry cannot remember what exactly is after trail there but I looked it up after I watched that video. Now purchasing is another story I guess but it does show up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

DesertJK

Adventurer
FWIW: here are some pictures of what I did. This worked out really awesome for our specific use.
kept all the gear stowed below, and strong enough for the dog and I to sleep on.
the front left panel was built so it could be quickly removed in case we needed a third seat.

Picture 1). 10ga aluminum with 32oz synthetic jute glued to indoor/outdoor carpet kept it quiet, and comfortable

I really like your set up. I like you dog too. You have me leaning towards aluminum again.
I don't want to add much weight. Right now it has lost weight by not having the rear seats and carpet. Aluminum would stay with that idea.

DesertJK

Adventurer
I used regular old plywood for my "flat floor" - which basically just covers the rear foot wells.
It's 1/2 inch and holding up well. I varnished it, and even when it gets wet the water just wipes off.

For the cabinets I used thin plywood (1/4 and some 3/8) and it's also holding up very well. The frames are aluminum tube.

I am happy with the result, though I would look for something different next time.

I want it lighter.

cabinets_finished_right-720x480.jpg

building-cabinets-work-in-progress-720x480.jpg

Lots more photos here: http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-build-phase-1-complete

-Dan

Nice work. I like the idea of so much storage. For me it wouldn't work because this is more of a multi-mission Jeep. I need to be able to haul stuff, as well as use it for travel.

DesertJK

Adventurer

It looks like quite the jump for your dog. Having had a 110 pound retired police GSD, I know it's no problem, until they get old.
Do you have a plan for that?
My Coyote/Cattle dog mix is 11 and is becoming hesitant to jump in from the back door of my 4" lift 35" tire JK. My lab is 2, she has no issues. I am thinking I will have to make a ramp soon since old dogs usually don't like being lifted up.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Nice work. I like the idea of so much storage. For me it wouldn't work because this is more of a multi-mission Jeep. I need to be able to haul stuff, as well as use it for travel.

Yeah, my Jeep is a bit of a one-trick pony now.

That said, when I put the upper cabinets in the aisle, I get a lot of storage space.
rear_sleeping_platform-720x480.jpg

Two days after finishing it I loaded almost everything AEV make for the JK inside, on top of those cabinets.
Front bumper, front skid plate, rear bumper, tire carrier, snorkle, 2.5" lift, etc. etc.
So it can eat up some stuff when it needs to.

The team at AEV said they had never seen anyone do that before :)

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94