Building a 2008 Kawasaki KLR650 for Overland Travel!

desertrover

Adventurer
What's up with the conspiracy nowadays anyway? Bike looks great, I've been spending some time on a thumper myself. Are you going to haul that thing out to Desert RdV? Gas how it is, I might just leave the mog at home and head out on the DR.

FAW3

Adventurer
Molle Utility Bag for the crash bars

You might like the idea of some additional storage:

I've really had good use by adding a mil. style molle bag to mine. Started with one, then added one for the other side. The molle style straps mount very securly around the SWM crashbars, look neat, add a couple of black flex ties to keep it on in case a snap lets loose...or someone tries to just quickly walk off with one of them.

Mounted outside of the bars...no real effect to air flow for the rad.

I bought Condor brand Large Utility Pouchs...about $15 on ebay. Size is about 8x8x2.5. Holds a 2 quart mil style canteen perfectly. I typically use the other for snack bars/food/spare propane can and quick small items I'm picking up or carrying. They also fold down and strap down nice with empty. There are many makers/sizes/styles of these pouches...I went with these due to the open storage construction...for flexibility of what will fit in them. One neat variation I considered was a tool carrier that is flat that when mounted, but open would give you sort of a small table to rest things...in the end I thought that soft items of low value were the best choice for carrying here.

I decided to keep my tools and other critical items in my lockable pelican case on rear or my tank bag which I will often carry with me.

I'll try to post a photo.

Attachments

• 2011klrbag.jpg
    2011klrbag.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 16

Frank

Explorer
Hey Doc, whats your take on this "thermo-bob" that people are performing on the KLRs to keep temps at a steady rate.

Frank

Explorer
Im sorta on the fence about it. Much like the doo-hicky, my local mechanic says he doesn't see a reason to modify it.

-though I do 90% of my own work on my vehicles, I still seek advice

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Im sorta on the fence about it. Much like the doo-hicky, my local mechanic says he doesn't see a reason to modify it.

-though I do 90% of my own work on my vehicles, I still seek advice

The temp gauge on my 2008 KLR doesn't move from the cold zone when I'm moving and only occasionally moves if I'm stationary for a while. If I let the bike idle (in any weather) it stays in the warm range as the fan does its thing. It never looks right but I can't see any reason to mess with a cooling system that doesn't cause the bike to overheat.

The engine never sounds right either but it definitely isn't as lawnmower smooth or as quiet as it was a couple of years ago, even after I replaced the missing exhaust manifold gasket. Maybe its worth actually working out how to check the valves and the equally ignored dohickey chain tension?

Frank

Explorer
Well, that actually is why people modify the cooling system if I understand it correctly. Modified via the "thermo-bob", the cooling system gets up to temp and stays there.
My bike (and others) acts exactly like yours does.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The Desert Rendezvous is really gaining alot of steam this year and looks to be our best outing to date. Between the trash cleanup, the Desert Challenge, the raffle, the meal by OVG and happy hour this is going to be HUGE! :bigbossHL:

2012 SoCal Desert Rendezvous thread on Expedition Portal

Big thanks to Tembo Tusk, Adventure Trailers, Overland Gourmet, Sierra Expeditions, Sportsmobile, JPFreek Magazine and Front Runner Outfitters for jumping onboard to help us make this happen!

DRGREEN.png

Some positive press for the upcoming Rendezvous and Tacodoc.com courtesy of the boys over at Overland Gourmet and Central Overland
salute.gif

rendezvousavatar.jpg

2012 SoCal Desert Rendezvous on Central Overland

2012 SoCal Desert Rendezvous at Overland Gourmet

See you in the Desert!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Thinking of selling the KLR...

IF I were to sell it as is, what do you think she's worth?

Just turned 4K miles, well farkled, always garaged, pretty much pristine condition.

Last edited:

Frank

Explorer
$4k would be a reasonable price given the time of the year.

-although you may not have a "riding season" like we do in the mid-west.
I need to update my thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94