Build your own Fuso FG6 4x4 based camper/overlander!

Jim Beam

If you do end up committing to a bigger truck, I would suggest looking at what else is viable in that weight range.
I don't know what's available in SA, but a MAN immediately comes to mind...

Yes I also thought about the MAN. There was a write up on this forum about a MAN i think......or was it elsewhere ? ...read so much on the Internet these days. How did we do without it ?

DzlToy

Explorer
FF,

Would you mind getting a ground clearance measurement top the bottom of your kitchen box? SAE or Metric is acceptable.

Cheers

P.S. wow, this thread went sideways in a hurry...

FF,

Would you mind getting a ground clearance measurement top the bottom of your kitchen box? SAE or Metric is acceptable.

Cheers

P.S. wow, this thread went sideways in a hurry...

Yeah I know, I was going to keep the messages in case there may be some info in there for someone but decided to delete them as it is not in line with my thread.

The measurement you asked for is 560mm.

And attached is a basic drawing of the outer dimensions of the kitchenette.

Attachments

• MF4X4C01-KITCHENETTE MAIN.PDF
    94.2 KB · Views: 30

DzlToy

Explorer
Thanks, sorry for the typo; I guess you figured out "to the bottom" (of the box), not "top the bottom", oops.

Thank you for all the photos and details on your build.

Thank you for looking.

Problem is now that I have completed it I am itching for an upgrade to something bigger. Wife and I have started putting a plan in place to full-time overland for a good couple of years and home school the kids on the road.

I'd like to do that in a bigger truck.

So I have about 16 months in order to do it all over again and use what I have learned on this build.

Jim Beam

So then, do you think custom campers is the way to go ?

Good thing is, you have already done this once.....you know what works and what doesn't. I'd be more inclined to follow your views here in terms of local conditions then anyone else I know. Will be watching with interest.

ShannonH

Thank you for looking.

Problem is now that I have completed it I am itching for an upgrade to something bigger. Wife and I have started putting a plan in place to full-time overland for a good couple of years and home school the kids on the road.

I'd like to do that in a bigger truck.

So I have about 16 months in order to do it all over again and use what I have learned on this build.

That is a great plan! My wife and I are on the same track with our 3 kids. Our issue is the lack of suitable vehicles in the US.

That is a great plan! My wife and I are on the same track with our 3 kids. Our issue is the lack of suitable vehicles in the US.

That cannot be true. In the States you have the biggest selection of RV's in the world and the best towing vehicles! Plus any number of bus & truck conversions, you guys are spoiled for choice surely??

Finally all the contemplating has turned into action and we have purchased that larger Iveco ML150 4x4.

Below is a cab-to-cab size comparisson between the 15 ton Iveco and the 6 ton Fuso.

We had the chassis lengthened by 1,100mm between the axles which will allow us a 6,200mm long box plus legal overhang for a motorcycle lift.

Below is a comparisson of tyre size between the 37's on the Fuso and an average height person against the Iveco's all mighty 14R20's!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles