Build Thread- 2003 Red Cross ERV- Rambolance

wonderingsol

So did you end up going with the stock wheels and 255/85/16 all the way around? How’d that work out with the spacing between the drw’s? I have a similar build going (Vanterra turtletop drw) and have been researching wheels and tires. Some folks over at the chinook RV forum look to be running a similar setup on the 255/85/16.

carnut1969

Yeah the wheel sizing turned out great. I am running different wheels front and rear. I'll post some new pics...

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
Hey carnut1969 do you know what the rear end is in these things? Dana 60 or 70 or? I keep forgetting to look and I want to get a locker for mine. I plan on just doing a lift, tires and a locker and maybe go 4x4 sometime down the road.

carnut1969

It’s a big beefy rear end. 80? Chris at UJOR told me and I’m not 100% remembering.

I was also going to go lift and locker BUT the less expensive lifts won’t allow 4x4 in the future and you’d be starting over. Go with UJOR kit and it’s not that much more $$ to rip off the bandaid and do it all.

here are the rear tires:

CDE6AE8E-38FD-488E-A744-E7D9D6E3B197.jpeg

carnut1969

Been a minute since the last update- she’s been on the stands for a while! Springs took forever but Chris was helpful and on top of it. They finally arrived! She is off the stands with the d60 installed, Sitting on the new Atlas front and rear springs. Still have to install the transfer case and new driveshafts but that doesn’t look too difficult.
Also, planning to extend the rear sway bar links to level the bar after the lift.
A 80/20 rack had been ordered as well.

After that it’s on to the wiring. I’ll run wires for everything planned now with extra wires for future needs then blow in insulation and start with the interior build out. She’s coming along!

4AB60C56-FD1A-4519-B664-DCFE818D4CCC.jpeg

carnut1969

Ok, build is progressing slowly but surely.

Currently installing insulation while I wait for the wires and the remainder of the electrical items to arrive.

The insulation is 8mm Kilmat, then 2" foam. The larger hollow aluminum structures in the walls fill be foam filled.

The solar panels (2 150w panels) are installed and I'm running mostly all Victron equipment. 2000w inverter charger with digital multi control, MPPT solar charge controller, battery monitor and a Renogy DC-DC charger to take advantage of my dual alternators. I purchased a wiring plan but not sure yet how to include the Cyrix battery combiner.

Built a roof rack from 1"x 2" 80/20. Easy to mount the solar panels with the 80/20. The other 1/2 of the rack will be a deck.

All of the mechanical stuff is done with the exception of installing my transfer case and having the driveshafts made. Plan is to drive it to the driveshaft shop and install the case there. Should be easy.

Stereo is a 10" tablet style with everything a tablet can do and more. Can monitor engine data through the torq app, gps, etc. You can even watch movies and monitor the Battery stuff. The Hertz speakers are driven by an old school ADS PQ10 amp and a Rockford powered sub is mounted behind the seat. Sounds amazing!

I'd also like to use the door that was once access to the spare tire cabinet to access the cassette toilet but can't seem to find the dimensions of the cassettes themselves if anyone knows.

Hole for AC:

hole.jpg

Insulation:

insul.jpg

foam.jpg

Stereo stuff:

radio.jpg

stereo.jpg

Electronics (will be enclosed):

elect.jpg

monitor.jpg

wall.jpg