Build Thread- 2003 Red Cross ERV- Rambolance

bgflyguy

That looks sharp. What paint did they use? Did you pull all of the diamond plate?

Are you going to do the ujor kit yourself?

carnut1969

I’m not sure what the brand is but because it wouldn’t fit inside the booth the shop said a single stage enamel would provide the best results.... and it looks amazing. The shop said the paint is extremely hard and should last a lifetime with care.

Yes! ! I am installing the UJOR kit myself. Chris has been available for all of my dumb questions so far.... doesn’t look that difficult really. Planning to pickup a plasma cutter to make some of the cuts a little easier.

cab painted today! They are going to redo the aero cap bc Autoglo wasn’t happy with the results but if the weather cooperates I should be able to get it Friday!

Attachments

• 568E0AB8-8607-41A0-8979-28BAB785704C.jpeg
    568E0AB8-8607-41A0-8979-28BAB785704C.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 66

carnut1969

Oh- the diamond plate... Autoglo said it’s tough to get the paint to stick to diamond plate. I’ll either have it powder coated or dipped

19Spec3

Awesome. I just bought the same thing -- retired Red Cross ERV -- except it's a 2002 7.3L with about 100k miles and supposedly runs well. I pick it up this weekend. Mine will be used to tow my Spec3 racecar and for some light camping. The dark grey looks great!

carnut1969

Ok ladies, need your opinion.

“Iron Cross” cut into the front of the bumper. I’m NOT a fan. My liberal father says it’s great and he’d leave it.

I’m thinking I cut it out leaving a rectangular hole which can be “filled” with a mesh (weld it in from behind) or even left open. There isn’t much metal left there so I don’t think it would have a structural impact.
Another thought it to have the branding covered with a metal plate that could be bolted/ welded or riveted on.

Thoughts?

92493140-903D-4E4E-90F1-7CD5B96E539A.jpeg

ITTOG

I would leave it as is or leave as is with rectangular plate over it or behind it. Don't mess up the bumper though.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

carnut1969

Worked on the van all weekend. Put the trim back on the van- paint came out great. Stripped the rest of the interior and found some really bad wiring work (so many of you have gorgeous wiring... not this one). I even found a 110V wire that had just been cut and left that way... no cap or anything. Its also a big mess of wires under the driver's seat- pics below tell the story. as a result, I'm going to go through all the wiring and get rid of whats not needed.

strip interior.jpg

wiremess.jpg

cut wire.jpg

aaa.jpg

Last edited:

carnut1969

Got the rear wheels and spring hangers at Miller’s Powdercoating. Finished one of the rear doors tonight- Kilmat and wool like the rest of the truck will have, then covered in black aluminum diamond plate.

420698EE-ACE3-4CB8-9FF3-F18F2686A87E.jpeg

eporter

Adventurer
Great looking rig, so much potential. Really transforms with paint.

Where was the hour meter located on yours? I called a dealer with one for sale and he said there wasn’t one...but he probably didn’t notice it.

carnut1969

The hour meter is under and in front of) the drivers seat. If it’s a Wheeled Coach they all have them. Mine had 1700 hours With 36k miles. I’d bet if it’s an actual ERV you will not see any idle hours and mileage will reflect actual use.

Ive been quiet but working hard. Have the UJOR transfer case install kit. Finished both rear doors and installed a vintage door pull. Ordered a switch box (voswitch) which seems similar to the spod but at a lower price. Should clean up the wiring significantly. Used kilmat to cover the entire front box and installed a new carpet kit and a new center console. Decided on the audio system and hoping to find some deals. Also found a great Inverter charger combo with everything I need for solar but the guy won’t call me back. Argh! Removed the rear lights and ordered led. Also removed the rear facia and will have it powder coated or anodized black. Plasma cutter arrived.

Hopefully my wheels and spring hangers will be completed at some point. The PC shop said 2 weeks, then at 2 weeks said 2 more weeks. The Atlas springs also taking FOREVER. Maybe at the end of July? Ugh. The replacement bumper (the one I cut was an F series bumper- joy) was supposed to be shipped Friday but no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles