Build Primer?

RJ Howell

Please confirm for me.. I was told if I change the rear gears, I need to do the front as well. Told they have to match.

RJ Howell

With a camper sticking up over the cab

I have purposely designed with very little weight over the cab! Beauty of a pop-top! Actually the majority of the weight is still bed height. Best I figure right now is 10-15% of the weight is above what would be bed rail height. I just saw a unit where only 8" was above the cab (thought the mattress was quite thin..) I figure I'll be 10-12" over.

RJ Howell

The Spring Shop I sent so many folks to over the years no longer engineer's the add-ons... That service is now gone.. bummer. Looks like this is going to take a bit more research than I hoped.. Anyone have a good site to work from?

RJ Howell

Running gambit of reviews.. Seems if someone bought Sumo Springs 'It's the way to go' and of course those that AAL'ed feel the same. Then you find the real honest folks that have Sumo and switching to AAL and of course the opposite as applies.

Sumo seems the complain is it runs stiff. Figure it would once in contact and doing it's thing. Biggest con seems to be shock travel is limited with them when loaded down. Seems to me same condition with AAL, no??
AAL complaint seems to be squeaky mainly (tough folks speak of rusting hardware). Folks are saying more comfortable ride, yet I really wonder about this..

I'm leaning towards the AAL. My thoughts are basically the SS's are single point contact vs. the leaf being two point and of all seems a better suspension. Both are fairly equal for the lift/load ratings and costs also balance towards the AAL.

Looking at these: Hellwick

Thoughts folks?

Last edited:

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Sumo Springs don't add lift, they only limit "sag" under load. They only engage the suspension when there is enough travel either under load or due to suspension cycling.

AAL adds lift but typically makes the ride rougher due to adding spring rate to achieve lift.

Timbren makes an "active off road suspension" for some applications. Timbrens are the same concept as sumo springs. The difference between the active off road suspension and the overload setup seems to be a lower rated "Aeon Spring" (the rubber bit). If they don't make the active setup for your application you can probably duplicate the functionality by specifying a softer aeon spring. They have a chart available that lists all the available springs. You can pick a softer one in the same series as the one in the standard overload kit.

RJ Howell

Okay so far I have chosen the Bilstein 5100's for shock replacements. Went with a Moog replacement front coil (seems most of the sag is age). Rear I still haven't decided on how to deal with the leaf's. Leaning towards the ReadyLift 1.5" Add-a-Leaf (like the cost and the way it installs).

RJ Howell

Coils are in, springs are here. Going to have some time this week and temps are above freezing (mid 30's- 40's). Decent shot of getting the front end and answer the unknown question... Will it raise me 1"?? Guess I'll know fairly soon!

RJ Howell

Still drawing and working through the upcoming build. Rear bumper question... Why close it off? I'm drawing a 1.5" x 1.5" tube bumper with plate under and on the sides for slides/skids. I like it open... What am I missing??? Seems all I look at are closed.

tvI85Azl.png

RJ Howell

Coils and struts complete! Brought me within an 1" of level! Darn close to what I expected to happen.. So happy!

Heading to the rear now to remove the bed.

I'm researching tires and like these Toyo Open Country A/T ii 's. Looking at the LT25580R17. They measure out at just over 33" tall and I believe will fit fine!
Anyone have or opinion there of?

RJ Howell

Haven't updated here in a while..

Time for an update! With the roof in pace it was time to prototype the lift bracket (my H bracket) and give it a try. Hinged in the middle, it folds and extends nicely. I like!!

qnK92ASm.jpg

This only shows the back lifted, but the front will be as well.

u4FKZpGm.jpg

Door went on the back entry and starting into shelf placement in the storage areas.

08tkTa9m.jpg

And best of all, it fits in the garage!!

9xMElm5m.jpg

My piano hinges and latches are coming in soon, so need to get busy on the storage doors and painting out the back. Material for the roof extension is on it's way and some sewing time is in my near future. It's getting closer all the time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94