Build planning: 2018 power wagon+AT atlas

Demart77

Hello everyone-

Relatively new to expo portal but have been researching build options over the past 6 months. We are a young family living in Utah with a 1 year old daughter. My wife and I have spent time on the road/camping via my previous vehicle which was a 13 Tacoma with bed build out (water, organization etc) and a rtt. A great setup but not ideal for a small growing family.

Now it’s time to start our new build out. I’d love any feedback from this community. Many of you have been doing this for a long time and it’d be great to get your prospective on the plan.

Use/application: while we used to spend weeks on the road, now we are weekend (or long weekend) warriors with 4-8 day trip windows primarily in the warmer weather months. We do spend quite a bit of time on forest service of 4wd roads in the Utah/Colorado area. Gear wise, we generally are bringing mountain bikes. I have a hitch rack with swing arm to carry these.

Here goes.

Truck: 2018 power wagon (I already own this so committed this far)
Camper: AT overland atlas
- bedrug truck bed liner (help with dust coming into camper on service roads and more comfortable living)
- trail kitchen sink/fridge unit - https://trailkitchens.com/collections/campervan-solutions/products/campervan-water-system
-national Luna fridge 52 L legacy
- HOTTAP outdoor water heater/shower
- rooftop solar (to power water pump, outdoor shower, fridge) —open to recommendations here, I need to research solar systems

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

-David

Last edited:

Pnwfullsize

We are planning a similar build with similar needs. The at camper beds are a little narrow which is pushing us toward a project m for our power wagon.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Demart77

Thanks for the feedback all. Hoping to find someone that has some knowledge on trail kitchen application. It looks like a really slick unit but made for dropping into a sprinter van. Need to figure out how to mount in the truck bed but imagine it shouldn’t be too difficult to figure out.

@Pnwfullsize - we go back and forth almost daily on AT Atlas vs. project M. I need to go by Equipt outfitters amd have a look. Not sure if they have a project M but I know they have a AT summit on display.

Also, any solar system recommendations out there?