The windoors on the ARE DCU have two positions. Up until about 30 degrees open and they want to stay closed. Past that point and they want to open all the way to the top. I wanted a way to prop them open at something like a 30-45 degree angle (for rain) , as well as a way to pull them closed easier when they are all the way up.
I mounted a small hook in the window sill and on the window and then used 1/16" wire rope to make some loops ... one on teach end and a couple in the middle. I can now attach the cable loops to the hooks to hold the windoors open at a couple of different positions. If the hooks start to pull out then I'll JB Weld them in.
In retrospect I think maybe I should have used a larger cable size instead of the smallest that Lowes sold. Pulling the doors closed, via the cable causes it to cut in to your hands a bit. A larger diameter would solve that ... and be bulkier, get in the way more, etc. I think I'll probably make a leather "hand hold" about halfway up to solve that issue.
You're supposed to use a special swagging tool to attack the ferrules to the wire rope, and I'm sure my mid-span loop method is wrong also. I used a pair of channel locks. It's just a window.
Also, I'm now out of bourbon.
*) Still waiting on the bed frame parts from 8020.
*) My Magic Mount should arrive today. I'm going to hack up a magnetic mount for use with a ram mount & arm ... if the magic mount test works.
*) I'm starting to research radios. One of those cheap Chinese HAM units and a cheapo CB also. I'm thinking of a folding antenna mount between the cap and cab. I'm torn here. I don't want a "look" that has a bunch of stuff mounted in the cab. A good, cheap CB is $50 ... or I can $150 for that one all the jeep people use with nifty hand unit. Likewise the baofeng. Do I really want it just hanging out all the time? I'm likely to say yes to both, but try to "hide" them some in an out of the way place since they wont get used much. Hence the interest in a fold down antenna for the CB (and, likley, none for the HAM.)
Ham seems easy to get a license for ... but it was quite intimidating in the beginning. I wish someone had told me all the questions were online in flash cards. I feel like you can do flash cards for 3-4 hours and then pass the test.
It's great; I just park and pull out my camp chair and I'm set up!
It's been awhile since I updated. I "finished" the primary build of the backend, which finishes this phase. I'll take a couple of months break befre starting to work on the electrical.
The legs have been straightened and screwed to the floor, as well as inserting a couple of new ones. A new "main" mattress went in, as well as storage cubes, cut down to height on a bandsaw. A spruce tabletop went in, with about nine coats of poly. It has metal tabs underneath where it rests on the bed supports when turning it in to a full sized bed. It swings out to provide some outside table space. The trim panels are hardboard, covered in shelf lines, with neo magnets to hold them on.
Tweaks to do:
*) Switch out the magnets for velcro. The magnets just don't hold well enough.
*) Swap the mattress for yet another new one. I can feel the bed supports .. not good! I think this means spending about $150 or more on a single, or a twin I can cut down.
*) Put a pieces of foam between the cap and cab above the window. This should allow me to keep the front window open, for ventilation, in the rain.
*) Make my magnetic window screens. The screen material is coming today, so I should get on that tomorrow.
*) DC-DC charger
*) 100 Amp hour battery
*) Lights, fans, outlets
*) 12v mattress pad (which is why I'm going with 100 amp hours)
*) MAYBE a solar panel or two. Maybe.