Build camper using ladder rack as a frame?

SixLug

Explorer
What say you about trying to use a ladder rack frame as the beginning of a pop up camper? I am posting all kinds of of camper shell questions at the moment, but I am trying to figure out the best route. Ultimately, I would LOVE an OVRLND unit, but i do not have $8K sitting around for something like that. But a ladder rack can be had cheap and is super sturdy, and I would imagine it would reduce a lot of work in designing and building the initial frame. "Just" have to add a pop up section to the top. Ridiculous idea? Poke holes in it.....

GoinBoardin

Observer
To be honest, after I used a fwc frame as my builds starting point, I would, without question, start from scratch. I spent more time reconfiguring that frame than I anticipated, and all the while felt constrained by it. I see a ladder rack in a similar light. Chop saw, welder, and a pile of light wall tubing: the sky is the limit. And by sky, I mean your own imagination. Trying to get a jump start didn't save me time, or money. I'm not going to say it can't be done well, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

SixLug

Explorer
I guess what I’m thinking is that I wouldn’t be cutting it up at all. That would be the point. Just building straight onto it.

s.e.charles

I often pine the same idea. I would consider early how the finished canopy/ camper would be (a) removed from the bed & (b) weather-sealed. additional "strutting" should only serve to reinforce the dynamic load limit, and type sheathing might be considered to add shear strength to the whole.

I think picking a rack manufacturer and getting their engineering specs would be a good starting point and then begin the ordeal. keeping track & weighing options will help decide on final solutions.

Q: is this going to be bed cover only or cantilevered over the truck cab?

the latter will introduce its own considerations & complications.

SixLug

Explorer
The thought would be starting with a simple square tube style rack. Light load limits. I don’t and won’t pack on the roof. So the main support would be required only for holding the pop up system and static (sleeping) loads. It would be the type similar to OVRLND’s setup with an over -the- roof section.

SixLug

Explorer
I went and did this today though...

Attachments

• B8F4ADFC-8DDE-4182-8459-8532FCE17507.jpeg
    B8F4ADFC-8DDE-4182-8459-8532FCE17507.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 47
  • 610BBACA-B7D5-4096-BCF6-B704247F4BD0.jpeg
    610BBACA-B7D5-4096-BCF6-B704247F4BD0.jpeg
    882.7 KB · Views: 46

loudboy

Observer
Bump to an old thread for anybody searching in the future: My build thread in my signature has pictures of a simple ladder rack pop-up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier