Build a 100/200, do I care about adding lockers?

nonuniform

Finally have the budget to buy a Land Cruiser, and make a few off road-worthy modifications. Mostly looking at FJ100/200 simply because of age and mileage, V8, and modern comfort. I spend a fair amount of time exploring the desert, so, it's a long drive to where I'm going.

I'll explore suspension upgrades, tires, add a rack to carry extra fuel (yeah, I've gone dry in the middle of nowhere), maybe lights. Do I want to add the $$$ to the budget for aftermarket lockers? I'll probably do this work once, and then maintain it. I hate working on my own cars, so I try to package it all up in one big 2-3 week teardown rather than bits and pieces over the course of years.

stubbspy

Unless you’re doing serious rock crawling, you’ll be fine with ATRAC on an 00-up 100 or any 200, no lockers needed. Put the money into other stuff!

Also check out the ih8mud forum, all of these questions have been discussed as much as you’ll want to read there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Also search YouTube for

“ATRAC land cruiser” and there are quite a few videos of LCs and LX470s with good demonstrations and rules of thumb for using it.

stubbspy

Yes, that’s a good idea too! Mostly the rules are stay steady on light to moderate throttle, don’t mash it and don’t bounce on it.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Yup,

And something about steering angle is also a factor, as in to much turning of the front wheels and it doesn’t “engage” as well or modulate as good.

nonuniform

Thanks! All good info. I've been watching loads of videos. :)

I've only had one truck with lockers, most of my Jeeps were open diffs and I managed to make it through most trails I wanted to go on.

Now to focus on finding the right truck.

Thanks everyone!

stubbspy

Good luck on your hunt! I think which you choose is all about budget. You can find a 100 in decent shape for 13-15k and less than 200k miles, but a 200 will be double that and still have 120k miles on it, at least here in Utah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles