BUILD:1993 Toyota HDJ80 - 1hdT, 5 Speed, 3x Locked, LHD. My dream vehicle!

BryceD

Spent the past couple of days doing some fun stuff!

1. New OEM wheels, caps, and lugs (Used but in great shape)
  2. Used 33in K02s
  3. Used OEM front bumper, trim, and rear bumper corners
E50C5E96-7E0D-4DFB-B2A9-941CD90CC963.jpeg

Front Bumper:
22AAE3F0-5A82-4EAB-AFEF-9FFFB8FB3DED.jpeg
653F29DB-86AA-4D3E-B1C7-5355F92375B7.jpeg

Rear Bumper:
928A848E-8945-4686-B4DF-20AF5182EC45.jpeg
5C601F18-19E1-4720-B1B9-AD4F700F2AE7.jpeg

New Wheels:
E41A2239-24DA-401D-A040-91D11B537CEC.jpeg
DAB91C3D-E151-496E-B0D6-431B269150AE.jpeg
2632C469-3E95-4B95-8209-A74EEFA5AD51.jpeg
Couldn’t be happier!

sanded everything. Repainted the Center Caps. Used semigloss Enamel. Brushed the metal trim. Fun project.
8BE4DD50-4F22-4B84-A14E-AC2ADB44E2D9.jpeg
BFDC8FF6-CBEB-434E-9B8D-806D8BAF3F60.jpeg

BryceD

Just received the Auber Instruments gauges to monitor EGTs and boost. I have never done any sort of wiring or electric work, so I have been doing research... any good resources out there for wiring basics? Also still working out a good place to mount the gauges so they look as close to OEM as possible.

Last edited:

BryceD

While I wait for the new manifolds, the new headlights arrived!
I just pulled the bulbs from the original lights and the popped right in. Pretty painless.
I love the look of these quad headlights so much more. Everything is reversable to OEM if I want to switch back.

F2A2C5B5-83A0-4D23-A327-01F697AD69E7.jpeg

before:

E67393B5-AB3B-48AE-B0CA-5AD186E8D42C.jpeg

after:

68368AAE-6C74-415C-B7AB-572C28BD65D7.jpeg

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Concerning Montana LLC registration of vehicles.

A increasing number of states are now looking at and monitoring these types of Montana LLC vehicle registrations as it relates to where the vehicle is actually domiciled, driven, stored or parked. These states are trying to push the legal opinion that the vehicle owner is only using this Montana LLC as a way of avoiding PAYING sales tax, registration fees and emissions requirements in their state of residence which is EXACTLY what everyone is doing!

Since your Montana LLC is most likely NOT conducting any type of commerce or active business in the Montana LLC Owner/Managing Partner's PERSONAL state of residence these states are now pursuing their citizens with this type of Montana LLC ownership to collect tax and fees they believe are owed. These states might have a legal leg to stand on in their pursuit of you and your money!

Most all of the states require the registration of a vehicle in the owner's state of residence within 30 days OR where the vehicle will be domiciled for 6 months or more each year. Yes I know you now have a legally registered LLC business in Montana HOWEVER that Montana LLC is NOT doing any business in your state of residence therefore there is no reason for that vehicle to be licensed in Montana yet "Living" in your state of residence. Most likely you also DO NOT OWN REAL property in the State of Montana that would also allow you to register your vehicle in the State of Montana. As such the State of Montana has also recently changed this program making not quite as tax advantageous as it was but still available and they will damn sure take your money.

State Insurance Commissions have also become involved in this process making it difficult or or in some situations impossible for the Montana LLC owner to obtain the required insurance coverage because of their state of residence Insurance Board becoming involved in this Montana LLC High value vehicle registration loophole.

Depending upon your state of residence and your states zeal to make you pay the taxes and registration fee's that your state says are owed and you are NOT PAYING just might make the difference in whether your states tax, registration and emissions man try's to rain on your parade.

Something else to consider!

Last edited:

BryceD

Concerning Montana LLC registration of vehicles.

A increasing number of states are now looking at and monitoring these types of Montana LLC vehicle registrations as it relates to where the vehicle is actually domiciled, driven, stored or parked. These states are trying to push the legal opinion that the vehicle owner is only using this Montana LLC as a way of avoiding PAYING sales tax, registration fees and emissions requirements in their state of residence which is EXACTLY what everyone is doing!

Since your Montana LLC is most likely NOT conducting any type of commerce or active business in the Montana LLC Owner/Managing Partner's PERSONAL state of residence these states are now pursuing their citizens with this type of Montana LLC ownership to collect tax and fees they believe are owed. These states might have a legal leg to stand on in their pursuit of you and your money!

Most all of the states require the registration of a vehicle in the owner's state of residence within 30 days OR where the vehicle will be domiciled for 6 months or more each year. Yes I know you now have a legally registered LLC business in Montana HOWEVER that Montana LLC is NOT doing any business in your state of residence therefore there is no reason for that vehicle to be licensed in Montana yet "Living" in your state of residence. Most likely you also DO NOT OWN REAL property in the State of Montana that would also allow you to register your vehicle in the State of Montana. As such the State of Montana has also recently changed this program making not quite as tax advantageous as it was but still available and they will damn sure take your money.

State Insurance Commissions have also become involved in this process making it difficult or or in some situations impossible for the Montana LLC owner to obtain the required insurance coverage because of their state of residence Insurance Board becoming involved in this Montana LLC High value vehicle registration loophole.

Depending upon your state of residence and your states zeal to make you pay the taxes and registration fee's that your state says are owed and you are NOT PAYING just might make the difference in whether your states tax, registration and emissions man try's to rain on your parade.

Something else to consider!
Thanks for letting me know! This is great info! Maybe i will look into transferring everything over in the coming months. Or figuring out some type of solution that would make things more legit.. Thanks!

BryceD

What a job this turned out to be... ???

I went to instal an EGT gauge and found a crack in my exhaust manifold... I ordered new studs, gaskets, manifold... the works. Wasn’t too pricey from partsouq. I think the total was around $500.

The old:

A1BA4F81-83F3-4151-97C4-21207823748C.jpeg

Removing the damn things was real pain... I ended up having to take part the exaust to the Cat and removing al brackets and hoses leading to the turbo. Two studs were stuck and i could not get to them with the manifold in the way.

I tapped the new manifold and ceramic coated the heat shields.

After wiggling and forcing the old manifold off, putting the new one on was just as annoying, but bolt after bolt, i did it. I ended up having to take out all of the studs leading in the block, then fitting the manifold to the turbo, THEN adding all of the studs back into the block through the manifold. Things were not lining up if i tried the other way around.

6E50AD3E-8F11-4B14-ADC3-14DA7C911A80.jpeg

79EBDAF9-5D84-4BF1-9F42-F2551AA779F3.jpeg

BC1C1C8D-772C-4090-A266-97CE7838D2CF.jpeg

EF2EAD04-6F50-4BB7-8C66-17F0E4574E8F.jpeg

ALL DONE!

36DDFE9C-A6ED-413C-9155-5A2F1FDBE860.jpeg

VanWaLife

That's surely a dream Toyota. With regard to wiring your gauges, my approach with my truck has been to use marine grade materials, especially marine adhesive lined heat shrink and marine terminals. Pretty much just crimp your terminal, give it a good tug-test, shrink up the heat shrink (which you should get over the wire before you put the terminal on, otherwise it may not fit). I've found this guide as good as any for the basics of DC wiring: https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-Wire-Terminal-Tech-Specs

You'll probably need to locate constant, switched, and headlight switched 12v sources for the gauges. Other than that the easy part will probably be following the wiring diagrams the gauges come with, and the hard part will be getting everything plumbed so it doesn't look like a total mess. My advice for that is to not be shy about ripping stuff out when you realize you should have run wires under something you went over, etc., and to always upsize conduit and firewall holes for the wire you forgot to include in the bundle or future modifications. Actually it might not be a bad idea to pass extra wires through the firewall for future devices.

It sounds like you've already got your gauges; times are changing fast in the world of automotive gauges. When I added AFR and fluid temp gauges to my rig I went with PLX specifically because they have an app and a bluetooth interface, so I can monitor everything on my iphone and don't have to have a bunch of non-stock gauges. PLX currently offers a EGT sensor, but not a boost sensor as far as I can tell. The system is really nice because as they upgrade the app they add new features (still waiting for a data logging feature).
Edit-Actually it looks like PLX's boost transducer is built into their SMPro unit, so you just run a vacuum hose to the SMPro. For pressure above 15 psi the manual says to zip tie the hose on there....not sure how secure that would be, or what would happen if it fell off.

Last edited:

BryceD

That's surely a dream Toyota. With regard to wiring your gauges, my approach with my truck has been to use marine grade materials, especially marine adhesive lined heat shrink and marine terminals. Pretty much just crimp your terminal, give it a good tug-test, shrink up the heat shrink (which you should get over the wire before you put the terminal on, otherwise it may not fit). I've found this guide as good as any for the basics of DC wiring: https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-Wire-Terminal-Tech-Specs

You'll probably need to locate constant, switched, and headlight switched 12v sources for the gauges. Other than that the easy part will probably be following the wiring diagrams the gauges come with, and the hard part will be getting everything plumbed so it doesn't look like a total mess. My advice for that is to not be shy about ripping stuff out when you realize you should have run wires under something you went over, etc., and to always upsize conduit and firewall holes for the wire you forgot to include in the bundle or future modifications. Actually it might not be a bad idea to pass extra wires through the firewall for future devices.

It sounds like you've already got your gauges; times are changing fast in the world of automotive gauges. When I added AFR and fluid temp gauges to my rig I went with PLX specifically because they have an app and a bluetooth interface, so I can monitor everything on my iphone and don't have to have a bunch of non-stock gauges. PLX currently offers a EGT sensor, but not a boost sensor as far as I can tell. The system is really nice because as they upgrade the app they add new features (still waiting for a data logging feature).
Edit-Actually it looks like PLX's boost transducer is built into their SMPro unit, so you just run a vacuum hose to the SMPro. For pressure above 15 psi the manual says to zip tie the hose on there....not sure how secure that would be, or what would happen if it fell off.
Awesome thanks for all of this!

BryceD

EGT and BOOST gauges hooked up, I think they are calibrated well. I’d love to hear numbers on the 1hdt and what I should be looking out for! Everything on mine is OEM For the most part.

EGT probe is pre turbo. Boost vacuum hose was tied into the hose coming out of the ‘turbo’ crossover manifold.

Initial tests show:
Idle after warmed - EGT ~360F / BOOST ~4.6 PSI
110kph @ ~2500RPM - EGT ~600-800F / BOOST ~10 PSI
During acceleration onto highway - EGT ~1000 - 1200F / BOOST ~12PSI
Short burst of full acceleration - EGT ~1100 - 1400F

id love to hear any thought on these numbers and any recommended adjustments.

gerardines

Observer
that's such a nice cruiser, if it had the dual tank and spare tire in the back it would be my dream truck witout a doubt ... great conversion on the dual squared lights also belive it looks much better in the 80 series.

continue with the great job updating the 80

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior