BUILD:1993 Toyota HDJ80 - 1hdT, 5 Speed, 3x Locked, LHD. My dream vehicle!

bj70_guy

Adventurer
temps and pressures are stable going 75 up a steep mountain grade.

I can't recommend strongly enough getting an EGT gauge installed as soon as possible. You really want to know what your exhaust gas temps are doing while you're blasting up mountain grades at 75mph.

I like the Isspro gauges, but there are lots of others to choose from.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks so much! I found it on craigslist in Montana. A guy named Josh had two of them and decided to let this one go. have not added those gauges. I’ve been on the fence about modding too heavily with new intercoolers and such. Everything seems to run tip top and temps and pressures are stable going 75 up a steep mountain grade. It is an incredible combo, no doubt. I have a provent catch can in the mail And will add that this week. Do you recommend any gauges or threads about EGT and boost gauges?

I would recommend getting boost and EGT right away. Oil Pressure and coolant temp would also be handy, but could be done later. There are a lot of 80s out there that run dangerously hot, even under a "factory" tune. Mine would run 1100 degrees cruising at 65 mph, when I got it. Tuning to decrease EGT (by increasing boost and adjusting boost compensator) is a very common mod to keep your rig safe. Like bj70_guy, I use ISSOPRO gauges.

BryceD

Installed the PROVENT 200 today. Easy job. Will continue to rework the bracket I made, but it will do the trick for now.8A2D4B06-2811-436A-A73C-3504757E90E7.jpeg
FD1015C3-1AE4-4811-85A0-0C58FB5E8AB4.jpeg

the old catch can... small and cheap.
1B933090-A1A1-458D-95CC-E01D0E0D761E.jpeg

BryceD

I would recommend getting boost and EGT right away. Oil Pressure and coolant temp would also be handy, but could be done later. There are a lot of 80s out there that run dangerously hot, even under a "factory" tune. Mine would run 1100 degrees cruising at 65 mph, when I got it. Tuning to decrease EGT (by increasing boost and adjusting boost compensator) is a very common mod to keep your rig safe. Like bj70_guy, I use ISSOPRO gauges.
Adding it to the list! Looking at Auber Gauges. How’s the instal? complicated?

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Adding it to the list! Looking at Auber Gauges. How’s the instal? complicated?
Awesome! My ISSOPRO gauges are a pretty simple installation. (Mine are electric so just sensor, wire into cab and into the back of the gauge, and gauge mounting.

BryceD

Reworked the bracket for the PROVENT today. Much much better.

20D35F70-CD29-47EE-A6ED-37B9F3D96D6F.jpeg

old bracket:
A724B256-B9CF-4363-94AE-87C95206849A.jpeg

C p weinberger

Love that cruiser model. Truly one of the most durable with comfort rough road vehicles ever built
I’ve heard insurance companies/ DMVs are onto the LLC Montana work around and Are giving problems, have you heard anything?

BryceD

Love that cruiser model. Truly one of the most durable with comfort rough road vehicles ever built
I’ve heard insurance companies/ DMVs are onto the LLC Montana work around and Are giving problems, have you heard anything?
I didn’t have any issues getting the Montana title and plates and AAA seemed to understand and support what I was doing. Haven’t had an issue.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I didn’t have any issues getting the Montana title and plates and AAA seemed to understand and support what I was doing. Haven’t had an issue.
Would there be any issue registering it in CA? It's a stock diesel import, right? I know I registered my 1HDT swapped 80 without issue over here in NH... but I also know that NH isn't CA.

BryceD

Would there be any issue registering it in CA? It's a stock diesel import, right? I know I registered my 1HDT swapped 80 without issue over here in NH... but I also know that NH isn't CA.
I’m not 100% sure on that. I asked around and heard some horror stories about rejection and even cars getting impounded and they were older stock diesels as well. I’ve also heard that things have been getting more strict lately.... I just decided to avoid it all together and save some money in the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz