BuhBye older Delicas…you can’t register them any more in Maine (is this the start of scary and problematic new trend?)

CharlieNorth

Some of them "NEED" special training. I expect "city drivers" for the most part.
Over here in the hills of VT we are soon to get the new FWD mail trucks. 80% of the roads are gravel. 40% of the year is snow or ice with a good portion wet or real mud. Small Jeeps are the preferred vehicle. My mailman is going on 350K on his. When the Chinese start shipping parts for the new mail trucks we will get then here. With most mailmen questioning the validity of the new trucks as being unsuitable and incapable of getting around in the hills, the PO states you can keep your old vehicle as backup. Maybe we will see these new furrin made mail vehicles 3 or 4 months of the year. FWIW the postal rules are made in Atlanta GA for what the whole country needs. That seems to be tire selection as well.
I think the drivers around the whole country know how their RHD vehicles work.

alexpor

None of this is new. In Texas you can not register kit cars, ie Dune Buggies. In Colorado military vehicles can only be registered as parade vehicles and must be completely stock in the military configuration they were originally built.
Yes,
Also here in Montana registration is not allowed for kit cars and buggies. Many state have denied this.
A motor vehicle cannot be titled in Montana without also being registered—the two processes occur simultaneously. Pickup campers are an exception—they must be titled, but are not registered. All registration takes place at your local county treasurer's office. For more information you can read Montana entity search. Every state have their own rules and regulation and procedure. Montana have already stopped selling diesel to the public. While California still sellling. Due to which small business are bearing the effects.

billiebob

Montana have already stopped selling diesel to the public. While California still sellling. Due to which small business are bearing the effects.
Switching diesel engines to natural gas is a simple solution. India did that 10 years ago in their cities with air pollution problems. Everything from semis to Tuk Tuks now run on natural gas. Of course 4 times the population in 1/3 the land area improves the logistics but the real issue is political will. Diesel is dead, investing in it mkes no sense.

On the RHD Delica, nothing scary or problematic about it. The trend has been there for 50 years. In Australia you cannot drive your LHD overlander. If you ship it to Australia it will sit on the dock til you ship it home. Nothing new LHD cars have been banned in Australia for at least 50 years. It'll eventually be common in North America too. Crazy to ignore the trend and buy anything with the driver sitting on the wrong side of the car.

I doubt it will ever happen in Europe or Asia where neighbouring countries have to switch sides.

How they connect0.jpg

Last edited:

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
In Australia you cannot drive your LHD overlander. If you ship it to Australia it will sit on the dock til you ship it home. Nothing new LHD cars have been banned in Australia for at least 50 years. It'll eventually be common in North America too. Crazy to ignore the trend and buy anything with the driver sitting on the wrong side of the car.

No

This is wrong.

You can drive a temproarily imported vehicle that is LHD.

You can drive and register a LHD vehicle that are over 25-30 years old - I saw an old full size suburban (not a Tony Soprano one, the one a few generations before that) yesterday that was LHD on full QLD rego.
See above link and https://www.nsw.gov.au/topics/vehicle-registration/how-to/historic-vehicles/left-hand-drive

What I can't do is import a brand new Effy and drive it in LHD form. This is why there are conversion companies that make them RHD (with the blessing of the manufacturer) for sale in Australia, and why they cost so much - the conversion is undertaken here in Australia on a prebuilt vehicle.

CharlieNorth

I have looked into the Montana situation, what is stated here is BS.
Montana is simply cracking down on use of non dyed, AKA non road taxed diesel fuel use on the public roads. They are cracking down on people who drive with off highway fuel and charging them with tax evasion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles