Bug Out Utility Trailer Build for Gladiator

Old bike doc

Couple of other projects including adding Tazer to Gladiator so it knows what size tires it has and killing the annoying stop/start. Did not get much done on the trailer. Did found some old motorcycle shocks and stripped off the springs to use the dampers. Should take the edge off the couple of inches of travel the trailer has. Also went with a slightly longer shackle.

IMG_9864.jpg

Redesigned the kitchen again as well. This has to be version four or five, but I'm liking the direction. Top now opens up to access the electronics. Still struggling with the Fridge/cooler decision.

View attachment Adventure Trailer kitchen ver4.jpg

View attachment 706251

WildernessSV

Not sure about why the attachments act like that... Do you use the photo icon in the toolbar above the writing area of each post or the big paper clip "ATTACH FILES" button below? Maybe that has something to do with it.

WildernessSV

I'm in the middle of sketching up a very similar build and have no idea what I'm doing but your ideas are awesome. I'm trying to get a R9T in the trailer so my length will probably have to be a bit longer, but the rest of your concept is looking awesome.

What did you consider when framing out the frame? That's one part I'm unsure of.. how much cross support is needed, how long should the tongue be?
Looking forward to follow your build!

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I wonder if you have had any issues with your lugs nuts? I am building a similar small trailer to haul my RZR RS1. As I am using 2000 lb torsion axles (so a left & right) which are only available in 5x4.5. I am using a 5x4.5 to 5x5 (5x127mm) adapter/spacer. No issues there as both the axle(s) and spacers use 1/2x20 studs/lug nuts. I was not really happy with the contact area of the lug nuts to wheels (I'm running stock aluminum Rubicon wheels) with the 1/2x20 lug nuts, so I ordered the factory lug studs (mopar#68398367AA) and Rugged Ridge lug nuts in M14-1.5. BUT both the 1/2x20 lug nuts and the aftermarket Rugged Ridge lug nuts while having the correct angle (60°) have significantly less contact area than the OEM lug nuts.

OEM lug nut vs. 1/2x20 lugnut
OEM-v-halfx20.jpg

OEM lug nut vs. M14-1.5 R.R lugnut
OEM-v-RR.jpg

Perhaps less of an issue with the OEM steelies you are running? I know the trailers are light, but my idea is to run exact duplicate wheels/tires on the Gladiator and trailer (just like you), and the 'smaller' contact area seems less than optimal (I'm running 35x12.5x17 like you)

Old bike doc

I looked at a fair number of other trailers as a guide, both in materials as well as design. Tongue coupling design doc attached was helpful. Tongue length came from an estimate of total load and placement on the trailer (I drew it in Corel Draw!). Trailers seem to prefer a tongue weight bias, but I was also keenly aware of what my Jeep will tolerate.

As far as framing goes, I overshot the tube diameters and stuck with 1/8" wall. Hard to go wrong with that formula for a light duty trailer. Cross support was loosely based on how much material I had left over!

My axle is rated for 3500lb, but GVW on trailer rolls out to under 2k. Wanted the larger axle to help tolerate the 35" tires.

I'm completely new to building a trailer as well, but enough folks have already done this that there is plenty of data to guide you.

I'm in the middle of sketching up a very similar build and have no idea what I'm doing but your ideas are awesome. I'm trying to get a R9T in the trailer so my length will probably have to be a bit longer, but the rest of your concept is looking awesome.

What did you consider when framing out the frame? That's one part I'm unsure of.. how much cross support is needed, how long should the tongue be?
Looking forward to follow your build!

Attachments

• Tongue_and_coupling_design.jpg
    Tongue_and_coupling_design.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 73

Old bike doc

I see your concern on that one. I'll be honest, I have not taken a hard look at the axles lug nut contact area. I will now, though! Assuming you are building a light duty trailer, I have to suspect the contact area delta is not meaningful.

I wonder if you have had any issues with your lugs nuts? I am building a similar small trailer to haul my RZR RS1. As I am using 2000 lb torsion axles (so a left & right) which are only available in 5x4.5. I am using a 5x4.5 to 5x5 (5x127mm) adapter/spacer. No issues there as both the axle(s) and spacers use 1/2x20 studs/lug nuts. I was not really happy with the contact area of the lug nuts to wheels (I'm running stock aluminum Rubicon wheels) with the 1/2x20 lug nuts, so I ordered the factory lug studs (mopar#68398367AA) and Rugged Ridge lug nuts in M14-1.5. BUT both the 1/2x20 lug nuts and the aftermarket Rugged Ridge lug nuts while having the correct angle (60°) have significantly less contact area than the OEM lug nuts.

OEM lug nut vs. 1/2x20 lugnut
View attachment 710035

OEM lug nut vs. M14-1.5 R.R lugnut
View attachment 710036

Perhaps less of an issue with the OEM steelies you are running? I know the trailers are light, but my idea is to run exact duplicate wheels/tires on the Gladiator and trailer (just like you), and the 'smaller' contact area seems less than optimal (I'm running 35x12.5x17 like you)

Old bike doc

IMG_0401.JPEG

All primary framing is completed. Next up is kitchen slideout build (I hate woodwork) Jacks need to be relocated inboard a bit to gain departure angle. Expanded steel floor should be here this weekend as well.

Old bike doc

Got a ton completed this weekend.

1) Kitchen box framed out
2) Kitchen largely constructed ($250 worth of hinges:confused:)
3) Awning mounted
4) Gast can test worked (Need one for other side now)
5) Balance of water tank cradle welded in

Upcoming:
1) Order RTT (Basic Smittybilt knock off)
2) frame out rack to match tent
3) Build fold down table
4) Build fenders
5) Wire everything!
6) Weld in expanded steel floor
7) Skin kitchen box (030 aluminum)
8) Paint it all!

adventure traler 01 03-27-2022.jpg

adventure traler 02 03-27-2022.jpg

Old bike doc

Solid weekend.

1) Built mount for propane tank
2) Built doors for kitchen (side door is hinged as well)
3) Installed expanded steel floor
4) Built fold down table
5) Designed and built first Fender
6) Sorted motorcycle wheel chocks
7) Designed ramp
8)

IMG_0614.JPEG

Reactions: mog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member